ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

New in Google Maps - UPDATES "By visitors"

Google Maps silently continues to surprise us and I love this latest change, mostly unnoticed

The world is changing rapidly, with the pandemic also changing the appearance of local businesses.
The signage for the queues, the temperature control, the safety dividers, have been implemented in the last year.
We answered many questions when Maps asked (and continues to ask) about these changes.

We have also added photos and most of our photos have sadly disappeared in a sea of other photos, dishes, products and our feeling about how to keep the business even "visually" updated has often been frustrating.
We are very familiar with the "UPDATES" tab that appears in the business listing on mobile devices, however that tab has always been associated with Google My Business, as a "business" space to share the update with us (visitors )

I would never have noticed that the card had changed, if Google Maps had not invited me to "update" the information by adding a photo in a POI

Caption: A screenshot taken from Google Maps on mobile, showing the new "by visitors" tab under the mai UPDATES tab in a business listingCaption: A screenshot taken from Google Maps on mobile, showing the new "by visitors" tab under the mai UPDATES tab in a business listing

Updating information is easy:

For every business:

• In Google Maps on mobile, find the business card you want to update, tap Updates> By visitors, and add your photo
  • For a business where you already contributed, you will be prompted to "Add a highlight from a recent visit"

ermest_0-1614605797776.png

You can post a photo, adding a comment under the photo. E.g., in the example here below I wanted to highlight the fact that the Park has been recently improved to be fully accessible

ermest_1-1614605914301.png

Stay tuned for the improvement to roll out in your app, and update the information about the places you know

All users will be grateful to you

Treviso, Province of Treviso, Italy
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: New in Google Maps - UPDATES "By visitors"

Thanks for noticing and sharing, @ErmesT 

I was unable to find the Updates By visitors-tab in my IOS and Android apps. So I guess it could be a test or just another slow roll-out.

Are text updates also an option? How are such photos given priority on the page?

Cheers

Morten

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this update with us @ErmesT, but unfortunately it's not available here now. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

Oops, @MortenCopenhagen , @NareshDarji 

As I am using a public App, maybe I was one of the first to obtain the upgrade.

I have added more indication on the post to respond to your questions. In short.

The photos will appear as usual in the tabs (All, recent, by you) and in addition it will be present on the "Update" tab of the business

ermest_0-1614606392117.png

Connect Moderator

Hi @ErmesT! Updates are a great way to share tips and really useful information with everyone

I started to add Updates a couple of weeks ago, but lately I haven´t been able to, because the app crashes (it only crashes when uploading updates), have you experienced something similar when uploading photos as updates?

Connect Moderator

HoHo, @LaloPadilla , great.

Glad that I am not alone in this experience (even if honestly the idea of being the first one was a bit intriguing) 🙂

I am not experiencing any crash right now. I have a Pixel3XL with android 11 and the version 10.61.2 of the App (public beta)

Level 8

Hi @ErmesT indeed it was very useful information.. thanks for all the suggestions and tips.Keep up the good work

George
Connect Moderator

Level 8

Hi @ErmesT I think so it's not available

George
Connect Moderator

Gracias por compartir @ErmesT , creo que está disponible en las dos plataformas iOS y Android, solo que depende del sitio , si tiene novedades 😊 @MortenCopenhagen 

1952CE3E-2BA6-4F6C-809E-1D9953F0B88A.jpeg

 Farid