Ant_Bad_Yogi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Pagoda made of Giant Oyster Shells - Wat Chedi Hoi, Thailand

Walls of Giant Oyster Shells, Giant Oyster Shell Pagoda Temple, Pathum Thani, ThailandWalls of Giant Oyster Shells, Giant Oyster Shell Pagoda Temple, Pathum Thani, ThailandWelcome back Local Guide friends to my post in #monthlytopic series. You might want to check out my previous post, A good place for a rainy day : The Kottage Cafe, Thailand, which is the topic of June.  Many thanks to @HiroyukiTakisawa for this creative initiation of each month's topic.

The topic of July is A Mysterious Object. It took me a while to think about any mysterious things in my area, but finally I came up with one place. Now I would like to introduce you to a temple with pagodas that made of giant oyster shells.

Entrance of Giant Oyster Shell Pagoda Temple, Pathum Thani, ThailandEntrance of Giant Oyster Shell Pagoda Temple, Pathum Thani, ThailandWat Chedi Hoi (Thai name) is one of the famous temples in Pathum Thani, Thailand. This temple is so famous for its pagodas that made of giant oyster shells. There are a lot of pagodas, walls, small hills made of giant oyster shells in the temple.

Giant oyster shells, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandGiant oyster shells, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandThe history

In 1995, there is a monk who would like to build a temple in the area. While a pond is built, tons of giant oyster shells were found under the ground. So those giant oyster shells were brought to build pagodas in the temple, hence its name.

A small hill of giant oyster shells, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandA small hill of giant oyster shells, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandToday, there are many visitors come to this temple. Besides the pagodas, visitors can also enjoy the scenery around the temple. Rice fields and trees make it so beautiful and peaceful as well.

Visitor is looking at the rice field, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandVisitor is looking at the rice field, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandOne of popular activities at this temple is fish feeding. We can get some bread or fish food from here and enjoy feeding the fish. There is also another pond for turtles and of course you can feed them as well.

A walking path for fish feeding, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandA walking path for fish feeding, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandThere are some small pavilions around the pond. These pavilions are a nice spot for visitors to feed the fish or even take a rest. You can also have a small picnic and enjoy the view at these pavilions.

View of a pond and a small pavilion, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandView of a pond and a small pavilion, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, Thailand

Another corner of the temple is Antique Museum. Most of antique items here are things people used in daily life. This is a nice section to recall of things you used to own 30 years+ ago! 

Old jars in Antique Museum, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandOld jars in Antique Museum, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandNow, it is still a mystery why there is a lot of giant oyster shells, under the ground at this temple. I have been there with colleagues, friends, family. They also ask the same question. The best response I can provide is "no one knows".

Pagoda made of giant oyster shells, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandPagoda made of giant oyster shells, Wat Chedi Hoi, Pathum Thani, ThailandAnd that's it my friends, the story of a mysterious object, the topic of July. Thank you so much for your attention to this post. I hope you enjoy it.

Have you ever seen any mysterious or strange things around? Please share your comment in the section below, I would love to read it.

Wat Chedi Hoi, Bo Ngoen, Lat Lum Kaeo District, Pathum Thani, Thailand
39 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Pagoda made of Giant Oyster Shells - Wat Chedi Hoi, Thailand

Hello and thank you, @Ant_Bad_Yogi 
What's a wonderful story! And that is absolutely mysterious. 
And I love your answer too:-) It's perfect!

Your posts are always not only interesting but include beautiful photos. They are very impressive!
Thank you as always.
Level 8

@HiroyukiTakisawa Thank you so much for your compliments. They really enlighten me. I'm so glad you like the post and my answer. 🙂 I guess you are preparing a post on this topic as well. I'm looking forward to reading your post.

Level 8

Pagoda made of giant oyster shells really looking Mysterious through your story & beautiful photos @Ant_Bad_Yogi 

View of a pond and a small pavilionPagoda made of giant oyster shells photos are stunning.

Vijay Paradkar
India
Level 8

@vijayparadkar 

Thanks a lot for your compliments. They mean a lot to me and they really keep me going. I'm glad you like the post and the photos. 🙂

Connect Moderator

@Ant_Bad_Yogi - very interesting post you wrote. I am amazed how many millions of oyster shells were found here to create this temple and stupa. What I am curious about is how and why there were so many oyster shells found there in the first place?

I read on your Google Maps link of Wat Chedi Hoi is also a fish market? Were all these shells found as part of “trash” from the market? That is A LOT of oyster shells that were opened. Wonder how long it took to have a collection that big? 

On a environmental/ reuse issue, this is amazing there were that many oyster shells to create this temple. I can see how this is an interesting place to visit for both locals and tourists. Does this temple get many foreign visitors? I see it is near Bangkok.

Tagging @ErmesT @FaridTDF @br14n to read your wonderful post and what can be made with oyster shells since they don’t break down easily.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 9

Hi @Ant_Bad_Yogi ,

Hello. I was waiting for your post! It was a very interesting and mysterious article. It's a little far from the sea, so I wonder why oyster shells are there.

Level 10

@KarenVChin  Thank you for tagging me. That's right, this is an amazing masterpiece of perfectly reused material. This should be an inspiration for young people to be more creative and detailed. Nothing is impossible, and the founder of the temple proved it. Thank you for making this beautiful post, @Ant_Bad_Yogi 

Level 8

@KarenVChin Thank you so much for your comment and your compliments. I'm so glad you like the post. 🙂

There are tons of giant oyster shells at this temple. We only know that when a pond was dug, they found countless of those giant oyster shells. So they thought that they could build pagodas out of those shells.

About fish market, actually I haven't heard of it (my house is 14 kms away), but maybe I missed something. Same as you, I'm still wonder why there are lots of giant oyster shells like that.

Yes, Pathum Thani is near Bangkok, it is 1 hour and a half drive. Mostly visitors to this temple are Thai, both locals and non-locals. I see some foreign visitors sometimes but not many of them. Hope we can introduce this temple to them via Google Maps.

Thank you again for your attention to this post. Your comment means a lot to me.

Level 8

@YutaE Sorry that I kept you waiting for the post. I was a bit busy during last week. I just had a chance to go there to take photos last Friday, that's why. Your thought is the same as mine, this area is not next to the sea, why there are countless giant oyster shells like that. To these days, I still wonder why. Thank you for your thought and your comment. They really enlighten me. 🙂