Rob_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Need "By Appointment Only" as well as "Core Hours" (or various) for Business Hours

I really like the way we can tailor the business hours per day, but it's not applicable in all case. As I was attempting to fill in information about local businesses, there were two issues I noticed: 1) Companies with: "By Appointment Only". 2) Companies that don't have strict hours (but variable), but may have a core set of hours. Appointment Only: I did upload a photo on the door indicating "By Appointment Only", but a radio button would be helpful (see business mentioned in location) Non-Standard Hours: I was visiting a Sports Complex and they told me the following: "We don't have posted hours since our times vary. We do have to open at 0700 since the Orthopedic doctors on the 2nd floor opens at 0700. However, our closing hours can vary. This week, we closed at 8pm, while another day we didn't close until 0100." (In this instance I put 0700 - 2000, but it's not a perfect representation) I think an update to accommodate these instances would be helpful.
Absolutely Electrolysis Salon & Permanent Makeup, South Northwest Highway, Fox River Grove, IL, United States
9 comments
Level 10

Re: Need "By Appointment Only" as well as "Core Hours" (or various) for Business

@Rob_P In regards to the "by appointment only", is this all days, or is is only one day a week? If its one day a week (or maybe on weekends) then its fine to just not set the hours for that day. They would have to contact the business during the posted hours to establish an off-hours appointment, so the hours would be valid.

In the case of if the business is "by appointment only", and doesn't have set business hours at all, its best to consider if the listing is even eligible to be listed on Maps. I would have to search for it, but there was a thread in the Map Maker Product Forums a year or more ago, where the author (and top contributor) said that if a business operates on an "appointment only" basis, for example from a private home or a shared working space (where they only use the space for meetings and appointments, but are not there otherwise) then they would not be eligible.

In regards to variable hours, I'm not certain there's a way to make that work, since Google Maps posts opening and closing times, it would be hard to list that for reliable presentation. I do know there has been a long standing feature request for "seasonal" hours, so a shop that only opens for certain times of the year could be listed as closed during the off season, or if they have Summer/Winter hours, both sets of hours could be input with a setting of when they change, eliminating remembering to manually change them (or in a seasonally opened business, being listed as "Permanently Closed" for several months a year).

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 8

Re: Need "By Appointment Only" as well as "Core Hours" (or various) for Business

@MWJones Some further information: "By Appointment only": This is NOT a business inside someone's home. The business is in a strip mall. It is a dedicated space (not shared with any other business). I would assume the business has enough clients to keep operating in this manner. I posted pictures of the business and mentioned the location in the post (see location information in this post). I have not attempted to go to this establishment repeatedly, in order to find out if I can speak to the owner face to face. Even if I did, I'm sure the response was as I have indicated "By Appointment Only" (I even took a picture of the sign on the window/door saying "By appointment only".) I think "By Appointment Only" is valid in some cases for office hours. Variable Hours: I was not speaking of seasonal hours. I put in the "core hours" for the Sports Complex. I guess that's good enough.
Level 10

@Rob_P So it appears that the "Location" value only puts the little map up in the top-right corner of the page, and doesn't really give links or anything else. I did pull down the business from that map, and pulled up the images you posted here and here.

Now that I have that context, this would be a grey area. Under the rules and policies we operate under as Map Maker Regional Leads this is even questionable. For example, a catering business has a kitchen located in a commercial space, but only allows clients to come in for menu tastings "by appointment only". That would be a similar situation, where this might come in to play.

I currently don't have a clear and definitive answer, but am going to pass your inquiry up the Regional Lead channels for clarification.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 8

Hey @Rob_P,

These types of businesses are permitted on Google My Business (which means they would also be on Maps/MapMaker) because they have a physical location. The GMB guidelines state that you are supposed to leave the hours blank:

Certain types of businesses shouldn’t provide hours, including those with varied hours (like schedules for different types of activities, including showtimes, worship services, or classes) and those that operate only by appointment.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

A format for "by appointment only" is something that has been requested a TON over at the GMB forum and I know Google is aware people want it but I don't know if/when they will ever implement it.

Level 7

@Rob_P Good idea, I've come across this before as well

Level 8

There are two issues with "leaving it blank" 1) The lack of information is not as clear as stating: "By appointment only", since the lack of information infers "missing information". 2) The BETA "Help fill in missing information" tool will result in other Google Local Guides attempting to fill in information, waste their time only to find out the business is "By Appointment Only". If Google wants this BETA project to be successful and helpful (find missing data, or check suspect data), then I believe this "loop hole" needs to be corrected. Why have the tool keep showing up as "needs information", when clearly the information has been obtained but Google' policy of "leave it blank" causes a waste of resources and time?
Level 7

I agree that we need a "By appointment only" option.  I just added a museum that is run by volunteers. They will happily go and open it for anyone who wants to visit but you have to call first.  My solution was to write it into my review, but I wish there was some way to say it in the basic information.  I didn't even know the museum existed until I found a website (not official) so I was happy to add it to Google Maps to tell other people about it.

Level 9

I really hope that Google Maps will find soon a solution for "By Appointment Only" in open hour service on Google MyBusiness !!!

This is important for a lot of Business and the internet community (local and international), because of confusion with this lack of information before to come in front of these businesses to see the real schedule or open hours,...

360Pixtour, Google Street View Trusted Photographer, Belgium - Brussels Google Local Guide, The75 GLGs 2016
Level 7

This link explains Google My Business current policy for non-uniform business hours:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en