SeaGypsySuz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

People helping people

Hello everyone!  

My name is Suzanne. I live on a sailboat in Mexico.  I'm a level 7 guide.

I used Google Maps a lot when I was a commercial real estate agent in the Bay Area.  I started populating Google Maps then, with pictures of various buildings, etc.

A couple of years ago, I decided to "retire early" and live a little.  I wanted to travel by sailboat, see the world and experience other cultures, before it was too late.  I did just that.  I  have been in Mexico for about two years now.  When I started traveling, I found myself gravitating to Google Maps for both directions and local recommendations.  What I realized was that Google was not nearly as populated in Mexico as it was in the US.  So, I started populating it myself.

When I realized that my photos were getting a lot of hits, I realized that I could potentially help out both other Google users as well as local business people by adding business, photos and reviews of the various and sometimes obscure places I was visiting.  

The results were astounding.  Many of the local business people who I reviewed or added to the map, started thanking me and telling me how much change I had affected in their business and in their family's life.  In gratitude, Iguana Garden, a restaurant in La Cruz Huanacaxtle, Mexico gave me a little bowl with their name on it.  This touched me more than any present I have received.

There is a big class difference in Mexico.  There are so many working poor.  Their economy is not robust and there is very little opportunity.   Even grade school costs money and requires transportation, so many poor children do not get the same educational offerings as the rich.   The minimum wage is now $4.70 a DAY.  If one is lucky enough to get a job here, one counts on the tips to add up to a living wage.  Others who cannot find a job often open a small business and try to eek out a living for their family that way.  The majority of the people are good, hardworking, ethical souls who lack opportunity.

So, I help however I can.  I always tip well and I always promote, review and share, online,Coqui y Juan - Fonda Coqui - La Cruz Huanacaxtle, MxCoqui y Juan - Fonda Coqui - La Cruz Huanacaxtle, MxAgave Azule (AirBNB) - La Cruz HuanacaxtleAgave Azule (AirBNB) - La Cruz HuanacaxtleTres Aries @ Iguana Garden - La Cruz HuanacaxtleTres Aries @ Iguana Garden - La Cruz Huanacaxtle businesses that do a good job and offer exceptional service.  I guess I am paying it forward, in a way.  I enjoy helping people to realize their own personal success!  Google Maps is a great vehicle for this.

Here's a photo of Juan and Coqui of Fonda Conqui...$20 peso tacos to die for, seven days a week.  Tell them that Suzanne and George sent you.

What is your favorite way to help people be successful?

Coqui y Juan - Fonda Coqui - La Cruz Huanacaxtle, MxCoqui y Juan - Fonda Coqui - La Cruz Huanacaxtle, MxSail MexicoSail Mexico

La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico
9 comments
Level 8

Re: People helping people

Hi @SeaGypsySuz

Awesome story.

You do a great job.

Thank you ♥️

Meet you all at Connect Live 2020

Level 8

Thank you very much!  That was my first post to the Connect site.  While I use Maps a ton, I've not used this site much.  I'm looking forward to posting more.

Level 8

That's a solution!!

Att: Dylan Navarro
Chemical Engineer, University of La Sabana
Local Guide Chía, Chinácota, Cúcuta
Connect Moderator

Hi @SeaGypsySuz

A Warm Welcome in Connect, the Official Community of Google Local Guides.

Your story is beautiful, I really love it, so it is not easy for me that a local guide can only contribute with one account. Having two accounts is against the program rules, and the risks is to be banned. So please close your second account. Before you ask, I want to tell you that is not possible to merge contribution between accounts. Of course you can download the photos loaded in one, then upload it to the other.

Please note that I have unaccepted the "solution" given by you, because your post don't need a solution. please read: Tip: How to mark replies as solutions — “Accept as Solution” feature

As you posted in Photos and discoveries board, where your post doesn't fit, I am moving it to the general board.

With this I don't want to discourage you for contributing (I really like your post), but simply highlighting the rules of the community.

As this seems to be one of your first post in here, I take the opportunity to give you some information to know now to interact with the community:

• Need Help?: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon here again 🙂

Ermes

Level 8

Thank you, Ermest:

I appreciate your input.  I have disabled my other account.  It was actually set-up accidentally when I got my new pixel phone.  

Thank you for moving my post to the right spot.  I will study the site more to hopefully figure it out a bit better.  I will admit, I was in a bit of a hurry as I'm working on my Connect Live application. 

Regards,

Suzanne

Level 1

I work with people of concern in Kakuma Refugee camp, in Turkana County, Kenya. They need education and basic needs, talented they are when it comes to co-curriculum activities. They need attention, love and care to help them feel they are at their home.

Level 10

Hi @SeaGypsySuz

I appreciate your helping mind.

I am happy to read that you are choosing the right person who deserves a help.

Thank you for sharing your perspective

BHASI BAHULEYAN
Level 10

Great post and so amazing photos @SeaGypsySuz
Keep up to share the beautiful photos and informative posts.
Thank you for sharing

Best Regards
Rezgar

Level 8