iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Omakase (Chef's Choice) Experience at Sushi Ginza Onodera, Tokyo, Japan

So I have a few days of layover at Tokyo on my way back to US, and decided to treat myself with some fine sushi.

After looking at reviews on Google Maps, I figure I'll try out this place called Sushi Ginza Onodera. At first I'm a bit skeptical since it has branches all over the world (hey @brittym @Atsukot @Charlie_S they have a branch in NYC :p)

Website and Maps says reservation only, but I tried to make one through the website, and it says I need to do it one day in advance. So I decided to show up before the restaurant was open, and they still have a few spaces left.

Caption: Bar seating at Sushi Ginza Onodera, TokyoCaption: Bar seating at Sushi Ginza Onodera, Tokyo

I looked at the menu and decided to get the 15 pieces meal for 10000 yen (a bit below USD $100). It's not exactly inexpensive, but it's also not outrageously expensive. Coming in for lunch session helps.

The chef speaks English adequately and was very courteous. He asked me if there's anything I don't eat, or if I'm allergic to anything. I told him I have no restriction. He also asked if I want 'little' or 'big' rice on the sushi, and he seems surprised when I told him I want 'little. I did it on purpose, since I won't be too full and I can still eat more later throughout the day 😛

Then the sushi was served one by one. The chef will put one in my plate, explaining what it is, then wait until I finish eating before moving on to the next one. In here you're not just paying for the food. You're paying for the experience. I took every single photo of what I ate, but I will only post a few that I think is interesting in this post. If you want to see the full list, please check out this Imgur album.

What's sushi dining without tuna? Apparently I was served tuna from the first auction they won of the year.

Caption: First tuna won from auction of the yearCaption: First tuna won from auction of the year

Caption: otoro - fatty tuna. It melts in my mouth.Caption: otoro - fatty tuna. It melts in my mouth.

At one point during the meal, the chef put the shrimp below in front of me.. and it moved. Yup, it was still alive. He then brought it back to be boiled and served. At least he didn't do it in front of me. Lol.

Caption: The shrimp was still moving when I saw itCaption: The shrimp was still moving when I saw it

Caption: Boiled shrimpCaption: Boiled shrimp

I don't usually eat uni (sea urchin) outside Japan since they're usually not fresh, but this was so soft and creamy. It melts in my mouth. So good.

Caption: Uni (sea urchin)Caption: Uni (sea urchin)

I forgot what this is called, but the chef explained to me that this is most likely the first fish used in sushi ever. It has been served since 300 years ago. If you know what this is (or if I'm wrong), please do let me know.

FafcxQ6

At the end, we were served this dessert. A coconut pudding with green tea sauce, topped with gold. Yes. Gold. Apparently we can eat gold?

Caption: Coconut pudding with green tea sauce and edible goldCaption: Coconut pudding with green tea sauce and edible gold

Well that's all. Overall I really enjoyed the food an experience. If you're thinking of trying one of these omakase dining, see if you can grab a lunch spot, since it's usually (marginally!) cheaper. At least for sushi restaurants in Tokyo. Not sure for the rest of the world, but it's definitely worth checking

Thanks for reading so far. It's time to walk around to find more food 🙂

Sushi Ginza Onodera, 5 Chome-14 Ginza, 中央区銀座 Tokyo, Japan
20 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Omakase (Chef's Choice) Experience at Sushi Ginza Onodera, Tokyo, Japan

Hi @iyudhi,

Thanks for sharing this amazing post with us.

I'm glad to hear that you found the places on Google Maps. My favorite is the nigiri either with salmon or tuna, and these photos are mouth watering. Honestly, I have never seen uni, but it looks yummy. 

I'm impressed about the dessert, and I've met with gold in champagne before.

@AngieYC I'm sure you would like to see this, and add something.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hello @iyudhi,

Thank you @Petra_M for tagging me and yes I love everything from this post.

You are visiting one fancy restaurant there in Ginza, but the sushi and sashimi in Japan are on another level compares to Jakarta. Did you just visit Japan again?.

By the way in Jakarta, I heard some of the restaurant are implementing Omakase dining but with non Japanese food, more towards western cuisine. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@Petra_M I also love salmon and tuna, but once you get a taste of tuna in Japan, you may not want to eat it anywhere else ever again. I'm not sure if they just get all the good parts, but tuna outside Japan just doesn't taste as good.

Connect Moderator

@AngieYC I'm on an (extended) layover flying back to US from Jakarta. I purposely design my route so I have a layover in Tokyo 😛

Google Moderator

Hello @iyudhi,

I think next time I have to do the same next time when I travel, because Japan is always a good stop! 

How's Jakarta anything new?, I hope you had a great trip back home. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Ok @iyudhi, I got it. I should definitely plan a trip to Japan. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@iyudhi There have been many great posts on Japanese food and restaurants, and yours is no exception.

It seems like a very entertaining experience, and tasty too. The photos you shared look amazing, and watching each dish being done so close to you must be really interesting.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Level 10

You are fortunate to have a wonderful experience @iyudhi😆 How looks delicious…! It would be a high-class sushi that most Japanese never ate🍣🤤

The sushi you asked is "小肌 Kohada". This is one of the two kinds of fish which are supposed to be first offered at "江戸前寿司 Edo-mae Sushi" in Tokyo. Therefore, ordering Kohada at a Tokyo sushi shop prove you are familiar with sushi🍣🤔.

You will notice, it was not possible to eat raw in the past. Therefore, they sold the fermented sushi inexpensively on the street. Kohada at the time was a fish not worthless to eat, but it was used for fermentation. This fermented sushi was called "なれ寿司 Nare sushi" and existed 1000 years ago. However, it is different from the sushi we know.

"Omakase" system is very good. Because they choose the most delicious fish that day. Furthermore, In order to eat all the different fish deliciously to the utmost taste, they chose the order of fish so that the feeling of the tongue is not lost😋.

The custom of eating gold is Asia. This is because the doctor used it as a medicine since ancient times. But only gold is harmless because it does not dissolve in the body scientifically.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Hi, @iyudhi

All of them are absolutely delicious! They are perfect Edomae style Sushi:-9

Enjoy your journey 🙂