Laurel's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

One Year Anniversary on Google Connect and End of my NYSC Program

IMG_20180510_174152.jpg 

My name is Asogwa Amuche (Laurel), a Level 6 Local Guide. This day, 2 September 2018 marks my one year anniversary on Google Connect and my NYSC Passing Out Parade (POP) which brings to an end to my one year compulsory National Youth Service!

Who is Asogwa Amuche (laurel)?

Laurel is a wife, a mother of five kids (4 girls and a boy) been married for 14 years. A graduate from the prestigious University of Nigeria Nsukka with a Bachelors’ degree in Library and Information Science/Economics with a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) 2016. Also a National Certificate on Education (NCE) holder from OSISATECH College of Education Enugu State, Nigeria in the year 2013. A Local Guide in level 6 with total points of 4,457, 346 photos added with 77,368 total views, 113 reviews, 57 ratings with 13 likes and 13,324 views, 31 questions asked and 13 answers. O girloo, see levels, No be small thing!.. There is this Igbo adage that says Ngwere siri n’ elu osisi daa kwee n’ isi wee si ‘oburu na mmadu etoghi ya, ya eto onwe ya’. Meaning - Agama lizard fall from a tree and nodded saying ‘if nobody praises me, I will praise myself’.

I can vividly remember when and how I became a Local guide. I only heard about contributing in Google map this time last year during my National Youth Service Corp Orientation camp in Awgu Enugu State Nigeria. One faithful day, a man by name Mr. Prince came to deliver a lecture to the Corps members in Awgu.  He introduced us to Google map where every user is allowed to contribute their content, describe their experience by providing reviews & insights with answers, sharing photographs, updating information with place edits, add missing places, or verify information by checking facts. He also made mention of members attending a summit in California from level 5 upwards, ‘if you’re fortunate enough you could be selected’ he said. That aspect really got my attention, there and then I started imaging myself sitting together with people from all works of life from different countries interacting. I was so fascinated and  wanted to register immediately in the  lecture hall and start putting my own contributions to Google map too but couldn’t due to the poor network connection in the camp.

I returned from the camp on the 15th August 2017 and registered some days late. I realized it was easy to edit and add information on the map and boom; I got hooked..

IMG_20180705_112404.jpg

I started making use of Google maps everyday myself especially for checking traffic and locating places. I came to realize what I have been missing all this while. I will never forget one horrible experience I had one day that I couldn't locate my destination. I once fail into the hands of hoodwink along main market Ogbette Enugu the day I was looking for MTN office in Enugu. Ignorance is a disease! Even the Bible says it ‘my people perish for lack of knowledge’ HOSEA 4:6 (KJV). I will educate my families and friends about the usefulness of Google map and also improve maps for myself and others in Nigeria. The fantastic thing about Google map app is that it has a way of making you know how much impact you are making with your contributions and how helpful it is to people.

Reasons Why I Love Being a Google Local Guide

The reasons why I love to remain busy at Google Map and I love Google Map....

1. I love to add pictures related to place so that it can be helpful to others...
  2. I think that I'm addicted to Google Maps.
  3. I love exploring new places and write first reviews if possible.
  4. I want others to read my review and to see my pictures.
  5. I am honest about my reviews, and I want all to know my experience.
  6. I want to help people to find places they are looking for.
  7. I want to cover whole city or all places which I am visiting and wish to share this knowledge with others.
  8. I jump on to the opportunity to give answers of questions asked by google map..

I can proudly say I am a google local guide helping millions of users.

I must appreciate Google for emphasizing so must on wheelchair accessibility. I posted Here where I talked about the challenges faced by people with disabilities in accessing public places especially some major buildings inside University of Nigeria Nsukka and I also outlined some recommendations.  Am so happy that @TraciC the Google administrator and @KarenVChin, connect moderator commented on the post. Thanks.

Now that I am done with National Services, I will put more effort in adding and editing places in Google map as I hope and pray that I find a job to support my family.

@Osaka78forTRUMP @U-royFelixA @Austinelewex@EmekaUlor please see this.

Ovoko (Umulolo Ward), Nigeria
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: One Year Anniversary on Google Connect and End of my NYSC Program

Hi @Laurel

Thank you for introducing yourself again to the community, and more for sharing your important post about accessibility. I missed it so I am enjoying your post now.

Local Guide that care about this important subject are always welcome in here. I am happy that you tagged @EmekaUlor in your post, he deserves it, for the great activity that he is doing related to accessibility too.

Now that you have more time, it will be great to read more, I think you have a lot to share with us.

See you soon

Ermes

Level 10

@Laurel Congratulations dear. 

Level 9

Am so happy for the things you're achieving @Laurel I hope you continue to guide individuals on Google map. Thanks for sharing.

Level 10

Happy one year anniversary @Laurel

All the continued best on your google journey 😀

Connect Moderator

@Laurel congratulations on your double celebration. Nice to know you are a mom and wife for 14yrs! Wow! 

I loved your accessibility post which was detailed and how the School authority took considerations of the special needs of differently enabled in the institution.

Personally, I am grateful to you for assisting me last year with your photograph. We used the masquerade photo for the first Mbaise Masquerade Festival. 🤗

As usual, if you need anything do reach out...

While, you have more time to contribute to the LG programme, I look forward to a vibrant community in Enugu or any other location you may find yourself! 

Cheers

With 💚 from Owerri

Emeka Ulor

Connect Moderator

Happy 1 Year Anniversary @Laurel! Thanks for the mention here. I agree with @ErmesT, Local Guides like you and @EmekaUlor who post about disability accessibility here on Connect and on Google Maps inspire the rest of us, Local Guides, and help our communities even more.

Cannot wait to see what you will be doing in the upcoming year here! Keep posting your great content here in “Local Stories.”

Cheers,

Karen 

Level 6

@ErmesT thanks for appreciating my write-ups, am so honored. I promise you that more will be coming especially on the issues of whairchair accessibility.

Level 6

Thanks @U-royFelixA. Sorry for the late reply reply

Level 6

Good to know that my posts and that of @EmekaUlor inspire you @KarenVChin. Thanks.

More will be coming