cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Pamukkale ( Cotton Castle ) Travertines Denizli / TURKEY

Pamukkale ( Cotton Castle ) Travertines Denizli / TURKEY

To view on Google maps

The travertine is a slip formed by a multifaceted chemical reaction and subsequent precipitation of various causes and environments.  The geological events that led to the thermal source of Pamukkale affected a large area.  In this region, there are 17 hot water areas with temperatures ranging from 35-100 degrees Celsius.  Pamukkale source has been used since antiquity.

The thermal water comes from the source with a channel of 320 m length per travertine, and from there it is poured into the travertine floors where 60-70 m of partial sedimentation takes place, and it travels 240-300 m on average.

During contact with oxygen in the air, the water containing high amounts of Calcium Hydrocarbonate in the 35.6 C warming temperature causes carbon dioxide and Carbon monoxide to fly causing calcium carbonate to precipitate and form travertine.  The precipitate is in the gel state in the first step.  Calcium carbonate which is precipitating in the layer pods and creases is initially a soft gel.

Pamukkale-Travertenleri-01

(Source: Denizli Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism)(Source: Denizli Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism)

It becomes hard and transforms into travertine over time.  However, the movement of the walk through the floors causes the soft calcium carbonate to crumble and disperse.  Travertines are provided within a particular program with thermal water control.  Water that has been pumped for a long time causes algae and therefore unpleasant pollution in travertines.  In the formation of whiteness; weather conditions, heat loss, flow propagation, and duration are influential.  Precipitation continues until the carbon dioxide in the thermal water reaches the equilibrium of the atmospheric carbon dioxide.

(Source: Denizli Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism)

(Source: Denizli Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism)(Source: Denizli Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism)

4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Pamukkale ( Cotton Castle ) Travertines Denizli / TURKEY

Hi @AhmetBuyukkaraca

I love Pamukkale (if possible I will share some photo taken by me in the past) like I really love Efes (your post here), BTW i do not understand your post.

I mean, I see that you want to share your country with us, but this is not the way that a local guide use.

We are Local Guide:

• Local, because we have a personal knoledge of the place
  • Guides, because we share our personal knoledge for helping others. For doing this, "We post our own words, photos, and videos that we’ve created just for Connect. If we do share something that someone else created, we’re sure to give proper credit", as clearly indicated in The 5 core values of Connect

So please, give proper credit not only to the source of the photos, but also to the author of the text, or the website from where tour text is taken.

Here in Connect author right is taken seriously in consideration, so please avoid in the future the plagiarism

Thank you for your attention

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @AhmetBuyukkaraca

I love Pamukkale (if possible I will share some photo taken by me in the past) like I really love Efes (your post here), BTW i do not understand your post.

I mean, I see that you want to share your country with us, but this is not the way that a local guide use.

We are Local Guide:

• Local, because we have a personal knoledge of the place
  • Guides, because we share our personal knoledge for helping others. For doing this, "We post our own words, photos, and videos that we’ve created just for Connect. If we do share something that someone else created, we’re sure to give proper credit", as clearly indicated in The 5 core values of Connect

So please, give proper credit not only to the source of the photos, but also to the author of the text, or the website from where tour text is taken.

Here in Connect author right is taken seriously in consideration, so please avoid in the future the plagiarism

Thank you for your attention

Level 8

Thank you very much for your information.

Your sharing of Pamukkale will make me happy.

Best regards...

Level 9

Wonderful @AhmetBuyukkaraca thank you for sharing with us.

Connect Moderator