Martin2's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Mysteriously moving markers

Does anyone else find markers moving about? One or two place markers I've created and corrected have moved back to ether old locations or new locations at some later date.

I think at level 4 I should have a box of screws to secure them in place.

Cheers, Martin

12 comments
Level 8

Re: Mysteriously moving markers

I can sadly confirm the box of screws has not been provided at level 5 either.

It's frustrating to see google fighting with itself and with the knowledgeable people who enable it to stay relevant.

It's not wise to alienate your expert contributors google. We might start thinking about bringing our valuable contributions where they're respected, like on openstreetmaps.org.

Level 7

I don't know the real reason,but I think it is happening when Google map updating new images 

Level 6

One marker, I've moved back to it's correct position 5 times now, anyone beat that? 🙂

Level 4

Hi Martin,

Nice to know that someone else experienced the same "mysteriously moving marker".  I am a new local guide, and I just noticed this magic mysterious phenomenon today.  As I checked two newly published additions, they magically moved far from the original marker.  I don't think any users moved them intentionally, because these additions have not appeared thru google map search (I tried searching them in my PC and Android).  The only way I can get to these additions was by clicking the links in my emails.

Any solution?

Cheers,

Jodi

Level 10

Hi All, hope all's well.

If a place's marker moves, something's likely wrong with the place's address or address marker. The two need to match for the place's marker to stay put.

If the place's marker and address marker are in different locations then the place's marker gravitates to the address marker.

Check the place's address and address marker are both correct.

To find the place's address marker, search for the address in Maps.

If there's something wrong, you can suggest an edit, as in:
Edit info about a place
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7084895

Usually that solves mysterious moving place markers. There could be something else going on, so ask back here or Google Maps forum if you can't solve it. Or search for Flash's posts about it. 😃

Thanks for helping improve Google Maps.

Kind regards from Osaka78

Level 5

@Osaka78forTRUMP what you say is true no doubt about that. I have no doubt wrong addresses do cause markers to move back to incorrect positions. However, I had a case where I had to move a marker for a second time to its proper place, even though the address was correct. If you enter just the address without the business name in Maps the marker shows in the proper position. Yet, the business moved back to a totally different street about half a mile away, and I had to move it to its proper place again. So there is some issue going on beyond the street addresses not being right. 

Level 10

Dear bcanote, hope all's well with you.

Not sure about that. You can ask Flash about it, if anyone knows, he will: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1816

Kind regards from Osaka78

Level 8

I have an issue with a train station that someone is moving the marker many times about three km away from the real location and they ( either a random Local guide) left a review on the wrong one. There isn't any address for the train station except the exact name of the village I edited correctly. This is confusing for all who check on Maps from their mobile on the go to plan the travel. The least I can tell about this violation from the unknown spammer. 

#BeKnownForWhatYouCreate
Level 10

@NinCo wrote:

I have an issue with a train station that someone is moving the marker many times about three km away from the real location and they ( either a random Local guide) left a review on the wrong one. There isn't any address for the train station except the exact name of the village I edited correctly. This is confusing for all who check on Maps from their mobile on the go to plan the travel. The least I can tell about this violation from the unknown spammer. 

My experience is it is more the system is rearranging points based on the address.. much like how your desktop icons will arrange themselves once a while. Think of the bright side.. another 5 points for you!