ChinonsoOnukwugha's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Nigerian Palm Wine

Hello friends!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting up with @EmekaUlor at Old English Grill & Bar in Owerri, Nigeria. Despite the name, the place is actually known for its palm wine and traditional delicacies (e.g. nkwobi - peppery cow feet, assorted meat, crocodile, abacha - African salad, etc.). Palm wine is a drink commonly found in tropical locations and is retrieved from the sap of various types of palm trees. The beverage is often cloudy and whitish in colour (though I recently found out from Emeka that it can be darker) and has a sweet alcoholic taste as a result of being fermented. While palm wine can be found in various parts of the world, the taste varies from country to country.

IMG_20190218_162827.jpg

The picture above illustrates the drink. I found out that Emeka is actually a connoisseur in palm wine (though he may be humble about it), and he educated me about different types. From our conversation, you should definitely try out spots in Mbaise, Imo State, Nigeria! From what I hear, it's creme de la creme of all palm wines.

IMG-20190218-WA0007.jpg

Overall, Emeka and I had a splendid time! We chatted about a range of topics and inevitably, we touched on the Google Local Guide world, #OneAccessibility series and how we can do more for the community both within and outside Nigeria. Emeka also taught me about 360 photos and ways to take awesome street pictures! If you're in the area, definitely make a stop at this place and also try the gizzard! I could not get enough of it.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Chinonso Onukwugha

Old English Bar & Grill, Ikenegbu Road, Owerri, Nigeria
15 comments
Level 10

Re: Nigerian Palm Wine

Nice one @ChinonsoOnukwugha and @EmekaUlor  I Ibe love palmwine. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really nice! Yummy!

Level 7

Waoh! Nice 👌 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @ChinonsoOnukwugha,

Wow, this looks really nice! Thanks for sharing the details and photos! I've never tried this type of wine, but it looks good. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

@ChinonsoOnukwugha  Wow, thanks for sharing this. Happy to know that palm wine is enjoy in so many places around the world. 🙂

This was my previous post about palm wine where I am in Malaysia

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/An-escapade-with-Palm-Toddy/m-p/1122081#M20...

Level 9

I take palm wine often here. It's our natural gift and blessing here in eastern part of Nigeria. Thanks for sharing @ChinonsoOnukwugha . Great post!

Level 6

@ChinonsoOnukwugha Nice article on Palm Wine. How much do you have to drink to become inebriated?

Just joking 🙂

In India we make it out of coconut trees also. 

Level 6

Nice one

Level 7

@U-royFelixA Thank you, so do I!

@Anonymous It truly was 🙂

@Silooobaba Thanks!

@AlexaAC You're welcome! I would definitely recommend and good this you can find this worldwide.

@StephenAbraham Same here! I read it, and I so love it!

@UchechukwuEnem  Completely agree. Where is your favourite spot to go?

@Indira_IllathuVala Thank you and that's very interesting. Haha, it depends on the person drinking it and how much you can handle 😉

@Nickospot Thanks!