lanew's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Pictures inside of a Store.

Many times google asks me to share photos of the inside of a store. Is this allowed should I take photos or should I get permission of store personal before taking photos.

Thank you,

-Lane

2 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Pictures inside of a Store.

@lanew It's hard to say a general rule about taking photos inside a store. It varies depending on a lot of things. 

Firstly, whether there is a legal law that states one cannot take photos of stores without prior permission in your location, that you may need to get legal advice. However, usually, for most part, there isn't a law like this, but you may want to check first. We should always abide by the law and regulations of the place.

Secondly, even if it's not a legal issue, it also depends on the store owner or staff. Some would welcome taking and sharing photos as it helps their business to reach more people. Some are afraid of competition getting information about their store. That if it's unclear, you may want to just ask kindly, because ultimately, more online presence could mean more potential customers for the business, and we should explain it that way also.

I personally have had instances after  I explained about uploading to Maps, some owners even suggested extra photos on certain angles of the store etc.

Then the next question may come on if they queried you on if you are really a contributor on Google Maps, and when that does happen, just open up your Google Maps app and show your Contributions page. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hi @lanew

It is always better to take permission of store staff before taking inside Photos of any store.

Even Google also suggest to take permission before photo shoot.

Vijay Desai.

Level 10
Solution

@lanew It's hard to say a general rule about taking photos inside a store. It varies depending on a lot of things. 

Firstly, whether there is a legal law that states one cannot take photos of stores without prior permission in your location, that you may need to get legal advice. However, usually, for most part, there isn't a law like this, but you may want to check first. We should always abide by the law and regulations of the place.

Secondly, even if it's not a legal issue, it also depends on the store owner or staff. Some would welcome taking and sharing photos as it helps their business to reach more people. Some are afraid of competition getting information about their store. That if it's unclear, you may want to just ask kindly, because ultimately, more online presence could mean more potential customers for the business, and we should explain it that way also.

I personally have had instances after  I explained about uploading to Maps, some owners even suggested extra photos on certain angles of the store etc.

Then the next question may come on if they queried you on if you are really a contributor on Google Maps, and when that does happen, just open up your Google Maps app and show your Contributions page. 

Hope this helps.