KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Planet or Plastic? Something to think about as Local Guides Clean the World

Will you take the Pledge?  As Local Guides, we can make impacts in our own communities Image: National Geographic SocietyWill you take the Pledge? As Local Guides, we can make impacts in our own communities Image: National Geographic Society

@ErmesT @IlankovanT @DavidTito @br14n @Venance @NirajBhusal @KashifMisidia  @RiverDefender @Julien44 l found this very interesting article from National Geographic Society, titled Planet or Plastic? We Made Plastic. We Depend On It. Now We're Drowning in It, it's part of NGS's "multiyear effort to raise awareness about the global plastic waste crisis. Learn what you can do to reduce your own single-use plastics, and take your pledge."

I remember @YK1001 started the "reduce our plastics" consumption discussion last April with his Local Guides Clean the World related media news BBC article: Companies sign up to pledge to cut plastic pollution.

With Ermes' new initiative, Local Guides Clean The World-2.0 initiative, the National Geographic Society's links I provided above gives us more "food for thought" and more background material and information of what is currently happening in the world. 

What disturbs me the most is what happens when one tosses plastic. After seeing the photos, makes me think never to use a plastic straw, let alone a single-use water bottle, again.

What do you think? I can really see Ermes' idea of using Google Maps to help to work with our local garbage companies to alert where we see garbage and to work on disposing of it safely. 

If you find any articles that discuss or relate to the Planet or Plastic? debate, please add them here so we can read, share, and discuss.

Cheers,

Karen

34 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Planet or Plastic? Something to think about as Local Guides Clean the World

Este es un gran artículo @KarenVChin , el tomar conciencia de que el plástico mata a la naturaleza es muy importante, en este sentido en Argentina la marca de cervezas Corona (en una actividad a nivel global), esta haciendo una intervención en el marco del eslogan "El plástico no pertenece al océano", las actividades en las playas Argentinas se realizaron en el mes de enero pasado promocionando los Clean-Up por todos los medios de comunicación y solicitando a todos los voluntarios que deseaban participar, para recoger los plásticos de las playas, el éxito fue muy importante, he interesante ya que marca un grado de toma de conciencia del tema, por parte de los participantes.

El plástico en números en Argentina (fuente: articulo del portal info Negocios)

• 36% de la superficie de nuestro país es mar.
  • El argentino consume en promedio 42 kg de plástico por año.
  • Solo se recicla un 25% del plástico que se produce.
  • Argentina se encuentra en el puesto 28 de contaminación marina de un total de 192 países.
  • El 82% de los residuos recolectados en la costa de la provincia de Buenos Aires en 2017 eran plástico: botellas, bolsas, tapitas y sorbetes son los protagonistas.

La limpieza de lugares tan grandes como las playas es un trabajo gigante, casi institucional o de alguna manera empresarial como el caso de esta cerveza que al margen de publicitar su marca hace un bien social, si mas marcas realizaran lo mismo, el impacto seria realmente notorio,  en este sentido también es interesante indicar como la marca de hamburguesas de los arcos dorados, a su manera esta sacando algo del plástico que utiliza como los sorbetes. 

Pero no hay dudas de que el platico y la basura y de como evitarla es un tema que comienza en casa y la escuela en una educación diaria y continua, sigue en el estado a nivel normas, que se cumplan en forma severa y sin permisividad sobre ellas. Y termina en las empresas que tienen que usar reemplazo viodegradables.

Farid.

Connect Moderator

This is awesome @FaridTDF . It really makes you think.

What shocks me is an Argentinian consumes 42 Kg (or 93 lbs) of plastic per person per year.  Or your country equaling 44.9 million in total population x 93 lbs/person = 4.1757 Billion lbs or 1.894 billion kgs.  Now if only 25% of this is recycled, that means 3 Billion lbs is still ended up in landfill or in the ocean!  And this is only one country's issues.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 9
Connect Moderator

Lamentablemente los cálculos que realizas son terriblemente correctos @KarenVChin , no hay una disposición del gobierno nacional o provincial de atacar este problema seriamente y con medidas incentivando realmente el reciclaje, no solamente como una moda en TV o porque es suena bien para el publico, una verdad que muchas veces pasa a segundo plano en estos temas es que el reciclar cuesta plata no es gratis, hacer utensilios reciclables cuestan caro para el consumidor o para el fabricante de productos al tener luego que hacerse cargo del reciclado de los mismos. montar una   recicladora a gran escala requiere ingentes cantidades de dinero como para comenzar, luego esta adaptar todo los hábitos de recolección de basura para que esa recicladora utilice esos materiales, no es solo decirlo, es mucha, mucha plata, y son pocos los gobiernos que lo quieren poner, por algo USA se retiro del Protocolo de Kyoto o China no firmo todos los acuerdos para ser mas limpios, creo que nosotros con estos pequeños granitos de arena como lo que viene realizando @ErmesT ayuda a tomar conciencia y sentar las bases para movimientos mayores. Pero si estoy seguro que la limpieza del planeta es a nivel gubernamental especialmente.

Farid.

Connect Moderator

@FaridTDF , it is embarrassing what my country has done in terms of not joining and participating in the Kyoto Protocol and dropping out of the Paris Agreement for internal US political reasons.

Coincidentally, this BBC News YouTube video showed up on my feed. This Swedish shopping "mall" is right next to the city's recycling center. So everything that is sold here is someone else's cast offs, or items that were taken to this recycling center to discard or dump. 

Here in the U.S. we have Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Habit for Humanity ReStore, which are non-profits that take items that people don't want anymore. This helps reduce the amount of stuff that can end in landfill (garbage dump), gives new life to items that can still be used or worn, and creates jobs (and job training) in local communities.  So something similar to this BBC News video I attached.

These stores are located throughout the US and can easily be found on Google Maps as "thrift stores." 

Cheers,

Karen 

Connect Moderator

Gracias por compartir el video @KarenVChin , es muy ilustrativo de lo que si se puede hacer sin tener que gastar mucho,  el planeta hay que salvarlo ya que sino el nos dejara a nosotros.

Farid.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @KarenVChin,

Thank you for starting this post and raising the awareness that every single human being on this world should consider as one of this century's greatest problems.

Earth is just our home, if we destroy it every day, bit by bit, at the end it will all turn back to us. I hope it is not too late and there is enough time that all of us start thinking globally.

I know that @JavieraAu is a very strong supporter of the fight against the use of plastic and she might want to share her opinion and way of thinking as well.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you for this post @KarenVChin , that raise up the awareness about "the plastic issue".

I am re-reading just now the introduction of the initial post of our "clean the world project", finding a lot of analogies with the National Geographic articles.

I am trying to imagine the data shared by @FaridTDF , but the total amount is something that is difficult to visually imagine.

I am a visual person, what I see is impacting my feeling much more than an abstract number, so I try to associate a number to what I see.

A few numbers: Looking at the recycling data, I am living in one of the best place in Europe (Treviso).

84.5% of the collected waste is recycled, and my province is one of the European excellence: (https://zerowasteeurope.eu/2015/02/new-case-study-the-story-of-contarina-85-recycling-is-possible/). You can also see this article from the European Union Website: Good practices: integrated waste management model: 'Door to Door', 'Pay As You Throw'

BTW, if I walk around, I can see (I am visual, I already told you) abandoned waste all around me, on rivers and even in natural oasis. If this happens here, in a place that is one of the European excellence for waste collection and for recycle, what can I see in other areas?

Can we continue to choose plastic? Probably we have to, for some aspect of our life but, for sure, we do not need objects to throw away, after having used them only once. What we are throwing away, in this inconsiderate way, is our life on the planet. The planet itself will survive to us but, if we want to stay, we have to choose the planet.

For this reason, reporting is important. Will Local Guides Clean The World-2.0 clean the planet? Probably the answer is no but, if we start to report, if we start to push every single local Authority, we will help to increase the awareness. Every walk starts from a first step. We have a long way in front of us, but we also have one year already spent in cleaning the world.

My hope for the future? The answer is here

Caption: a Local Guide taking photos of abandoned waste, for reporting them - photos: Local Guide @ermestCaption: a Local Guide taking photos of abandoned waste, for reporting them - photos: Local Guide @ermest

Level 8

@KarenVChin  WOw this big commitment here I have all so taken upon myself to start My map awareness in my first narration video Here