MoazzamK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

PLASTIC “THE SILENT KILLER”

On the day when we know the environmental changes for years and years now and studies go public about environmental and climate changes. We know that we are littering our surrounding our cities and the oceans, and we know that we are destroying wild life, marine life and most importantly the lives of our next generations. Seriously I consider it as a disaster of humanity that we are offering a BS degree in environmental studies from 1950s, but we haven’t made people agree on environmental changes and even more disasters thing is that last 50 to 60 years are THE WORST in terms of environmental pollution. On the domestic and personal level most of our trash is plastics, food wastes and other packaging materials such as paper towels, paper packaging and aluminium foils and cans but the plastic trash is the worst kind of trash and its increasing drematicaly because of increasing food packaging, plastic bags, disposable cups, glasses and plastic straws, on a serious note its possible to reduce the amount of trash and not impossible as we usually think trust me I’m doing it.

We know that what is environmental pollution, what are the causes of it and what are the measures we could take, but we are not taking it seriously. Because if you look back on history you will find that first ban related to environmental measures that is recorded in history books was 1272 after smoke became problem in London, first study related to global warming and environmental pollution was published in the 1800s and first BS level degree in environmental studies was offered in the 1950s and it doesn’t end here many more things shows that we know these problems from decades but still the problem is getting worse day by day, month by month and year by year, I think because people don’t believe in environmental pollution and global warming, and the other thing is that we don’t feel that this is our responsibility to take every step after thinking that what will be the effect of it on the environment.

On daily basis we make a lot of trash but most of the trash especially on the domestic and personal level, single use plastic and food waste are the main categories and between those two plastic are the biggest problem because food waste is easily compostable and perishable item and also if food waste left untreated at will decompose in a very short amount of time but the plastics, they couldn’t be decomposed in near future. Studies have shown that plastic could take 450 years to decompose by itself so, think in this way that the plastic you are using today will last as trash and pollution for your fourth generation. And on the other side if you think that, “I will recycle these plastics” then listen recent study shows that only 9% of the plastic trash from around the world has recycled in last 65 years and the rest of the plastic either burned or thrown in to the oceans. The main reason behind all of that is our usage of single use plastic such as straws, polythene bags, disposable cups and all sort of packaging.

Now the point is, can we reduce the plastic trash? So, the answer is yes we can and the only you have to do is to avoid using packaged food, straws, cups and plastic bags.

Here’s what I do to reduce my trash, I take a canvas with me where ever I go in my school bag or in my car’s door bin so in that way I don’t have to use plastic shopping bags, I take a lunch box with me in my bag so if I want to eat something I don’t have to use any disposable packaging, I take a traveling mug one in the bag and one in the car, so I don’t have to use any disposable cup or glass.  

I admit that its not very stylish or classy and some time people could make fun of you so, do it and face the harsh comments for the sake of environment and most importantly you can make it very stylish because if you can make people think that you are the one who want to do a good thing not for your self but for all the community people will respect “I’m saying it considering our Pakistani public people first ask question that why are you doing it? But when they realized that what are you trying to do people pay respect to you, your decision, appreciate your efforts and most importantly some of them are trying to do the same as well.

And at the end, I want to start the campaign at least on the level of “Local Guides” worldwide so, I want your support from each and every part of the world.

…….BAS ITNA HI THA…….

6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: PLASTIC “THE SILENT KILLER”

Hi @MoazzamK, welcome back in Local Guides Connect

It makes me very happy, and very sad at the same time, to read you post.

Very happy because I like your determination "I want to start the campaign at least on the level of “Local Guides” worldwide so"

Very happy because I love, like you, to fight for a better world.

The campaign is already running @MoazzamK, and it would be great if you wants to join us: Local Guides Clean The World - A Local Guides project started officially on March 26, 2018, and is running worldwide. The content is actually under translation in 18 different languages, included Urdu. Indi is under translation by @KashifMisidia, tha is also leading the activities in Karachi.

Kashif is starting a meet-up for a cleaning action in a few days, it will be nice if you can join him.

Very sad, because I have to ask you to edit your post, to remove your photos, and eventually replace them with photos taken by you. Copyright is taken in very high consideration in the community, and the post that are using contents that not belong to the author of the post will be removed. Please read: How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?

Hope you will be fixing it asap. This campaign is very important so I want your post to stay here.

Welcome again

Level 9

Hi @ErmesT, Thank you for your kind suggestions and support I'm joining the movement right now.

I think you remember me from the last time I had joined your conversation so if you do then thank you.

Level 1

Very well done at least some think about it.

Connect Moderator

Level 6

PREACH! honestly very refreshing to know that someone cares and thinks in a way for others and yourself knowing that the impact that we leave behind will effect our planet and our future generations to come!

I live in Florida about 20 mins from the beach and i normally bring 1 bag with me so while i walk on the shore , sadly to say i pick up the trash that people left behind on vacation. I ended up finding a plastic bag on my walk, ended up filling up that bag and the bag i originally brought with me to the rim. It was very disappointing that me as one person picked up two bags worth of trash on the shores water line. Where every year the turtles lay the eggs and everything. As you said its going to effect our generation to come, its happening as we speak. Happy to know that my worries are not just my own, were making a difference one step at a time. one person at a time. Maybe Connect live should discuss coming up with a topic about plastic uses and spread the word more or something of that matter. keep up the great thoughts and positive vibe! your not alone on the journey. #plasticslientkillers 

~ Mia
Connect Moderator

I'm happy to know another local guide who care about our planet @MiaLuna123 

On March 6th we have an easy, worldwide event. If you want to join us, just read: Save the date: March 6 is: M'illumino di meno and reply in there.