TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Ottamthullal Performing art, Kerala - TravellerG

Dear friends,

..Ottamthullal - A performing art of Kerala, similar to Kathakali ..

Ottan Thullal (or Ottamthullal) is a solo-dance art form with poetic performance by the dancer and is from Kerala, India. The costumes, hand gesture, facial make-up & expressions, etc. have similarities with Kathakali {but, much simplified form} – hence also referred as ‘Common-Man’s Kathakali’. This art form was initiated by Kunchan Nambiar(one of the three famous Malayalam language poets). The dancer is accompanied by one or more percussion instruments and a vocal singer.

In Ottamthullal, the dancer ‘sings’ a story in Malayalam (Against the non-singing, Kathakali artists), usually in a mocking style (Kathakali is a very serious style) & each song-line is repeated, by the vocal artist.

You may notice the facial expression of the artist, in the photos.

Dear friends, here is a small album of this session: Here

Dear @DeniGu, from this post, I confirm that the Kathakali shots are also from my collection; both were shot in the same series (in Kerala).

Could you give your feed backs, dear @BishowvijayaP  @OSAMA @FahmiAdimara @sprabha0504 @parun030  @Joeltravel  @ORDNAS1979  @NirmalTeja @0978183524.

Thanks in advance.

PS:

My previous post regarding Bonsai Garden

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Trichur, Kerala, India
9 comments
Level 3

Re: Ottamthullal Performing art, Kerala - TravellerG

I like this greetings... 😎

Google Moderator

Hello @TravellerG,

As always amazing post with absolutely awesome photos! Thank you so much for sharing! I am fascinating by artists colorful costumes and make-up.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hello @TravellerG,

Thank you for sharing these great photos with us, it is always a pleasure reading your posts.

I would like to see one day a live Kathakali performance.  

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you dear @Ivi_Ge,

Hope you had a look at the Album (15 photos), too . Regards 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Google Moderator

Yes, dear @TravellerG, all of the photos are great and your previous post too! 

Do you know about the classical Japanese dance-drama - Kabuki? This is a traditional Japanese form of theater and the artists also wore thick makeup designed to express the characters they represented.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Fascinating photos and story, @TravellerG!

You've captured some really expressive moments that give a clear idea of how difficult this art is. 

Thanks for sharing such interesting aspects of your culture. 🙂

Level 9

Hi bro, your shot are awesome. If you using the DSLRs camera better you using the fix lens. Or maybe you using mobile camera you can try to more focusing your shot oh the object. Nice shot and keep the best work 🙂

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this interesting post with beautiful pictures @TravellerG

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

I love the customs anywhere around the globe. Customs are the identities of the place. Thank you so much for notifying me about this post @TravellerG