TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photo Tips - How to “Select a P&S Camera – (Post-1/2) – TravellerG

..How to “Select A P&S Camera ..

A General Guide for every one - A reference post

Instead of suggesting a Brand/Model, (which may reflect only my liking), I am giving the guidance for the important parameters and how to select the same. With these clarities, if you search Google, I am sure, you will get your right choice.

I am dividing the suggestions into two classes so that one can take the decision more clearly.

1. The Camera for actual beginners to camera photography and very casual users, who do not want to invest much. ($200 to $300) [This Post]
  2. The next category, who are using mobile camera today and started to feel the ‘Limitations’ or those who want to explore Camera above mobile camera, to move to DSLR or Mirrorless ($300 to 500), later. An item, probably you will retain even after buying a DSLR or DML.

Note: Remember, in this, discussed price range, you may get Lower end DSLRs and few DMLs, too. Here, you may need to compromise on certain aspects, for which you will need to invest on additional lenses or upgrades. [Next Post]

1. I am not suggesting the ‘Gift’ level (below $150) cameras here.

ENTRY LEVEL P&S:

• Weight & Size: Actually, this is the most important aspect by which, P&S Camera is selected.
    • Weight: best suitable to the user – but available from some 200 grams, but even up to 500 -600 grams should be fine.
    • Size: If, all your technical requirements are met, and the camera can slide into your pocket, then this is the best size
  • Lens fixed to the body: This is a positive aspect, because the manufacturer can match & fix the best lens to the body. This also avoids dozens of problems, from mechanical fitting errors, to electric loose contact to, hundreds of others.
  • Megapixel: Without going technical, I would suggest a camera with more than 16 Megapixel will be fine; 18 or 20 are excellent (for normal photo viewing)
  • Image Sensors: At this point, do not bother with this parameter – mostly you will get a 1/2.3 Sensor: You need to search for the more important, Powerful ‘Image Processor’ (Read reviews of Image processor, if needed, separately)
  • Auto-focus = this is a MUST function. Also look at the speed of the autofocus – looking at a reputed camera review, one can easily make out this aspect.
  • Fast boot is an important aspect for many people; most of the new generation P&S takes care of this.
  • Optical Zoom: For this aspect, let me give you few points. Too LONG Zooms brings in problems, even with image stabiliser, particularly in low light & increases the weight, reduces the quality, etc.

How much Zoom do you need?

In DSLR (DML), the Normal (generally preferred ranges) Lenses are

1. Wide 24mm to 70mm: This is the one usually we use for general purpose shots.
  2. Zoom 70mm to 200mm: Normally is used to reach closer view and will be needed for many situations; using this lens, intuitive close-ups also can be shot, with good level of Bokeh.
  3. 200mm to 600mm or more: Usually used by Wild life photographers, Birdwatchers, etc., generally not needed by common users.

Now, in P&S Cameras, Zoom is (usually) mentioned as ‘X’ factor (Magnification factor). And keeping the above DSLR (DML) parameters in mind, we can suggest:

• A Minimum Marked Zoom Needed will be 8X (equivalent of 24mm to 200mm)
  • I personally do not recommend zooms above 25X (600mm Equivalent), for many reasons.

Digital Zoom: is just like enlarge & crop a photo, which will result in very low quality outputs, compared to optical zoom – seriously recommend to avoid to use, if at all available.

• Preferred ISO Range: if possible try for ISO 12,500, but minimum 6,400 is a must.
  • Viewfinder: At an entry level, many manufacturers may not provide this facility. If available it will be an added advantage; however, in entry level P&S, do not consider this as a MUST.
  • LCD 2.7/3 Inch Screen: Surely will be available; but do not expect the ‘Touch features as a must
    • Ensure the visibility in bright light, through reviews & manufacturer claims.
    • View angle should be good.
    • Screen Tilt: is preferred for Selfie fans & Family groups. But do not invest too much for this aspect.
  • Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC: Are surely beneficial features, but spending too much is not worth, if you have patience, to upload manually, after the shooting.
  • Image Stabilizing: Many manufacturers offer Optical & Electronic Stabilising. If this additional cost is affordable, it is very much advantageous, especially at higher zoom levels. As of now, optical stabilizing is superior to Electronic Stabilising.
  • Self-Timer (2 Sec Min) is an important feature.
  • Camera with a flash is definitely useful, although the flash power may be low.
  • Manual mode will be a big benefit, but cannot expect in all models.
  • Carry bag, Extra SD Card, additional Battery, etc. are added advantages
  • Year of Launch: IMPORTANT: The camera technology is developing, almost day by day; hence the Year of Launch of the Model of the Camera (Not manufacturing date) is very important. Personally, I would not recommend a model (even for second hand) which is older than 3 years (Preferred within 2 years).
  • Video resolution of 1980 x1080 will be the best for the practical usage.
  • 4K Video: This feature is NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL, as in this range, even if the manufacturer offers 4K video (just a marketing gimmick), it may have only low quality (15 fps) – Recommended NOT to have it.
  • Availability of RAW file format: Surely not recommended as the use of this camera is not in the professional area.
  • SD Cards: Do not go for very high speed & high storage Capacity, as the requirement will be limited and the photo size also will be small (3 MB, average).
  • Low Light: Do not expect miracles in this level P&S Camera.

Now, If you still feel that you need a better camera, then look into the next post.

Dear @IrrPavlova @PaulPavlinovich  @sonnyNg @Venky_lightbug @RonnieDEK @Avraham_Jurado @KatyaL @Zcar77 @NirmalTeja @afrademon - your contributions can make this more useful, could you, please?

Thanks,

PS:

Previous post on P&S Camera is Here.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

10 comments
Level 9

Re: Photo Tips - How to “Select a P&S Camera – (Post-1/2) – TravellerG

Thank you @TravellerG  for excellent tips!

It is nessecary to follow them for me.

Best wishes,

Former Google Contributor

Hi @TravellerG,

Thank you for tagging me and for making this summary with tips and information about the P&S cameras selection.

It is really detailed!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @TravellerG,

It is a great read, thank you once again! : ]

As you have mentioned about the fast boot, I do see that the more compact a device is, the faster it loads and does all the functions. 

Overall, with the build in Wi-fi option can come in really handy, as you can use your phone to press to capture. I tend to do it, when I am by myself with the camera set up from a significant location.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 8

This is very good information about the subject of camera and specifications of camera or photography. This will definitely helps us. Thanks. 

Level 10

Happy to note that the post is useful to you dear @helga19 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

👍🙏 dear @KatyaL, thanks for the response

Level 10

Yes, dear @sonnyNg - Entry level is fine, but, now a days,  intermediate & advanced level P&S cameras have started overlapping with Mirrorless features (Except for interchangeable lenses).

Level 10

Thank you @RakeshMaloo for your kind words.

You know, if you type '@' before the username, then user will be notified; example if you would have posted your post, typing @TravellerG, I would have got notification - hope you will reply me with '@ TAG',

Thanks.

PS:

The next post also will be very useful, regs

Level 7

very well written article @TravellerG

This will be useful for someone in search for a basic P&S Camera.

Here are couple of my inputs,

1. Battery- It would be better to have Li-Ion batteries for easy recharging and longer life. But if used majorly for travel in remote location where getting a power source would be trouble, selecting a camera with removable Alkaline batteries.

2. Connectivity - WiFi and HDMI connection these days have become pretty common, so be sure to buy one with them as it helps in easy transfer and viewing between different platforms. You cannot rely on SD Card Readers everywhere.

3. Screen- If available in the same price, movable screen would provide more flexibility in angles during capture. That is one advantage I miss in DSLRs.

There are other points to remember too but I guess that would be required if you are in search for an Advance P&S.

Click| Travel| Repeat
Follow on Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/venky_lightbug/