NatalkaR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

My first solo road trip. USA. Day 2: Zion Canyon

14_1.jpgThis autumn was special for me. I was attendee of the best event ever – Connect Live 2018. And after it I went to my first solo road trip. I didn’t have enough time – only 4 days. But it was incredible 4 days! My first stop was amazing Valley of Fire. You can read about it there: Day 1

1_1.jpg

After beautiful Valley of fire I couldn’t decide where I need to go – to Bryce Canyon or Zion Canyon. And I found compromise – half of day I’ll spend in Zion Canyon and after I’ll go to Bryce Canyon. How naive was I...

6_1.jpg

Zion Canyon is part of the Zion National park. It’s so huge. If you want to see all canyon you need to have minimum 2 or 3 days. I came to Zion park at the morning. Entrance price for one car is 35 dollars. I didn’t pay nothing due to my amazing friends from Czech Republic – local guides Stana (@StanaS) and Lukas (@LukasKutilek). They gave me their annual pass to National parks. And enter was free for me!

17_1.jpg

9_1.jpg

Autumn is amazing time for visiting Zion Canyon - it’s not hot but warm, trees are so colorful, sky is clear… A small advice for visiting in Autumn: check weather before! And of course you should remember about darkness - it’s really dark at 6 p.m. You can walk as much as you like but you won't see nothing. And don’t forget about wild animals that live there - they walk every time but especially after sunset.

19_1.jpg

How you  can understand I stayed in Zion national park for all day - I didn’t have time to go to Bryce Canyon. The most difficult thing is choosing hiking trail. There are more 20 trails with different levels of difficulty. I decided: if I have only one day I’ll choose the most strenuous trail. I wanted to try Angels Landing, one of the world's most renowned hikes. But it was closed. This is why I chose Observation Point hike.

10_1.jpg

I ascended nearly 2,000 feet. Roundtrip is about 8 miles. I spent 2-3 hours in each directions.

5_1.jpg

Sometimes tracks were very narrow and I should wait skipping other people.

18_1.jpg

Echo Canyon is amazing place that you meet on your way.

Echo CanyonEcho CanyonEcho CanyonEcho CanyonEcho CanyonEcho Canyon

The top of Observation Point hike is on Mount Baldy. It’s very large plateau where you can see all amazing Zion canyon.

11_1.jpg

I met a horn sheep but he was very fast and I couldn’t make picture. But I found many cliff chipmunks who were my models!

Cliff chipmunkCliff chipmunkCliff chipmunkCliff chipmunk

On the top I met two guys from Austria and Taiwan. They are also solo travelers. We descended together. We spoke a lot and laughed a lot. Because of this we almost missed the last shuttle to the parking.

My new friendsMy new friends

A little bit of history about Zion National park: it’s very old. Nobody knows how many years this canyon has. Scientists found some formation that have 150 millions years. But in first time it was protected only in 1909 and was first declared a national monument. And in 1919 it became a national park. It was very nice place without any routes. Tourists couldn’t visit it. And for first time park was opened in 1930.   

16_1.jpg

Some advices for travelers:

• Coming early morning for hiking;
  • Taking a lot of water;
  • Don’t forget about sunscreen;
  • Hiking shoes is very necessary - stones are very slippery;
  • Wear comfortable clothes and bring some warm clothes (hoodie etc) - it’s cold after sunset.    

Zion National Park, Юта, США
33 comments
Level 10

Re: My first solo road trip. USA. Day 2: Zion Canyon

Wow @NatalkaR I was waiting for the 2nd part! Great photos and adventure!

Never been in Zion, but thanks to you reading was like being there 🙂

Thanks thanks!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @NatalkaR,

Thank you for sharing this awesome post! Reading it was breathtaking, I can't even imagine how great the feeling would be hiking there.

You must have had a whale of a time being there and as always best of things happen unplanned. Should you have chosen being there half a day, you wouldn't be able to enjoy the Observation Point hike, see the cute Cliff chipmunks and even meet two new great friends. That is what I love about solo trips, greatest of things happen in between your plans and surprise you even more!

I believe being a traveler in this world is the best of things one can choose and I also love following this way and model of living as much as I can. 

I just found something in common, usually when I hiked mountains in China I would always choose the hardest or longest trek as I also had 1 day time to visit there. I believe by doing so I can see and experience to the fullest a place and take the most of it.

Once again, thank you for the great post as well as your first day 1 My first solo road trip. USA. Day 1: Valley of Fire post. I can't wait to hear more from your stories and journey. Good luck on the road to discovering the world and ... yourself.

What do you think @FaridTDF, do you like hiking canyons?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

I was waiting for part 2 @NatalkaR and your images are so breathtaking! Those canyons look grand! It doesn't look too crowded with tourists which is great for taking pictures 🙂 What did you enjoy most here? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Well done dear @NatalkaR!

Your photos and reportage are amazing!

I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to take a walk as beautiful as yours!

However it is true, these canyons are truly a panacea for the soul!

Bye,

David

Google Moderator

Hey @NatalkaR,

A long waited post for me too. Once again thank you for sharing the lovely photos, the useful advice and the story behind your trip.

I admire your power and willingness to explore unknown places and the lack of fear that accompanies it.

I wonder which is the highest point in Zion Canyon. Do you have any idea how's it called and how high is it?

The highest point I have ever reached is Musala which is the highest peak not only in the Rila mountain but in the entire Balkan Peninsula. Its name means "near God" or "place of prayer".

We went there during the summer and for my horror there was still snow at the top. However, I managed to climb it successfully, took some photos and hurried back to the hot summer weather. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

wow... beautiful @NatalkaR

I'm waiting for the second part as well as the rest...

ehsang
Level 10

Hi @NatalkaR

Awesome post. Nice pictures. 

I saw some of them on your Instagram profile.

Priviet 😃

Joseph 

Nkwetche from #Douala #LetsGuide #Wakawaka #Cameroun
https://www.instagram.com/nkwetche/?hl=fr
Level 9

Hello dear @NatalkaR

I admire your willing to explore new places in the world!

It is great post!

Amazing photos,breathtaking view on mountains.

Thank you for interesting  story,useful tips.

Cheers,

Inga

Connect Moderator

Magnificent images @NatalkaR thanks for sharing your visit to Zion National Park.

Note that each Local Guide can only share 1,000 images to connect. You might like to share some of your images via an album.