Marketos-Damigos's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Need for Anonymous mode

Lately while i was working i visited a hotel and some days after i wanted to do a review. The place for my taste was really bad. So i did my review and gave one star. 

In less than a day the owner of the hotel called me on my mobile phone (which i guess she Googled and found it) and started yelling why i did a bad review. Also she remembered me and told me that she will talk to my customer (a bride, i am a photographer) about my bad review. So she asked me to change my review. 

I believe that the reviews should have the option of being anonymous or being that way by default. Each review should show the level of the member and if he/she is a local guide instead of our real names. 

Thanks in advance.

Greece
9 comments
Level 8

Re: Need for Anonymous mode

The option of being able to do an anonymous review might not be a bad idea. But making reviews anonymous by default, i do not think so.  

If a business gets a bad review they should analyze their business practice.

@Marketos-Damigos wrote:

Lately while i was working i visited a hotel and some days after i wanted to do a review. The place for my taste was really bad. So i did my review and gave one star. 

In less than a day the owner of the hotel called me on my mobile phone (which i guess she Googled and found it) and started yelling why i did a bad review. Also she remembered me and told me that she will talk to my customer (a bride, i am a photographer) about my bad review. So she asked me to change my review. 

I believe that the reviews should have the option of being anonymous or being that way by default. Each review should show the level of the member and if he/she is a local guide instead of our real names. 

Thanks in advance.

Level 6

I agree. I have many review drafts, that I cannot post because of the "real name" thing. I have no desire to have my name on any google product, yet the failed google plus launch left it's mark on my account.

There are some real wack jobs out there in the world. I have been stalked and harassed on several internet platforms due to the "post your real name" idiocy. In the early days of the net, you used your username only. It was common sense until facebook became successful.

Level 5

Also we all know that Google needs data, good data. If we, that give them for free willingly because we like it, aren't safe to do so and edit our reviews because of some crazy owners or because of our real life relationships then why should we do it?

Level 8

I think the debate for named review or not will not end.  They both have their own pros and cons.

It is obvious to me, that once we can do anonymous reviews, then less and less of us will be doing named reviews.  So the only way to have meaningful named reviews is to disable anonymous reviews.

Level 8

@YK1001. I agree. I do not see it ever being anonymous.  Traditionally reviews in print or tv have never been anonymous.

Level 6

If nobody will post thier names without coersion, that’s a knock against named reviews imo.

The individual takes a risk for the supposed benefit of the group, but the risk is not rewarded.

This sort of arm twisting is the major problem with modern “platform” based technology.

Level 7

Hello @Marketos-Damigos @VBenedict @terminationshok @YK1001

I' am on both sides of the fence with this one.

If we had Anonymous mode people would feel safer in posting those lower reviews, specially when most hotels / motels plus other places etc do have records of peoples real names.

Unfortunately by being allowed to post anonymously it gives people a sense of power which some decide to abuse without possible consequence so an increase of false reviews would be likely.

Anyway, anonymously or not if a place can't handle a bad review from time to time then they really shouldn't be in business at all.

FYI = I've only ever posted one review which was one star which was " Me and my brother went to view the place, not knowing the place wasn't open for business yet ( their door was open etc ). We were told by one of the staff in an unpleasant way which I will not post to get lost. If that's the way they treat potential customers they will not last long." this was for a mini market.

Level 5

There are many ways in order not to abuse the system with anonymous mode.

1) Only after a specific level to be able to do it

2) Not getting credited with points on your account for the anonymous reviews

3) Limit of uses per day/month/week

There are options. I don't see any reason why not to apply it. Also reviews on the internet and the digital era have a big impact on people's lives that do the review.

Level 6

I agree that it is useful to give an option to do anonymous review. I also understand that there is concern that the credibility of the local guide review will be compromised due to an irresponsible review by anonymity or incorrect information. So it is necessary for anonymous review and information provision to be limited to local guides that have more than a certain level of local guide level.

The reason why anonymous review is necessary is because there are cases in which it is necessary to hide the fact that we went to a shop even if we wanted to add store information. You will understand that there are shops of such nature. Many people do not want others to know the facts they went to stores, but there are stores where many people are seeking information.

An example is a store where there is a possibility that a person who visited a store may be discriminated against by announcing a visit. In addition, it is a shop socially disdained. You will understand that there are stores with such properties. Store of this nature tend to be difficult to provide information and review. Despite the fact that the store is famous and there are many visitors. There is a remarkable tendency that stores of such nature actually lack information.

It is true that information on these stores is noticeably lacking. This has compromised the usefulness of the Google map. It will hurt the public interest. Please allow me to provide information on stores that I do not want to reveal visits.