TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photo Tips - Best Memory Card for your Camera - TravellerG

.. Which Memory card is best for your camera? ..

or

.. Know your Memory Card..

SD Card E.jpg

HI friends,

This question is repeatedly asked by many and hence, I am trying to give an answer in a non-technical manner.                       

My suggestion is to understand some of the Letters or Markings on a typical SD Card. And this in turn, will guide you to decide your Card. Understanding a little bit of these details (we will not go technical) will help you in future too.

Markings' on a typical SD (Secured Digital) Card: (Referring to the image, given above)

Mark -1: 32 GB = this indicates the storage capacity of the card, which you already know. (Can be 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512GB [up to 2 TB])

Tip:

1. I would suggest, for a normal Still photographer, 2 Nos of 32 GB. (this will be more safer).
  2. If you need to shoot longer 4K Videos or in RAW format stills, opt 2 Nos of 64 GB.
  3. Suggested 2 Cards, because if something happens to one card, the 2nd card can save you.

Mark -2: SDHC or SDXC – This again describes the Storage Capacity; if the card carries the mark:

1. SDHC (Secured Digital HIGH Capacity), then it will have 4 GB to 32 GB Storage Capacity. &
  2. SDXC (Secured Digital EXTENDED Capacity) can have storage capacity between 64 GB to 2 TB.

Tip: Depending upon your selection of 32 or 64GB, this LETTERS will automatically follow.

Mark -3: Rated Speed: this figure is ‘Data Transfer Speed’ claimed by the manufacturer – usually, the read speed of the card is mentioned, which is higher than the write speed.

Tip: For practical purpose, to shoot without ‘Drop of Frames’, we need a rated speed (I recommend) of 60 MB/s or above.

Mark -4: Speed Class 10: this is an earlier classification & we need Class 10 (10MB/s minimum; the actual speed may be much higher, than 10 MB/s)

Mark -5: U3 (UHS Class): one of the latest standards, defining the minimum (sustained) write speed: we need U3 (30 MB/s, minimum).

Tip:  (for Point 4 & 5): When we say U Class 3, Class 10 automatically follows – ie, we need U3 with C10.

Mark -6: SDHC-I (or SDXC-I) (ie. UHS Class I): Up to 104 MB/s sustained write (bus) speed – we need UHS Class I Card.

Mark -7: V30: Video Speed Class – we need V30 for best, high resolution video recordings & playback.

NOTE: for High quality (4K, like) video recording, we need (ideally) up to 100 MegaBITS/Sec. (Mb/s) = 12.5 MegaBytes/Sec (MB/s) recording speed.

Tip:  (for Point 6 & 7): For Stable, continuous Video recording, UHS Class 1 & Video Class V30 is most ideal for 4K, 360 Spherical, Virtual Reality, etc.; hence we need UHS I & V30.

NOTE: The international organization, the 'SD Association', framed different specification, (from time to time) through different Versions 1, 1.1, 2, 3 etc., enabling better speed, capacity & other parameters. Thus, different Figures, Characters, etc. came on SD Cards - Few of these markings are repetitions/overlapping.

Hope, these data will help you to identify your ideal card….

What is not marked (& Important for you):

The Pro Series Cards, normally are very sturdy (ie. Usually, Shock-proof, temperature-proof, waterproof and x-ray-proof, etc., with longer guarantee periods). The indicative price of a Standard, regular 32 GB card is around $12, when the Pro card will be around $16 (with the above parameters).

‘LOCK’ on a SD Card is to enable / disable the Write (Edit [modify], delete, etc.) protection only; one can read the content of a Locked card.

NOTE: Technically speaking, these parameters are common for Standard SD Cards and Micro SD Cards – ie. For your Modern Mobile cameras capable of shooting with 4K resolution or DSLRs & Mirrorless, these specifications are recommended.

Remember:

• Memory cards have long life and in this fast changing technology field, try to get a faster card & & a Pro series card, which may cost a little bit extra – but, it will be worth for you.
  • For sure, we would recommend a Card from a well-established brand than a cheaper product, for different types of reliability.

====================

Dear friends, @IrrPavlova @JanVanHaver @davidhyno @MoniDi @BishowvijayaP  @NirmalTeja @Anonymous @RaveFX @HUMBERTO_V @br14n - your comments, suggestions and remarks are welcome.

Thanks

PS: Those who are interested to know further details, are welcome.

Note:

My previous Technical Post - Starburts Here

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

19 comments
Level 8

Re: Photo Tips - Best Memory Card for your Camera - TravellerG

Thanks for your tips, now I know more about SD card from your post. 

I 've checked my SD card of my camera and its 95mb/s SDHC U3 Class 10 Grade 

Level 10

Hi dear @afrademon 

1. Thanks for your response.
  2. Happy that, my post was interesting & contributive to you.
  3. Your spec is fine; looks it should be 32 GB - Good.

PS:

If you TAG me, I will get notification, otherwise, we may miss you. To Tag, use the '@'followed by the username - in my case '@TravellerG' - I think you forgot to TAG me - it is fine. I have seen all your 3 posts and appreciate - All posts are Good 🙏 [incidentally asked for some details; if you could provide it, it will be very kind of you.]

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 7

That's very helpful

Level 10

Thank you dear friend, @RaveFX. Happy to know that the topic was interesting to you.

Regs

Level 8

hi @TravellerG ,

yes, you are right, my memory is 32 GB.

hope we will get some more post from you like this 🙂

Level 10

Yes, dear friend @afrademon  - God willingly, I shall try to post few 'Popular Photographic' topics in non-technical style - let us see; {Like, what is Auto-focusing, how it actually works, how many types of Automatic focusing, etc.. etc - on different topics}. Hope, I can expect your supports...

It looks, you have good grip in Photography - Congrats! Appreciate...

If time permits, Here  is my profile & I have published many such topics - I hope, few posts will be interesting to you.

Regs

Google Moderator

Hi @TravellerG ,

Another great and useful post from you!

I knew some of the the markings on the SD card but I have to be honest that most of them were just some numbers on it.

I also have a 32 GB memory card for my DSLR camera so I am following your advice already. So far, every post from you helped me a lot and I try to remember your tips whenever I practise my photography skills.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice presentation post @TravellerG very interesting and will help if you are up to upgrade your card.

Thank you.

Level 10

Happy to know that the post was helpful to you, dear @MoniDi.

"..... have a 32 GB memory card..." = that means, it is SDHC! Good, selection. Probably, it may not be V30 - don't worry, next purchase go for a U3,V30 & Pro Card. All the best...