TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photo Tips - POINT & SHOOT Cameras (Post 2) - TravellerG

Hi dear all,

..POINT & SHOOT CAMERAS..

‘A point-and-shoot camera’ (also known as Compact Camera or P&S Camera) – is well defined by its name:

1. Switch on the camera, frame the scene (point) and then simply click (Shoot).
  2. The Compact size & Simple operation made P&S cameras, the most sold cameras in the world (Mobile Cameras not considered).

Main & popular features:

• MAIN: Lens is fixed to the body of the camera. (enables the optimal matching of the Lens & Camera Body)
  • Earlier versions used to be Still cameras (most of the current models have video capability).
  • Lower end models have fixed focus and most (current) models have Autofocus.
  • Other options (manual, Aperture & Shutter priority, etc.) are today available in advanced models.
  • Built-in Flash (Hot-shoe = External flash facility not available) is usually available.
  • Compact in size and weight (makes the camera highly portable)
  • Acceptable number of shots from a fully charged battery (Battery Lasts for a week or so for casual photographers [without flash])
  • Some advanced models have ‘Optical Zoom’ (which is far better than any other Zooming system) ranging from 15X to 83X.
  • Even a person with zero knowledge of Photography can shoot, very good Photos, with minimum training.
  • The same way, some of the latest models have the capability to shoot in RAW mode, also.

Limitations:

• Most of these compact cameras (usually) use small 1/2.3" Image Sensors, which limits the quality of the ‘Images’.
  • Very Limited ‘Manual Controls’ (PASM = Program, Aperture priority, Shutter priority, & Manual modes) which is one of the main drawbacks of these cameras by which Pros go away from these.
  • Limitations of view finders - Many of the P&S (even higher-end models) lacks a view finder – If available, the quality is far inferior to DSLRs.
  • Once the camera is switched on, it takes few seconds to get ready for a shot – many times, you may miss a particular shot, also.
  • Switching off also is slow, especially when the zoom lens is extended.
  • Auto-Focusing also is slow, particularly in low lights - to be considered as an important aspect when you go for purchasing.
  • Cameras with zoom facility takes, longer time than the DSLRs & Mirrorless.
  • Usually Low ISO ranges
  • Limited Aperture settings
  • Poor, Low-Light capabilities (usually).
  • Absence of additional power source – (Once the battery is discharged, the camera needs to be recharged for the next use -takes time.)
  • Lower end models use disposable batteries (use & throw), which is not ideal.

In terms of portability, the quality of shots of DSLR and Mirror-Less gets defeated, many times – a Point & Shoot camera will be clear winner.

Hope the Points are clear and useful to all.

NOTE:

Having said all the above ‘Limitations’, most of the manufacturers are trying to reduce/eliminate most/all of these, in their advanced models. If you own some of the new series P&S, some/many of these limitations may be minimal or absent, too.

In the next Post, let us briefly consider the “Selection Parameters” of a Point & Shoot Camera.

My Conclusion:

• For casual Camera users who want to shoot personal/family functions, vocations, casual gathering, etc. a mid-range P&S will be better.

Joint Contributors to this post:

'@Venky_lightbug 

'@sonnyNg

@PaulPavlinovich

Dear LG friends, @IrrPavlova @davidhyno  @AlexaAC @br14n @Krishnabanoth @JohnPeter  @malband  & others, can I request you to add any 'Advantages & Disadvantages', which I might have left out, please?

Thanks.

PS:

The previous Post-1 is Here

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

19 comments
Level 7

Re: Photo Tips - POINT & SHOOT Cameras (Post 2) - TravellerG

Hey...

You have covered almost all the points. Kudos.

Here are my few observations.

1. The cost to be considered in the Pro for P&S.

2. The mobile phone camera sensor sizes are matching the mid range P&S cameras, would you still recommend to buy a P&S camera? Isn't it better to use the phone camera itself?

3. There are limitations in the Aperture sizes too just like ISO. You cannot achieve Bokeh effect with P&S unless you have a fixed aperture model like Panasonic FZ.

Click| Travel| Repeat
Follow on Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/venky_lightbug/
Former Google Contributor

Hi @TravellerG,

Thank you for the next chapter!

Indeed the missing of the view finder is a drawback for most of the point and shoot cameras. Perhaps it is designed that way so that the touch screen would be as much big as possible?

Interesting questions, @Venky_lightbug!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 10

Dear @Venky_lightbug - Thank you so much for your involvement & contribution - I shall take your (relevant) suggestions to the Main body of my post.

But, for our discussion:

Dear @sonnyNg -

1. "...The cost to be considered..." : The current market price of P&S Camera may be from $100 to $1,300! That is why I did not bring it into consideration.
  2. "...Isn't it better to use the phone camera..." You are very correct, dear Venky,  that the image sensors of many P&S and mobile camera are comparable; but the very fact [I thought to bring as a separate POST] the P&S gives the most important parametric controls:

a. Optical Zoom (15 X to 83 X) and

b. Controllable aperture... & few more.

3. "...There are limitations in the Aperture sizes..." - You are very correct - I am sorry, I should have included this point & I shall do it, Immediately.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Yes, you are right, dear @sonnyNg, I should have mentioned this point - shall do it now.

NO, a touch screen cannot replace a view finder in many cases, especially:

1. in bright light  and
  2. a viewfinder allows to hold the camera to our body (eyes/face) enabling us to take more clear photos with less shake.
  3. The display screen always drinks battery, where as a viewfinder consumes much less.
  4.  ...few more

Former Google Contributor

It is indeed much more practical, @TravellerG.

The feeling of aiming your shot with your own eyes is still much better. : ]

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 9

Hello @TravellerG 

Thank you for sharing with us.

That's a wonderful post, i'm looking for such a camera. Could you please share the model name of the camera as showing in the post.

Level 10

Interesantes aporte @TravellerG !

Queremos ver mas posteos sobre el tema 🙂 

Level 7

Hi @TravellerG 

First of all thank you for mentioning in the post as a contributor. I am honored and glad to pitch in.

Coming to our discussion,

1. We need to keep cost as a relative term. Like we generally say Mirror less are costlier than DSLR for a reason. We can take into consideration the medium range cost in each segment. Not comparing cost to create same quality. So I feel in terms of cost P&S<DSLR<MLD. Share your views 🙂

2. I agree. Mobiles miss the optical zoom and aperture controls. Wish Nokia listens to this 😛

3. Please don't be sorry. We are just having a healthy discussion for exchange of information and Ideas.

Click| Travel| Repeat
Level 7

@TravellerG @sonnyNg 

Totally true.. View finder is much better than Touch Screen.

But also some P&S have Digital View finders which consume lesser battery compared to big screens and also provide live feed about how the picture gonna look after capturing, which can be useful for amateur photographers.

Click| Travel| Repeat