Amiran's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

New spam way on the map! What is your idea?

Google announced new bonus points for reviews more than 200 characters, Although previously I was thought this bonus points can help to have more good reviews, but currently this caused more spams on the map! In fact I see many users are adding "Copied" reviews. They find content about one place from the web (like "about us" page of the company or in many cases like landmarks from Wikipedia) and copy it inside the review section!

We all know review should be description about personal experience about one place, So these copied reviews, are obviously wrong and moreover cause a messed up review section with many same reviews!!

Just in last 2 weeks on Iran's map, I saw nearly 20 users with such reviews!! I found some of these users in social networks and warned to them for correction, also reported many such reviews but surely there should be better way to prevent from these kind of spam reviews. As we requested previously image processing system to prevent from duplicate images on the map, it can be also one system to search review on the web (in background) and if it finds similar content (ex. more than 10 respective word) prevent from publishing it.

LGC users, what is your idea guys?

Your note also appreciated @BruceDM @TraciC

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: New spam way on the map! What is your idea?

Hello @Amiran,

Thank you for your note and your observation of this recent trend with new reviews. Copy and pasting from other sources to reach 200 characters has not gone unnoticed by us and we are discussing ways to combat the new trend. It seems that by creating a new badge, we also create some new adverse behaviors by Local Guides.

This is a process that can take some time to solve so I would recommend flagging any review as inappropriate through the Google Maps interface so that they the reviews might be escalated to the appropriate teams.  

I am not available to respond on the weekend

View solution in original post

Level 8

I don't know how those persons can take this so lightly. Here we are so passionate and trying to help people but some are so much mis using it.

200 characters is really a good options so share our thoughts or about the shop so that others may read and think whether they can go or shouldn't.

These people should be strictly banned. I really appreciate what you have done @Amiran.

Happy Guiding,
Jagadeesh Reddy.
Level 10

Yes @Jagadeesh_Reddy, I'm totally agree with you. We're here to help people with our contributes but really don't know why some users only try to get points by incorrect methods 😕

Connect Moderator

What I hope @Amiran

Is to have a good algorithm for fighting spam. But it is not always simple, and the risk is to have a new wave of not approved edits, photos, reviews.

Before to go to the Lgsummit2017 I asked to our community to give some suggestions about what to ask / propose when at the summit. 

And the reply was basically : spam fighting. 

I personally like long reviews, for quality improvement. 

Of course the risk of spam is always present. I would like to have a warning system, to inform about possible duplication of photos /reviews. Something to transform a possible mistake in a confirmed, intentional action.

Ermes 

Solution

Hello @Amiran,

Thank you for your note and your observation of this recent trend with new reviews. Copy and pasting from other sources to reach 200 characters has not gone unnoticed by us and we are discussing ways to combat the new trend. It seems that by creating a new badge, we also create some new adverse behaviors by Local Guides.

This is a process that can take some time to solve so I would recommend flagging any review as inappropriate through the Google Maps interface so that they the reviews might be escalated to the appropriate teams.  

Level 10

@ErmesT, I like long "good" reviews, too. Myself also try to give complete view to the readers to help them to decid

Maybe preparing an algorithm for this not to be simple (although I don't think so about this current issue 😅) but at least thinking to the issue and discussing about it at this time,  can help to have a better system sooner.

Thank you @BruceDM, this is really good to hear that Google also has mentioned to this issue. I'll continue reporting such reviews individually and hope to see a good system to prevent from spams more and more

I should also congratulate holidays and new year to you my dears 😊

Thank you @Amiran - May you have a very happy and successful 2018 and I look forward to chatting more in the New Year!

Level 10

You're amazing @BruceDM, this is my pleasure to chat more with you in 2018 and I'm really eager to have this chance to meet you at the summit ☺️

Level 4

was a free idea not for sale or any thing else check the idea and say to me what the proplems .and thnx for your comments