bassey's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

One Year on Connect

My name is Bassey Edoho, a Level 8 Local Guide. This month makes it one year for me on Connect!

IMG_0214.jpg

I honestly can’t remember when I became a Local guide but I remember how. One day, sometime in 2005 or so, I saw a place I went to on google map and someone’s review. I was fascinated and wished I could put my own review too. I think I did that but I can’t recall. 

I realised it was easy to edit and add stuff on the map and boom; I got hooked. I only heard about connect about this time last year and THIS is where I introduced myself. 

I use google maps everyday myself especially for checking traffic and locating places so I know how it feels when I can’t get a place I’m looking for on google maps. So I now decided to do what I can to improve maps for myself and others in Nigeria especially. And Google has a way of making you know how much impact you are making with your contributions and how people are being helped by them. This encourages me because it is the reason I am a guide….to help millions so easily. 

As a photographer, (yes, my aspiration became true) it was easy for me to love to contribute by adding photos of places, food, etc. 

It can be challenging in Nigeria because there is a trust matter here; once you point your camera at a place, there is suspicion as to what your intensions are but we find ways to do this creatively 🙂 

The Civic Centre, Lagos, Nigeria #OnGoogleMapsThe Civic Centre, Lagos, Nigeria #OnGoogleMaps

I also love checking facts and I realised that there were a lot of instances of people being fraudulent by adding their numbers in other to scam unsuspecting users of the map. I posted  HERE how I am handling the situation. 

On posting reviews, I make sure I say everything anyone would love to know about a place. This makes reviews to be of high quality and useful to other users. 

There are a lot of Local guides from Nigeria and yet, there is still a lot to be done. so, I decided to introduce new local guides and/or activate non-active local guides through ‘bespoke’ meet ups. THIS was the first one and each meet up starts with the LG presentation which all the time, fires participants up to the activity of the day which is to contribute to Google Maps. Each meet up comes with

free internet connectivity,

writing materials,

snacks and drinks and

a Gift for the highest points during the activity.

Meetup Start-packMeetup Start-packActivityActivity

IMG_20180127_121455.jpg

I have done 3 of this sort of meet up and the success story is an LG who was on 90 points during the meet up and as at today, he is a Level 8 LG. Very inspiring for me. The Local Guide Program hands me a platform to help more people and businesses than I can ever had accomplished on my own. This is why I am a dedicated Local guide!

Love for Food and Landscape photography
Lagos, Nigeria
21 comments
Level 10

Re: One Year on Connect

Hey @U-royFelixA, here is the post 🙂 

Connect Moderator

Hey, one year is already passed? Congratulations

Happy Connect Birthday @bassey, a good step, we more time in front of us. You are also in a wonderful Community.

How is working whith the legendary @U-royFelixA, or the smiling @SanyaOdare?

My best wishes for more years with us

Ermes

Level 10

Congratulations @bassey on your 1yr anniversary of being on Connect.

🍹🎉🍹 ....to many more years of impacting lives.

@bassey wrote:

My name is Bassey Edoho, a Level 8 Local Guide. This month makes it one year for me on Connect!

IMG_0214.jpg

I honestly can’t remember when I became a Local guide but I remember how. One day, sometime in 2005 or so, I saw a place I went to on google map and someone’s review. I was fascinated and wished I could put my own review too. I think I did that but I can’t recall. 

I realised it was easy to edit and add stuff on the map and boom; I got hooked. I only heard about connect about this time last year and THIS is where I introduced myself. 

I use google maps everyday myself especially for checking traffic and locating places so I know how it feels when I can’t get a place I’m looking for on google maps. So I now decided to do what I can to improve maps for myself and others in Nigeria especially. And Google has a way of making you know how much impact you are making with your contributions and how people are being helped by them. This encourages me because it is the reason I am a guide….to help millions so easily. 

As a photographer, (yes, my aspiration became true) it was easy for me to love to contribute by adding photos of places, food, etc. 

It can be challenging in Nigeria because there is a trust matter here; once you point your camera at a place, there is suspicion as to what your intensions are but we find ways to do this creatively 🙂 

The Civic Centre, Lagos, Nigeria #OnGoogleMapsThe Civic Centre, Lagos, Nigeria #OnGoogleMaps

I also love checking facts and I realised that there were a lot of instances of people being fraudulent by adding their numbers in other to scam unsuspecting users of the map. I posted  HERE how I am handling the situation. 

On posting reviews, I make sure I say everything anyone would love to know about a place. This makes reviews to be of high quality and useful to other users. 

There are a lot of Local guides from Nigeria and yet, there is still a lot to be done. so, I decided to introduce new local guides and/or activate non-active local guides through ‘bespoke’ meet ups. THIS was the first one and each meet up starts with the LG presentation which all the time, fires participants up to the activity of the day which is to contribute to Google Maps. Each meet up comes with

free internet connectivity,

writing materials,

snacks and drinks and

a Gift for the highest points during the activity.

Meetup Start-packMeetup Start-packActivityActivity

IMG_20180127_121455.jpg

I have done 3 of this sort of meet up and the success story is an LG who was on 90 points during the meet up and as at today, he is a Level 8 LG. Very inspiring for me. The Local Guide Program hands me a platform to help more people and businesses than I can ever had accomplished on my own. This is why I am a dedicated Local guide!

Level 10

Thank you @ErmesT for the mention! Sure, knowing, relating and pushing the frontiers of Local Guides Communities in Nigeria with @bassey is pure joy. @bassey and I were together at 

2017 Lagos Boat Cruise Photo Walk, 2017 Lagos Amala Food Crawl, 2018 Lekki Conservation Centre as well as Speakers at the recently held Lagos Local Guides Forum.

2017 Lagos Boat Cruise Photo Walk2017 Lagos Boat Cruise Photo Walk

2018 Lekki Conservation Centre Geo-Walk2018 Lekki Conservation Centre Geo-Walk

2017 Lagos Amala Food Crawl2017 Lagos Amala Food CrawlLagos Local Guides Forum 2018Lagos Local Guides Forum 2018Lagos Local Guides Forum 2018Lagos Local Guides Forum 2018

Level 10

Thank you @ErmesT and it's been wonderful actually. Mentored constantly by @U-royFelixA

Level 10

Thank you bro @SanyaOdare Appreciated.

Level 10

Wow! Great remembering these great times especially the boat cruise and of course, Amala Food Crawl. @SanyaOdare

Connect Moderator

@bassey

@SanyaOdare

It looks like that Nigeria is rocking the whole LG community ! 

Concratulation for your contributions!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

@TorM Yes sir!!! We ruling it!!!  Hahahahaha!

We're hype like that!