DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

My journey in the world of Google Maps !!!

Having moved to Bangalore for work, I tried to locate a mobile-service provider store and searched it in Google Maps. I drove to that exact location, only to find out it’s a residential apartment. I went around the place, but no one knows about the store I’m looking for.

Few days later I was running out of fuel in my car and searched for fuel station and went where maps took me. But alas, there was no fuel station at that place.

With a lot of frustration I came back home, took my mobile phone and searched these places once again. During this activity I found the option of ‘edit’ and I immediately corrected the location of the landmarks.

Thus began my incredible journey of contributing to Google Maps.

From my first contribution, to reaching Level 10 – the journey was a great learning experience. The sheer fact that a correct info on Maps, helps millions searching for it – is the driving force for my association with Google maps for the last 2 years.

What started as a hobby, is now a passion. Having spent hundreds of hours on Google Maps, I strongly believe contributing to Google Maps is the most productive way to spend time across online platforms.

DSC_4795.JPG

I was fortunate to interact with Googlers in Hyderabad for a focused group discussion and also for a video shoot about the historic importance of Hyderabad city. 

Google office @ HyderabadGoogle office @ Hyderabadvideo shoot on Hyderabadi biryanivideo shoot on Hyderabadi biryani

Interacting with other enthusiastic LG’s around the world has been a humbling experience. Be it attending LG Summit’17 or hosting Meet-up or attending meet-ups – I learnt that our LG community is filled with passionate volunteers who want to help the society through Google Maps. 

Daniel meets Daniel !!!Daniel meets Daniel !!!With Googlers after the focused discussionWith Googlers after the focused discussionPresenting ideasPresenting ideaswith other LG'swith other LG's

at LG Summit 17at LG Summit 17

I’ve learnt a lot from other LG’s who keep our community active. Here are few pics from the meet-up that I hosted and others from meet-ups I've attended.

Global Photo walk Feb'18Global Photo walk Feb'18Meet up at KachigudaMeet up at Kachigudaenthusiastic LG'senthusiastic LG'sHosted a meet-up in Oct'17Hosted a meet-up in Oct'17LG's who attended the meet-up I hostedLG's who attended the meet-up I hostedGroup pic at Landscape Gardens meet-upGroup pic at Landscape Gardens meet-up

Having benefited from the usage of Google maps in daily travel, I take it as a personal responsibility to spread awareness on how useful Google maps is, and how each of us should contribute to make it a dependable destination for our society.

I’m sure this journey of mine in the “world of Google maps” has many more miles to go !!!

Hyderabad, Telangana, India