MortenCopenhagen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

New directions look

Fellow Local Guides,

Last week I noticed a new design feature in the Google Maps Android app. Let me know if you have it also, since it might be rolling out slowly over months as we have seen with other new features.

In the Settings menu, a new option is now shown above the App language setting which used to be the first option. It is called New directions look and it is turned on by default. You can see the new setting in the screenshot below.

Earlier the navigation options "Car, Public transport, Walking, or traveling by bicycle" were shown with icons at the top of the navigation as seen here:

With the new design, these icons moved down into a list below the map. For each transportation mode, the expected travel time is indicated as you can see in the next screenshot along with preview buttons, and more.

I don't know if I like the new design better. So luckily, Google decided to allow us to keep using the old design for a limited time, as you can see below. 

What do you think?

Cheers

Morten

PS:
@JanVanHaver, Maybe you want to mention this in an upcoming episode of your Podcast?

Copenhagen, Danmark
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: New directions look

I don't have the option yet @MortenCopenhagen , bit I will most certainly add it to the list of news items 🙂.

Thx for sharing & tagging.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Hi @MortenCopenhagen 

I also don't have this feature yet.

I'm not sure if I prefer this or not but I think the options in previous version were more accessible.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 10

Ynt: New directions look

İos da daha gelmedi😅

Connect Moderator

Hi @davidhyno

Inspired by your post I just checked. And guess what?

The new design is now gone in my app. So is the setting to chose between the old and new design. 

Maybe it was just a test. 

Cheers 

Morten