NgindaNganga's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

My Usual Breakfast Choice in Nairobi

So I pass by a bridge on my way to work and I can not fail to buy these delicious potatoes to go and have later with some tea. The arrowroots are super delicious and very healthy as are the sweet potatoes( those in yellow) The sweet potatoes can either be yellow or white inside, sometimes even the other skin can be different.  It can be red or white on the other side.

IMG_5115.jpgThe arrowroots are grown on very wetlands.... mostly next to rivers or streams. I hope to share an image of them being harvested someday...It's all muddy!

@NgindaNganga
Ngara, Nairobi, Kenya
4 comments
Google Moderator

Re: My Usual Breakfast Choice in Nairobi

Hello @NgindaNganga,

Thank you for sharing your photo with the community. Is that you that we see on the picture?

How do you prepare your breakfast? You've mentioned that you like to eat the potatoes in the morning. Do you happen to make hash browns or something completely different?

P.S.: I will relabel your post to Food & Drink as it fits better there. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@MoniDi Hi, no that's not me... I buy from street vendors who prepare the potatoes early in the morning and the arrowroots. I have no idea what hash browns are but I love sweet potatoes...boiled sweet potatoes. The above images show boiled sweet potatoes and arrowroots.

If I'm not having oats, I'm definitely having sweet potatoes or arrowroots.

Nginda

@NgindaNganga
Former Google Contributor

Hey @NgindaNganga,

Thanks for sharing your breakfast with us! It looks delicious and wholesome! 

I've tried uji in Nairobi on a visit many years ago. I still remember that. 🙂 They added butter and sugar, it was so tasty. Do you like this type of porridge?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hey @NgindaNganga,

Now that you've mentioned, I love eating oats in the morning. I prefer it both savory and sweet but it depends on my mood every day. 

Hash browns are not difficult to make but they are time consuming. You have to shred the potatoes first and put them in cold water to wash them from the starch. After that you drain the potatoes and form them into small balls or rectangles. The next step is to fry them in a pan and eat - best part. 🙂

It is popular breakfast in Europe and the U.S. and goes well with sausages or bacon.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!