Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #2

But have you seen @Jaufer's contributions and his footprint upon his whole country of Sri Lanka? He's pretty much covered it all up in nice red tags, which I am highly impressed in as anticipate how Sydney will be in a matter of months. I don't know what those stars are. And Sri Lanka as a country is much bigger than the Sydney region?!

Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #2

Dear @Briggs, hope all's well.

Yes, @Jaufer has completely blanketed Sri Lanka with contributions. Kudos, Jaufer.

We're reading your 'not applied' database right now. It is seriously impressive. Ask for direct feedback about it if you want, he's the best source of mapping information outside of Maps Help we know. Anytime we want to find out anything about Maps we search for Flash's answer. Briggs, that spreadsheet is telling an amazing story. You are an incredible force, this lull is temporary. You're on the right track.

As for getting chased, let them catch you and introduce Fifty Million Views to them. 🙂 Do you ever ask for permission to photograph? It's a really nice way to introduce Maps, Local Guides and Google My Business to people. It's easy to make friends and ok if they say no. Our favourite story about photo permission is a security guard questioned our activity, we chatted about Maps, he was amazed to watch us suggest an edit. He loved finding out the possibility of contributing to Maps.

Kind regards from Osaka78

Level 10

[PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #2.5

Hello all, it's time for the third update for The Sydney Conquest. Well, not really, it's just going to be a written summary, no picture this time.

Calculation

I seem to be slightly confused between the number of days between two updates. Presuming that I started the conquest on July 17, 2017 between that day and the first update on September 1, 2017 was only 46 days. Then from there until the second update on , it was fifty days, but 96 days from the original date. Given that today, December 10, 2017 has been 146 days, I will slightly adjust the conquest start date to July 13, 2017 for coherence. So technically today, it has been 150 days since the beginning, and 50 days since the last update.

The Not Applied Syndrome

Because of this escapade, this has severely impacted the prowess of such a conquest. We are only hoping and keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be able to edit and explore freely once again. I have probably reduced the amount of steps I've taken over the last two months by about 40%, replacing it with South Park season and pigging out binges and ranting all over Local Guides Connect but I am hoping that can change.

The Explorers' Instinct

Regardless of these foul algorithms, the explorer within me still has ventured to new places over the past 50 days.

• Another triangle between Epping, Ryde and Meadowbank has been filled, with the density similar to the previous Parramatta, West Ryde and Strathfield triangle bar the inside.
  • The Goulburn Road Trip has added in a few outliers consisting pretty much of restaurants and rest stops towards the Southwest, all covered within the boundaries of the conquest (but the corner at Bowral and Moss Vale are to be visited).
  • North Sydney and Kirribilli has been very much filled in and conquered.
  • Towards the West, a visit to Lawson, Glenbrook and a stroll from Emu Plains eastward to Penrith fill the highways formidably.
  • Other small city visits include Hornsby, Villawood, Chatswood (which is huge and needs to be attended to eventually), Hurlstone Park and Waitara.

Concluding Remarks

Our next update will be January 29, 2018. I should be sure enough that the algorithms will be fixed by that time but this never should have happened in the first place. I will ensure a heat map is generated. I will be going overseas (Japan, Philippines, Singapore) for about half of this next period, but be rest assured should the algorithm be fixed, almost every single day will be a lovely and zany field trip unless it's either storming or the Australian extremes really digging into my skin.

Don't let those algorithms bring you down today,

brent.

Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #2.5

You are Legendary and very funny, @Briggs. That paragraph you wrote about 40% less steps is comedy gold. Do you even count your steps when mapping? Thanks for this update, Briggs. We're cheering you on. Go champion, go. Kind regards from Osaka78

Level 10

Hehe @Osaka78forTRUMP, I don't count my steps. My Fitbit Charge 2 does.

Le Steps.png

And although the diagram above only shows a percentage decrease of 33%, I guess I was a little pessimistic and rounded it up. Thanks for always reading up and keeping so interested in such. I guess I have Zumba to thank for keeping my steps up during particular days, but it is inevitable that it has greatly decreased since the algorithm change.

I will remain strong.

Level 10

Dear @Briggs, Amazing - step counting. Good thinking. Time's flexible: bigger anticipation = longer time seems. Nothing's forever. Google wants your contributions, so they'll have to fix not applied bug. Kind regards from Osaka78 🙂

Level 10

[PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #3

Hello supporters and eager mapping enthusiasts!

With great news, the algorithms and the map edits review process have been fixed. Since the last update of The Sydney Conquest was only during the last weekend, I'm more than happy to generate a heatmap. There will be a few amendments to the original vision of the map though, so this is what will be changing.

Region of Influence

At the beginning of this conquest, I outlined a massive area far beyond my reaches. Certain corners of the map were inaccessible by any sort of transport, and so I condensed the area a fair bit. The changes are as follows and are illustrated in this new diagram:

Caption: The new revised region map, along with the current heatmap so far. Dated 13th December 2017.Caption: The new revised region map, along with the current heatmap so far. Dated 13th December 2017.

• The Northwest corner will now be the localities of Portland, home of the Mt Piper Power Stations, and Cullen Bullen. Previously this point was Ben Bullen.
  • The Northeast corner will now be Tuggerah,  consisting of a Westfield and a substantial home hub. Previously this point was Lake Haven.
  • The Southwest corner will now be the Wombeyan Caves and Bowral. The map was extended west enough to include the Jenolan Caves. Previously this point was Big Hill and Moss Vale.
  • The Southeast corner will now be Port Kembla. Previously this point was Albion Park and Shellharbour.

The Heatmap

You can note that there has been a noticeable visual change in the heatmap, both in the representation of the pins (which are a bit more stubbier) and the increase of vibrance in the map. It's also a lot more easier to load as well, which is excellent. Have a see for yourself. I have already included the new pin sections of the map underneath The Explorers' Instinct heading in the previous post. Except that the Cronulla point was successfully moved back to Auburn.

Caption: Progress from 10/21 to 12/10. Look at all those pins bounce up and down!Caption: Progress from 10/21 to 12/10. Look at all those pins bounce up and down!

A Short Break

As I will be heading overseas for about three and a half weeks, half the period of the next update will already elapse. I don't have any exact plans as to where I will be exploring around Sydney, but when I come back the beaches seem to be a viable destination. I also do not like to melt in Sydney's searing heat, so it's actually fairly ironic that my most stagnant times is when it's summer, when everyone should be going out catching sun rays and melting to freedom. It's not like I have already taken a break due to the algorithms, but now that everything is fine and dandy, my journeys and mapping adventure will continue in the countries of Japan, the Philippines and Singapore (only one day). I'm sure my hometown and the beautiful island paradise of Coron, Palawan need some Google Maps love too!

Thank you for your patience and for sticking around. The next update will still be on January 29, 2018. Can you believe it's already the end of the year? Crazy times.

Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #3

Well done, @Briggs. Good update, great news about bug fix, everyone seems pleased about it. Nice to know your voice is heard. You're a champion, Briggs. Kind regards from Osaka78 🙂

Level 10

[PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #X

Dear all,

To those who are still interested in following The Sydney Conquest, I really must apologise for my lack of updates. The last update was roughly around 150-153 days since the beginning of The Sydney Conquest. The next forecast update will be 300 days since its inception on July 13 2017. That means we will see an update on May 9 2018.

Over the past weekend I've taken the liberty of using the 36-photowalk to head to a pretty far away area down south, but still kind of close to Sydney: La Perouse. It's not fully south like Cronulla or Bundeena, but a lot of space has been covered. I look forward to updating all of you.

Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #X

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures, @Briggs. La Perouse looks beautiful. We'll done and kindest regards from Osaka78 👍👍