JR_Curley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Once a City Expert, now a Local Guide - what's next!

Back in March of 2014, I attended the first "City Experts" party in Los Angeles. I was immediately enthralled with a program that enabled anyone - everyone - the ability to take their own experiences with locations and share it with others for the greater good. That single party continues to impact my life in the positive. I love being able to share with others my experiences, with the hope that the few minutes it takes to write a review, or snap a picture, it will help others.

Within weeks, the addiction took hold, one review at a time! Partnering with another City Exp...I mean Local Guides...we made a short YouTube series to help educate others on the fundamentals of being a City Expert. We even had a couple of celebrities join us, @TraciC and @Gus ! 🙂 The amazing Local Guides program continued to grow internationally, and in 2015 it felt like the right time to kick off the first Local Guide Photo Walk! It was incredible to meet people from around the world, back when we had to reach out via Google+ communities. If you're in this video be sure to say hi!

The Local Guides program is amazing, it can touch people in so many ways through so many avenues. Reviews were the start, but the program quickly expanded and the power of map makers/map edits came in hot. On top of that, Google began to market Local Guides extensively, which was great, as new Local Guides streamed in.

As part of the ramp up, Google created a new YouTube series, Local Guides Swap. I was so excited and honoured to be part of Season One Local Guides Swap. If you haven't seen the series, check it out, they're a ton of fun. It kicked off with Season 1 Episode 1, which racked up 2.5 million views. The next time you're in Los Angeles, let me know, I'm always happy to provide tips, tricks and share hidden and locals "only" locations!

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 1.05.26 AM.png

Because this was a Swap, I had the opportunity to be shown around NYC by Charlie, Local Guide from NYC!  Yay to almost 1.8 million views! Check out all the amazing content Google has put up on their YouTube channel. it's fun, thoughtful, and inspiring.

Fast forward to September, 2016. The first Local Guides Summit! I about fell out of my chair when I realized I'd have the chance to go. Yet another incredible experience to be a part of this community called Local Guides! I met so many incredible people there, @U-royFelixA@PrachyM@KarenVChin@DrShaunak ... it's a long list so I'll stop there! 🙂 Being able to provide feedback for the program at that level was humbling. It was a true privilege to be a part of it.

Talking about lists, the list goes on and every year it continues to surprise and awe me. In 2017 the second LG Summit happened, and it was the "best Summit ever!", where I met even more awe-inspiring people, all making positive differences through the Local Guides program. Here are some photos from both Summits and a Local Guide event back in they day. 😄

LGSumMod.JPG

IMG_20160526_145704.jpg

IMG_20160915_004541.jpg

IMG_20171010_194622.jpg

My two biggest passions that I'm able to channel through Local Guides are helping others through knowledge, and connecting people to benefit all involved. it's such a great feeling to be talking to a friend and have them say "Hey JR, you'll never believe this! I was looking up a restaurant and I saw your review! It helped me make a decision on whether to go or not!" It's all about helping others, and I'm just glad I was able to help.

My tip to all new and tenured Local Guides - share what you're passionate about! Your experiences, your stories, can make a profound impact on others. The Local Guides program, Google Maps, and Connect all come together to provide a great platform to share your experience. I'm so excited to see what's next for the Local Guides program and all of us who're a part of it. You never know what magic can happen when you follow your passion!

Los Angeles, CA, USA
53 comments
Level 10

Re: Once a City Expert, now a Local Guide - what's next!

i think with out you incomplete summit all time hope this year also you attend connect live @JR_Curley. and every one enjoy a lot  

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

Level 8

@JR_Curley awesome bro

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Level 10

Great Post! Good Luck for Connect Live! @JR_Curley

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 10

Google gives you the power to change the wooooooooooorld

Level 9

@JR_Curley All the best.  Meeting  with you and other LG in California was a memorable experience for me.  I hope we can again meet in near future. 

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Level 8

I tried to tag you @MahabubMunna in the first post but for some reason it wouldn't let me!

For those of you who watch the first Local Guides Global Photowalk, you'll see that @MahabubMunna is in the first picture! 😄

I hope to see you as well sir!

Level 8

Yes! Anytime you're going to be in Los Angeles, please say hello! I live very close to the airport, and would be more than happy to pick you up and show you around. 🙂

Level 8

Thanks @PavelSarwar! It was a long post, but wanted to share a little bit of everything. Hope to see you this year in San Francisco! 😄