TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photo Tips - How to shoot StarBurst (Sun-Star)? - TravellerG

Hi dear all...

..What are Starbursts?..

Have you seen the rising star effect in some photographs? – This Starburst, (Sun-star), is a very beautiful element in Photograph. These ‘Starfish’ glow is usually seen in landscape photography! This can be captured in day or night photography.

Here is a Album of few more shots, with Multiple Starbursts - Album Starbursts

How to Shoot Starbursts?

This effect occurs, when you shoot a small, bright spot (point) of light (Day or Night), which is partly blocked. For more powerful starbursts, use small aperture, like f/16.

What contributes to this effect?

As you know, the aperture in a camera is made of ‘Blades’. The number of aperture blades, the shape of aperture blades and the type (shape) of the Lens, jointly contribute to this effect. Hence, the starburst effect varies from lens to lens (I am not getting into more technical details, here).

Note:

Sometimes, when shooting (the sun, etc.), you may get flare in the photograph; this too depends on the Aperture, Lens type (shape), etc. Don't bother.

How to set the Camera for shooting Starburst? (Simple Setting):

Select Camera Shooting Mode as “A” (Aperture Priority mode = in this mode, you can select Aperture Value & camera will automatically adjust Shutter speed and ISO). Turn the Aperture control to select aperture value as ‘16’. Usually the Aperture control will be on the Lens or can be a “Thumb-wheel” on some of the cameras. [Still, if you have doubt, kindly post me your doubt with make & model of the camera, along with the Lens details].

If you try to shoot “Sun burst” (of Sun), then the best time will be 9 AM to 11 AM or 3 PM to 5 PM (I prefer). Select a place, where you get direct Sun beam, partially covered by trees or Stones, etc. With the above camera setting, move the camera slightly to get the maximum effect and then, shoot.

NOTE:

Ensure that:

Shutter speed is above 1/60 and ISO is not more than 800 for good result; this can be easily achieved by slightly adjusting the shooting time (from 8 AM to 6 PM). (I used a mono-pod) .

Will you be able to try this, when time permits? Eagerly waiting for your posts, thanks dear @KatyaL @davidhyno @JohnPeter @SalmaanN @Nerea15 @jikkujoseph90 @Rizky_Dwi_S @FEBRYARILIA @SoleLuna @idanzamir.

PS:

My previous post on Multiple Image Filter is  Here

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

35 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Phoo tips - How to shoot StarBurst (Sun-Star)? - TravellerG

Hi @TravellerG,

These tips are very handy! Thanks for putting together this information and sharing it for everyone.

I hope I'll have the time to check the StarBurst option when I'm travelling next week. Your photo is a very good example and I'll take the advise to use small aperture -  f/16.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Thanks for sharing @TravellerG, good information.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 10

wish you all the best dear @KatyaL - be sure click many shots, some will be good, for sure.

All the best

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Happy to feel that the post was useful to you, dear @TheEagleEye. Kindly try, when time permits, please

Level 10

Hi dear @Amiran, your comments are valuable for me - when time permits, kindly try for some shots too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Dear @TravellerG

You always comes with useful tips and helpful photography technical assistance thank you for sharing for better photography

Level 10

Hi all ...

Something is wrong... @PaulPavlinovich, kindly help... I am surprised

EDIT:

1. Unfortunately, there was some (external) unwanted intrusion of (shocking) message, which was corrected by Google, within a short time.

2. I register my heartfelt thanks to @ErmesT and @StephenAbraham, who sprang into action, all of a sudden & made me comfortable.

Now, all are fine!

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, @TravellerG. You definitely prove yourself to be persistently keen on photography. Several years ago I was obsessed with trying new photography tricks I hadn't tried yet. That starburst element was a favorite one ever since. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hi @TravellerG

Thanks for this lovely tips..

I have learned something..

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve