cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest.

Hello Local Guides Connect,

Back when I introduced myself in May 2017, I stated the following:

"I love to share experiences and a first-hand view of an individual who explores every nook and cranny, leaving no stone left unturned."

That's my core mantra and one of the reasons why I stand here as a local guide today. Since discovering the effects and the wonder that is Google Maps and its community, I started attending various meetups, from Alex's photowalk to Timo's burger crawls. In my spare time I like to explore my surroundings, visit new places, take snaps along the way and make valuable edits.

A week ago, @HelloSamsonR asked me to show a screenshot of how much of Sydney I've been to, and so because I take photos everywhere I go, the following heatmap was produced:

I haven't been everywhere. And I think it'll be obvious as to where I live/work. That's a lot of Sydney. Dated 11th July 2017.I haven't been everywhere. And I think it'll be obvious as to where I live/work. That's a lot of Sydney. Dated 11th July 2017.

That's a lot of walking around and public transport. I don't drive by the way. And that's exactly what I do, on Saturdays and Sundays I veer to a new place or suburb I haven't mapped or been to before, explore all its hidden gems and leave no stone unturned. The best part is that in a week's time I'll be moving to a better central area of Sydney: Parramatta, which will provide all access to everywhere available by public transport. For some people, public transport would be the last thing they would ever catch. For others, it's a good time to escape, relax and meditate.

Anywho, below is the main concept of this project I like to call, The Sydney Conquestconq.png

What this ambitious project aims to do is to conquer Sydney by visiting every single suburb that is at least accessible to public transport, from all the way north to Wyong/Tuggerah, down south to Shellharbour, and spanning east from Manly all the way across to the Jenolan Caves/Lithgow to the West. There are going to be massive areas where I won't be able to visit as I don't drive yet, but this will prove to show that everywhere is possible as long as you've got time and heart.

As already seen above, those are all the places where I've taken pictures. I do a substantial amount of walking every single weekend (usually 30,000 steps each day). Here I'll be able to provide progress shots and comparisons on a regular basis, so this main post will be updated as I go.

I'm not exactly sure when I'll visit where, but with all the time in the world and a recent transition from full-time to part-time employment, I'll be able to go wherever my heart or Zumba leads me. At the moment I have the next two weeks off work to actually pursue what I want to do (studying fitness in Meadowbank) and also to establish my base of operations in the heart of Parramatta, five minutes walk from the main transport interchange. So I will be completely enabled to go on my adventures and visit all these new places.

Below will be a map that I will aim to complete for as long as it takes.

The range of places that I plan on visiting. But maybe... not the Northwest and Southwest. That blue dot is currently where I live I guess.The range of places that I plan on visiting. But maybe... not the Northwest and Southwest. That blue dot is currently where I live I guess.Wish me luck fam!

Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
32 comments
Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest.

Good starting and detailed guiding is very impressive. Its not only your experience or hard work. But also tips for every one. Your work is our tips. good continue my bro @Briggs

Level 10

Excellent @Briggs 😊😊😊😃. This is superb. 

Level 9

"no stone left unturned"

@Briggs 👍👌👍

Level 10

Thank you @Ravi_Kiran@HelloSamsonR and @OSAMA.

Once I finish Sydney, I will make sure to go on trips and eventually get to meet all the different Local Guides all around the world! You can count on me for that, yay! Thanks for your support and fellow inspiration!

Level 10

@Briggs Which city are you joining for the Worldwide Map Edit Walk in Australia?  Do you know @Osaka78forTRUMP is having one at Perth? 

Level 10

Actually @HelloSamsonR, Sydney didn't end up hosting a worldwide map edit walk. Perth is a little bit of a distance to travel to, but wish I could. Alternatively my aim is simply just to go on a very comprehensive walk for the entire day (probably this Saturday), make a note as to how many edits I started with at the beginning and then how much I end up finishing after.

Level 10

This shows you are participating as well :). I think we can include your name in the cities. And you are also attending as well, please provide your city details @Briggs

Level 10

Definitely join in, Briggs. You will be inspired to keep your Sydney Conquest going for a long time. Link us into your meet-up page when you get approved. 😃 PS Extra kudos for using public transport 👍

Kindest regards from Osaka78

Level 8

Wow you quite the traveler @Briggs, very impressive! I'm sure you'll complete your conquest in no time! Journey by foot is so much better than journey by car, you get to better explore and appreciate places 😁