cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

POOKKALAM – THE COLORFUL FLOWER BEDS – Farm Fest, Pondi, India - TravellerG

..POOKKALAM ..

..The COLORFUL FLOWER BED .. Farm Fest, Pondi, India

These Photos (except the first one) are from the Farm Fest, Pondicherry, India. This was a unique concept: Here is the ALBUM

1. Each of the Pookkalam had a theme (Like Save Girl child, awareness of Cancer, grow trees, retain for...
  2. A long stretch of different combinations, which were maintained for several days.
  3. There was a healthy competition and volunteers were asked to vote for the best one.

There were dozens of these and I (along with my wife), could capture only a few, due to heavy rush and time limitation.

The first photo: The design & execution was done by daughter.

What is Pookkalam?

Simply, ‘Pookkalam’ is Flower-Bed – it is simple to elaborate, intricate and colourful arrangement of flowers; Although, traditional Pookalams used only fresh flowers, which were replaced every day, now a days, people are using leaves and many other items.

No: 2

No: 3.

No: 4.

No: 5.

N0: 6.

In Kerala:

The famous Onam celebratons, ususally lasts for ten days; all these ten days, especially adolescent girls, prepare Pookalams, everyday morning, to welcome the King Mahabali.

Pookkalam Menaning: (Poov + Kalam = Pookkalam)

Poov = Flower & Kalam = Sketch [not exctly]; comparable with ‘Rangoli’ of North India and ‘Kolam’of Tamil Nadu – the main difference being, in Pookkalam, Flower is used.

Dear friends, what are your opinion:

@DeniGu, @Prodeep, @Gelin0512@helga19, @YasumiKikuchi, @shigeo, @geliersanta, @Anonymous, @tonal_mathew @Allenrey, Thanks in advance

PS:

My previous post on a RARE TREE in Bahrain = Here

Botanical Garden, Maraimalai Adigal Salai, Near Anna Statue, Ambedkar Nagar, Orleanpet, Pondicherry, Puducherry, India
27 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: POOKKALAM – THE COLORFUL FLOWER BEDS – Farm Fest, Pondi, India - TravellerG

Hello @TravellerG,

Thank you for sharing these amazing colorful photos with us and the meaningful details. I've seen such things before in Indian films and they were made out of flowers or pigments. 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

It is an excellent traditional art @TravellerG

I may have touched the idea of drawing a picture with a petal for the first time. It also features a distinctive color based on oranges🏵

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Google Moderator

Thank you for sharing @TravellerG.

These flower beds remind me of the flower carpet which is made on the Grand Place in Brussels. It is a showstopper every two years.

I visited the city in 2017 but I was not able to see it because it was not an even year.

Caption: A photo of the flower carpet on the Grand Place in Brussels, Belgium (Local Guide Sébastien Barbieri)Caption: A photo of the flower carpet on the Grand Place in Brussels, Belgium (Local Guide Sébastien Barbieri)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

So beautiful views @TravellerG

I bet the smells of flower leaves must be so nice.

Thank you.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @TravellerG,

This is one of my favourites posts for the week. Thanks a lot for sharing all these amazing photos of Pookkalam. I'm amazed by the decorations and the images that the artists made with the flowers. The messages that they send to people are also very nice. Even though you were in a rush, I think you've managed to show the beauty of this farm fest!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hi @TravellerG,

Thank you for the tag!

Wow, those flower arrangements are just beautiful!

Is it true that the first one was made by your daughter? She sure has some talent with combining colours and shapes. 🙂

I checked the photo album you've linked here, and I find it really impressive how delicate, yet precise the lines are in each arrangement. I especially liked the one with the lady in a red dress.

Which flower bed did you vote for?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Great dear @BorrisS - your artistic mind captures such small details in a movie... Congrats!

Thank you for your reply.

In fact, I wanted to publish few posts on "Ancient Temples of India"; hope you will allow me to tag you in that post.

sincerely.

Level 10

When free you can go through the Google to see the varieties of colorful creations of these types, in different parts of India; however, the "Only Flower" concept is from Kerala, India.

Thank you dear @YasumiKikuchi  for your reply.

Level 10

Wow... Really amazing - I did not know about such a en event in Brussels - Thanks for sharing. Is there any album of this event, which is shareable?

With regards