cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Needed: Tips for first time visitor to Abuja, Nigeria

@TraciC

Wow!!!

Its gone be great having u around in Nigeria...

I will gladly show you round town, take those walks, have a taste of the local cuisine and I can assure you that you will enjoy your time here...

Welcome to Naija!!!

Level 8

Nice one dear @TraciC thanks for having it in mind to visit, wishes you successful landing and welcome in advance, promised that your 3 main travel style you mentioned will be accomplished.

Connect Moderator

Super duper excited... Jumping @TraciC in Abuja Nigeria.

You are most welcome before your arrival...

For things to do or where to go..

I will recommend you visit 

1. Central business District : there are 2 iconic buildings that significantly show Nigeria's religious background and the 2 power house of the national economy (NNPC towers which is cash cow of the country and Central Bank which is custodian of the cash)

2. Wuse area: either wuse market or Wuse 2

3. Jabi: Jabi lake, Jabi mall ( you can get local cuisine in the restaurants at the mall) or Jabi park.

4. Mama Africa art and craft market or Nike art and gallery.

Though you are picky with food, I will recommend this few

1. Suya (kebab)

2. Tuwo shinkafa with vegetable soup or Pounded yam with Eforiro or Amala with Ewedu soup

3. Look for Masa don't miss this.

4. FURA da Nono ( a kind of local yoghourt)

This are my few suggestions.

I'm not invited yet for the connect but if I'm allowed I will come around.

Enjoy your stay...

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 8

Hello @TraciC

I wish you a quick recovery. Glad you would be coming to Nigeria. I suggest you visit National Park. I believe it would be a memorable experience for you. 

Regards 

Olumide 

Level 10

Haha @Sagir, nice suggestions.  You could imagine I haven't tasted those meals . 

Isaac
Level 10

@UchechukwuEnem That's one hell of a list . Well done , great suggestions too. It shows you have really been to the nooks and crannies of Abuja 😎

Isaac
Level 7

I am a Nigerian but have not visited Abuja before. But I bet you will enjoy your stay. Welcome to naija @TraciC

Level 8

@Sagir great suggestions there and I assure you @TraciC that you will enjoy your stay here...

And as mentioned, Gwarinpa is a very big estate with a lot of activities.

Level 8

Hello @TraciC

Firstly, I wish you a speedy recovery from surgery and hope that it heals well enough for you to jump a few times whilst in NIgeria.

Secondly, its really nice to hear that you will be coming to Abuja and the continent for the first time. We surely should make it a worthwhile time for you. 

Even better is the fact that we will be having a connect live event here - whoop whoop!! 

Considering your preferences. 

1. Abuja is relatively safe to walk around especially if you are staying in the central district - if staying at the Nicon Hilton then even the grounds are noteworthy. 

With the event being held in Barcelona Hotels, you will be suited to plan a walk around the Central Area, Wuse & Garki (Area 11 & 2 most especially). Do check out the Arts and craft market around the Sheraton Hotel area and make sure to visit the Jabi Lake (its pure bliss to be honest). 

Because Abuja was planned for tourists and social attractions, you will also find it interesting to see how the green parks have been adapted to integrate social night life with live music and local delicacies. 
If you like spicy food, be sure to try out the variables of Pepper soup as exist - I love the fish pepper soup option though because its always prepared fresh and you can literally pick the particular fish that you want to be prepared for you from the artificial pond they are kept in. 

If you are in town on a Friday, then plan to visit the Central mosque to see the cultural heritage of the Muslim religion - traders line the streets around the mosque with their wares for sale. 

A walk through Wuse 2 is also suggested and the market if you don't mind seeing the commercial hustle and bustle of the traders setup and jostling to catch the attention of customers that come through. 

For the few days that you will be there and coupled with the planned activities of the Connect Live event, these should definitely keep you occupied. 

FYI: for those who love to dance salsa, there is a Wednesday night social dancing at Barcelona Hotel's Rooftop on Wednesdays between 7 & 10 pm. 

Tips

1. Security: as with any city in the world, try not to walk alone or with valuables like a mobile phone, cash and flashy jewelry hanging around. I am assuming that you will likely be with a backpack and/or sling bag so that's fine to move around with. 

2. Dressing in Abuja is pretty much easy - best part is to be comfortable. You may opt to carry a shawl/scarf to shield you from the sun. Sunglasses and/or a cap are always very helpful; don't forget your sunscreen

and retail outlets you would be very fine as a lot of the people are learned and speak English too. 

3. Public transportation is generally more affordable and with Uber currently operational there, you will definitely be comfortable if you don't have a designated driver round the clock. 

If you would like to hike or run through an ethereal landscape, then do reach out to the MonstaTribe - they have regular hikes and are fun people to be with. 

For where to eat local cuisine, check out 

- Jevinik Restaurant, Wuse 2

- Yahuza Suya, Wuse 2

- 805 Restaurants, Wuse 2

- The Puff puff place 

I might help to compile a list and share before your trip 

Cheers!!

Level 10

@TraciC Hey Traci, you’ve gotten lots of tips alesdy but you may want to dress light and also come with your sun glasses cause its super sunny and super hot I’m Abuja. 🤣🤣🤣

You May want also try out the Kunu, Zobo, Fura, masa, kilishi and Ram Suya. These are some of Abuja’s finest delicacies. 😀

Have fun, Traci.