TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photo Tips - AFL & AEL (Auto Focus) - TravellerG

Where we left:

AE = Auto exposure & EV = Exposure Value (Details Here)

This post is about Auto Focus LOCK & Auto Exposure LOCK

AFL = Auto focus Lock   &   AEL = Auto Exposure Lock

Are they interconnected? = YES

To start from a defined point: Let us group Cameras as [we need this in the later posts]:

1. Fixed Focus camera = everything will be in focus, but with an average clarity (not as sharp as cameras with focusing facility); also, the effects like Macro Photography*, Bokeh effect*, etc. cannot be shot in such cameras. [* = Explained in another post]
  2. Focusing enable Cameras:
    1. Manual Focusing = Turn the lens (clock or anti-clock) to get the object in focus = Object will be sharp, clear with correct colours.
    2. Auto focus:
      1. Touch Aided auto focus = You need to touch the object to get finer focus.
      2. Normal Auto focus = No touch aided focusing facility or may not be needed.

How the focusing is achieved?

Focusing is achieved by changing the distance of the lens (may be a set of lenses), from the Image Sensor; a micro-motor does this job, within the mobile/ camera.

There are many types of Auto Focus System; but, the basic Auto Focus system is known as “Contrast” focusing = the contrast of light falling on the image sensor =comparing bright & less bright or more bright areas, to decide the correct focus.

The Processor of the Camera uses this 'Contrast' data and finds the best focus. Although, the actual process is, much more complicated, this is for the basic understanding.

You might have noticed that once you start focusing, (especially in very low light), the object goes blurred and comes to focus – this is because, the camera hunts to get the accurate focusing. This situation will be more in video with moving objects, and when you change the frame of a camera between high light and low light areas; these are the situations, which you may be remembering… Is it not?

This is when the Auto-Focusing system (AF) & Auto Exposure system (AE), try together to do their best and, usually struggles, resulting in ‘focus shifting’ or ‘focus hunting, making the photo blurred.!

Here is where the AFL (= Auto Focus Locking) and AEL (= Auto Exposure Locking) becomes handy. Let us conclude, this topic in the next post.

Hope it is clear; request you all to respond so that, I can explain any part, more in detail (if needed). For few people, this part may be boring - but once you understand, this part, it will help you a lot, to take better photos.

@DeniGu @PoliMC @AlexaAC @JavieraAu @davidhyno @Saravanakanth @NareshDarji @sonnyNg @AbdullahAM @TPattanaik

Thanks,

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

14 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Photo Tips - AFL & AEL (Auto Focus) - TravellerG

Thank you @TravellerG,

This is very useful information.

I am planning to buy a new camera and once I do, I will make sure to try out these settings.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Awesome, @TravellerG!

Thanks for sharing the focusing tips! I understand this applies to cameras, but I'm wondering do you have any focusing suggestions we can apply to a smartphone, for example?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @TravellerG,

Thanks for another valuable post! 

Regarding the usage of auto/manual focus, I would always go for the camera with a bit more optimized options with auto focus.

Reasons for that, as my experience with the Canon EOS M10 or also Canon 80D, with the manual focusing would be indeed a great tool to capture photos with the exact amount of blurring or focusing of any detail of a photo. 

However it may have some setbacks when I would like to make a video, that is why I would also keep a point and shoot type of camera, as a secondary tool.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this valuable information @TravellerG

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Google Moderator

Hi @TravellerG,

I just wanted to thank you for the tag, because this post gives a great explanation about focusing, and it helped me better understand the process taking place inside the camera. 

When I take photos, I usually opt for auto focus, but I'd really appreciate it if you share a topic dedicated to mastering manual focusing. To me, manual focusing brings out an object better, and gives a deeper feel about a photo.

Thank you!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Sorry, dear @AlexaAC, this is applicable to MOBILE Cameras, too.

In this series, I am mainly focusing on Mobile Cameras.

regards

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

You are very right, dear @sonnyNg

Level 10

Hi dear @MoniDi

Basically, these tips, hints are for mobile cameras, only.

Here is the next post of the Auto Focus Lock /Auto Exposure Lock, very useful for Mobile Camera Users; may be you may use it rarely, but when you use it, it will produce amazing ( normally impossible) results, dear.

Great to hear, thanks @TravellerG!

I'm already onto your next post! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!