Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #4

Hello everyone, and thanks so much for your patience. We're now 300 days into the conquest as we have two more months until the end of the first year. Mind you this will be a continuous project until I can say that I have been in every suburb in Sydney. Then I would probably head over to Perth, Brisbane or Melbourne ahah! Let's get started.

The Heatmap

The pins are dancing in this iteration of the conquest. The only logical explanation is that I had to use Safari to generate all the pins because Google Chrome kept on crashing due to a memory error. I could also look at where I have been in Japan, but this is about Sydney, not Earth.

Caption: We had about 150 days since we last had an update, from 12/10 to 05/09.Caption: We had about 150 days since we last had an update, from 12/10 to 05/09.

Notable Events

• The 36-Photo Walk with Justine allowed us to explore a whole chunk of Mascot, Eastgardens, Maroubra Junction and of course the all beautiful encompassing La Perouse. The sole point in Kurnell is where the Botany Bay National Park's centre is, and I have not touched that land.
  • More areas around the Kellyville and Castle Hill region are being conquered slowly. In fact, I'm heading over there this Friday to North Kellyville.
  • I don't remember going to Liverpool. However after arriving at Glenfield station, I managed to get a whole line from Campbelltown to Macarthur stations, traversing three shopping centres and somehow being paid in the process! The joys!
  • There are a few points that are of contention and that I don't exactly recall. Sometimes businesses might move and your pictures might also move along with them. Once I realise this, I ensure that it becomes current, and head over there myself!
  • A steady line has started moving west from the Sydney CBD. One of my goals is to have mapped and traversed the entire Parramatta Road from Parramatta to Ultimo in Sydney's CBD. The only parts I'll need to walk through are Leichhardt to Summer Hill, and then Ashfield to North Strathfield. Of course, not the whole thing in one fell swoop!

Concluding remarks

It's been a super tough 150 days. I've already written countlessly about it in my "I'm Back!" series of posts. I haven't written yet about my Asia trip haven't I? And I finally got around to catching up to all the written reviews all across Japan, the Philippines and Singapore, so now I just need to get up to date with this one. I recall every experience like it was only yesterday, and should I not than it would just be semi-vaguely. Still on the prowl to finding work, but I think very soon that might change! I will be positive, and this might actually be a ticket to the rest of NSW.

The next update will be on the one year anniversary of the Sydney Conquest, which will be July 13, 2018.

Until next time, peace!

Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest - Update #4

Awesome, @Briggs. You're covering so much ground, lovely to hear about your progress. Looking forward to seeing your 36. Congratulations and kindest regards from Osaka78 👍👍

Level 10

Re: [PROJECT] The Sydney Conquest.

Hey Local Guides,

I haven't made any updates to this heat map for a long time, and although I'm not contributing as heavy as I used to, I'm still covering holes in the heat map every now and then. However, because the Maps script and API have slightly changed, including the removal of Google Maps lite mode, a heat map is no longer feasible even for high-performing computers, as browsers overclock too much RAM and crash even at the 2,000 pictures mark (FYI I have about 11,000 photos in total uploaded).

Thank you for keeping updated.