HelloSamsonR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Nigeria Local Guides Glow at Google Impact Challenge Nigeria

From creating great and useful products helping millions if not billions around the world today, Google is still not slowing down on it's efforts to drive economic opportunity in various communities around the world. In recent times, Google has been doing a lot in Africa and most especially in Nigeria and I must sincerely appreciate the efforts they are making to drive a change in my community Nigeria.

Few months ago, the Google Impact Challenge was launched in Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa. Remember last year July 22, 2017 the CEO of Google Sundar Pichai made an announcement at the Google for Nigeria event which was held in Lagos, Nigeria in which I was present, that Google.org is committing $20M to non-profit and social enterprise innovators using technology to tackle some of Africa's and the world's biggest challenges over the next five years.

The Google Impact Challenge Nigeria is a part of the commitment made by Google. When the challenge was launched in Nigeria, I and my team which includes some Nigerian local guides like Dickson, Nnamdi Sammie, Olumide, Magbagbeola & Lerato,  participated in the challenge. We had a vision of creating a new learning experience for the Nigerian society, but unfortunately we didn't make it to the finals, but not too worry as that will not still stop us from achieving this goal in the nearest future.

I was delighted to be invited by the Google For Africa team to the day of the presentation of grants to finalists who made it through to the finals. It was a great experience for me as I was able to meet and connect with similar people who share same passion in driving economic development in Nigeria. I also got to meet and interact with the country director Google Nigeria, and many familiar faces which includes some Googlers.

During the event I met a lot of Nigerian Local Guides like Emeka, Issac, Sagir and Sanya. We all had an amazing time during the event. From sharing experiences, networking to  taking amazing photos to food and drinks, we also wined and partied together. This was a night to remember, One in which many of us will call one of the best Google nights in Nigeria ;).

Millions of lives are changing daily in Africa through the various Google initiatives. Thank you Google for your efforts in fueling growth in Africa, We look forward to seeing more great things from you. You can see some of our fun photos below:

Caption: Emeka left, me on on the middle and  Googler biodun on the right during a Google event in Lagos, NigeriaCaption: Emeka left, me on on the middle and Googler biodun on the right during a Google event in Lagos, Nigeria

Caption: Nigerian Local Guides Group PhotographCaption: Nigerian Local Guides Group Photograph

Caption: A team photo of Me & LeratoCaption: A team photo of Me & Lerato

IMG_20181219_151433.jpg

Has the Google Impact Challenge been launched in your country or have been held in the past ? Let me know in the comments section below by sharing your experience with me.

Lagos, Nigeria
7 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Nigeria Local Guides Glow at Google Impact Challenge Nigeria

Hi @HelloSamsonR,

Thank you for sharing. 

It is great to see the event unfolded and have such positive results.

P.s: Great dress code!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Level 10

Thank you @sonnyNg for your kind compliments, I appreciate them :).

Connect Moderator

It was great and lovely evening.

Seeing the way Google is helping in all possible ways it's amazing.

Thanks Google for this great opportunity giving to my people.

Thanks @HelloSamsonR for putting this here

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 8

Nice write up, indeed Google is doing a great job and impact created is well appreciated @HelloSamsonR

Level 10

Thank you @Sagir & @OkekeNkiruka. Sincere appreciation to you.

Thought to share this with you @TraciC. After connect live Abuja and my travel to different cities across Nigeria. Herein another Google event I was caught up with the week after :). 

Level 10

@HelloSamsonR The caption sits quite well with the recap. I just can’t seem to get enough of reading and looking at the photos. Thank you for sharing bro 

Level 10

Thanks so much for the kind words @U-royFelixA. I sincerely appreciate.