Austinelewex's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Pine tree (a rare gem)

Greetings Local Guides! 

Do  you have an unusual giant tree in your locality?

Image of cluster of pinesImage of cluster of pines

Local Guides pose for a photo with a giant trunk in Ngwo pine forestLocal Guides pose for a photo with a giant trunk in Ngwo pine forest

It Is really unusual for you to see a cluster of pine in an area here in Nigeria, Pine tree is not a native tree here in Nigeria. However, it amazes Everyone to see area entirely dominated by Pine trees hence [Ngwo Pine Forest] 

Local guide Vie behind a gaint pine treeLocal guide Vie behind a gaint pine tree

and because of its importance and use, Pine especially the one at Ngwo is conserved and use as a Tourist destination.

Pine tree  is any conifer in the genus Pinus of the family Pinaceae. Pinus is the sole genus in the subfamily Pinoideae. They possess huge economic importance through the timber trade and are easily identifiable due to their characteristic cone-shaped growth form and needle-like leaves.

A cross section view of pine forest across the gorgeA cross section view of pine forest across the gorge

Closer image of Pine forest NgwoCloser image of Pine forest Ngwo

Unlike other giant tree in Nigeria like  Ugba Obeche Ogbono which are mostly deciduous and some are evergreen, Pine is coniferous. 

These pictures were taken during our first meetup this year (Hike to the End of Love Recapitulation) -"Hike to the end of Love", on which we discussed extensively. My friend Paul who is very knowledgeable about trees made mention that African Oil Palm tree and Pine are from the same Clade. This assumption is actually true because both are vascular plants and maybe that is why Pine is able to survive in Nigeria.?

P.S: This is my part of #monthlytopic of August initiated by Local guide @HiroyukiTakisawa which theme is: a tree in your neighbourhood. I also give him the right to access the images. Actually Ngwo is the first place the British settled in Enugu.

Thank you. Have a great weekend!!?

Ngwo, Nigeria
78 comments
Level 10

Re: Pine tree (a rare gem)

Hi @Austinelewex 

Very nice Pine trees view and and interesting post and places..😍

Thanks for sharing 🤗

MD MAHBUB HYDER
Level 10

Great post @Austinelewex 

Thanks for introducing with the 'Pine tree'.

Biswajit Chakraborty, Greetings from Dhaka-Bangladesh
Level 8

@Austinelewex The place looks so cool with all those pine trees. I wish we had a place like that in my area. 🙂 Thank you for sharing this post with us.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Austinelewex 

Fine tree aww one of beautiful tree but for my self fruit tree more tempting LOL

I CAN'T eat fruit fine is my reason ha ha

Level 9

Thank you so much for your beautiful comment @MAHBUB_HYDER 

Do you have Pine in Bangladesh?

Level 9

Thanks for your awesome comment and appreciation @Designer_Biswajit 

Have a lovely weekend 🙂

Level 9

Wk wk wk @Nyainurjanah 

You can't get food of your mind so as me.😋

Unfortunately for us, pine tree seeds are cone and are not edible. 😌

Thank you for your beautiful comment. 

Have a lovely weekend. 😊

Connect Moderator

Hello, @Austinelewex 

Woow, they are giant!! Maybe you know it, as there is a bonsai culture in Japan, a pine tree is a very familiar tree for us. Of course, I'm also like it:-) Thank you for sharing!

Level 10

Thanks my friend @Austinelewex 

You know, Today is a public holiday in our country. Because, we celebrated this day as a day of mourning. On this day the father of our nation Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was killed along with his family. 

You can read more about this day Here if you want.

Thanks again my friend.

Biswajit Chakraborty, Greetings from Dhaka-Bangladesh