Angy118's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Plovdiv (BG) - European Capital of Culture 2019

We did a very quick tour in this amazing city, that this year has been named European Capital of Culture 2019 togheter with Matera (Italy). Plovdiv is in Bulgaria not so far from Sofia and it was a very little big surprise, the streets, the center, the old town, the food, everything was good! I want to try  to rebuild with my photos my little trip... So let's start ?

First of all, we went on the main pedestrian street that, a friend of mine, told me that is one of the longest pedestrian streets in Europe (about 2km) and here you can find the sign below (made for European Capital of Culture 2019):Sign on the main pedestrian streetSign on the main pedestrian street

Walking further we arrive to the Ancient Stadium of Philippopolis that is exaclty on the pedestrian street. The strucure is amazing because is totally integrated in the "urban life":

Ancient Stadium of PhilipopolisAncient Stadium of PhilipopolisAncient Stadium of PhilipopolisAncient Stadium of Philipopolis

Main Pedestrian StreetMain Pedestrian Street

Main Pedestrian StreetMain Pedestrian Street

Some shoots of the pedestrian street and... 

...of our shadows ?

That day we were lucky because exactly in this place there was an exibition of some artists that use pieces of the Berlin Wall to create a wonderfull drawings on it.... Amazing! 
IMG_6801-01.jpg
IMG_6792.jpg

IMG_6781.jpgIMG_6791.jpgIMG_6798.jpg IMG_6796-01.jpgI think that these drawings are really really pieces of art and the fact that are drawn on pieces of the Berlin Wall make this exbition really special! I loved it!

IMG_6783.jpg

But these artists painted also some old German car "Trabant" there were amazing too...

IMG_6809-01.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6805.jpg

After we went trought the old town, that is in very good conditions, to reach one of the seven hills of Plovdiv...

IMG_6775.jpg

On the way to the Old Town...

Regional Ethnographic MuseumRegional Ethnographic Museum

The  Regional Ethnographic Museum about the Bulgarian Culture, very very nice (8 LEV each person, more or less 4 €)

IMG_6773.jpg

A small Ortodox Church

And finally we reached the top of Nebet Tepe hill with this beautiful view on the city and ,of course, we waited for the sunset...

Nebet TepeNebet TepeIMG_6758.jpg

...And did some light painted photos ? ...

I hope that you enjoy my post ?

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
14 comments
Level 8

Plovdiv (BG) - European Capital of Culture 2019

@DeniGu this Reply was a copy of the post, please detete it 🙂

I did because there was a rejected issue.

Connect Moderator

Re: Plovdiv (BG) - European Capital of Culture 2019

Thank you for this beautiful post @Angy118 about Plovdiv

I have just released one the two version of your post from the quarantine, letting a Google Moderator to manage the second (identical) one @DeniGu.

Sometimes a legitimate post can trigger the spam filter, but don't worry. The moderators are patrolling the spam quarantine, to release the good post, like this one.

I have Bulgaria as a target for a visit, sometime this year, so your post makes me really happy. I just visited part of the city through Google Maps and, wow, I see why it has been chosen as one of the European Capitals of Culture for 2019.

Congratulations for your beautiful photos

Level 8

@ErmesT Thx a lot for your support!

I went 2 times in Bulgaria and I think that is very special country, full of little surprise to discover 🙂 

Google Moderator

Hi @Angy118,

Just to let you know, your post is now live. Some posts are being automatically marked as spam, apologies for that. You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?.

I'm also going to merge it with your other post, Plovdiv (BG) - European Capital of Culture 2019.

Thank you for the tag, @ErmesT!

By the way, @Angy118, I'm from Plovdiv, and your post made me smile ear to ear! I'm happy that you enjoyed your time, and I hope you have the chance to visit again this year. Do you know that there are a lot of events, festivals, exhibitions, and performances planned? 

I also hope to get the chance to visit Matera, Italy! I'd love to discover its beauties, which brought it the title European Capital of Culture 2019. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Angy118,

Wow, this post about Plovdiv is awesome! I'm glad to read you guys had a good time, so thanks for sharing your experience. My favorite part of Plovdiv is the old town with the colored houses and quirky little paths. Definitely a must see! Did you happen to visit the Kapana art district?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hello @Angy118,

Thank you for this great post, it made me smile. 🙂

For me, Plovdiv is the most beautiful city in Bulgaria, especially the old part of it with the streets, houses and museums. What I like as well about the city is the street art which is present almost everywhere and the little restaurants and bars where you can have a nice glass of wine. 

If you really enjoyed Plovdiv, I suggest you visit Veliko Tarnovo next time - very beautiful too. 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Hi @Angy118,

You've captured great shots of Plovdiv! It's my birth town, so I do visit it quite often as I have relatives there! I'm really excited about this year for the cultural capital and I hope we get some cool and fun events coming along. 

What was your favorite part of the city? What did you enjoy most? I love the Art District (Kapana) most of all, as it's really fun with lots of cool cafes and places to eat. 

Thanks so much for sharing this! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@DeniGu Yes I friend of mine told me that there will a lot of stuff to do, but we had only 1 day so we did just a quick tour. For sure we will come back again to do a more deep visit of this city ?

@AlexaAC Yes, sure full of very nice place to drink and eat, there was a great atmosphere!

IMG_2817.jpgIMG_2819.jpg

I did just quick shoot like these below and we spend time in the shop with the claim PlovEdiv ? ?

@BorrisS of couse I went in Veliko Tarnovo, amazing place, below my favorite picture...

But a that date i didn't know Local Guides Connect ? ? ?

IMG_20180429_133708.jpg

Hi @Angy118,

Your photos are amazing, thanks for sharing.

Plovdiv is truly beautiful, and I'm impressed every single time when I visit it. I'm also happy to see a photo about Veliko Tarnovo as Tsarevets is beautiful. Luckily I've seen the light show there. 

Caption: Photo in front of the European Capital of Culture sign in Plovdiv, Bulgaria (Local Guide @Petra_M)Caption: Photo in front of the European Capital of Culture sign in Plovdiv, Bulgaria (Local Guide @Petra_M)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!