SunPanupong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

My Local Guides Journey (2018)

Hi everyone !

My name is Panupong Yokyongsakul or you can call me Sun. I’m from Bangkok, Thailand.

First time I get to know Local Guides Program is back to October 2015 when I was reading the news on internet and found out that this program is kind of interesting to me as I am a traveler frequently using Google Maps.

I have joined the Local Guides Program since November 2015, started contributing to Google Maps and reached Level 5 by the end of 2015. Two weeks later I received an exclusive Local Guides T-Shirt, delivered directly from overseas from Level 5 achievement. That’s an amazing gift.

Mid-April 2016, it was honored for Thai people to welcome Local Guides team from Singapore for “Discover Bangkok” the first OFFICIAL Local Guides event in Southeast Asia – really excited for me. I got an email from Yanni along with other Level 5 Local Guides to be a team leader for fellow Thai Local Guides. Such a fun event with a lot of activities. It was a great chance to get together with other Thai Local Guides. From there, Thailand & Bangkok Local Guides communities have been created and I have become a moderator for both communities.

With Yanni & Anton, Local Guides from Singapore in "Discover Bangkok" eventWith Yanni & Anton, Local Guides from Singapore in "Discover Bangkok" event

A month later, it was excited from the announcement that I was chosen to be one of 75 Local Guides Summit attendees. Visiting San Francisco for the first Local Guides Summit in 2016 was indeed a milestone in my life. During the Summit, I have learned a lot from activities, keynotes and workshop sessions along with friendship and priceless experience from the attendees. It was an excellent opportunity for me to connect with great people across the globe.

75 Local Guides from 37 Countries, 6 Continents along with 1 Google Team fulfill my expectation of this trip as one of the best journeys in my life.75 Local Guides from 37 Countries, 6 Continents along with 1 Google Team fulfill my expectation of this trip as one of the best journeys in my life.

When I came back, I hosted a meet-up for my fellow Local Guides, sharing my experiences and what I have learned from the summit. In addition, I wrote some articles about the #LGSummit16 on my blog and “PANTIP” Thai’s famous online sharing community as well.

Its purpose is to introduce the Local Guides Program to Thai people who are interested as well as attracted a lot more people to join the communities. I always bring my Local Guides Slide Pack whenever I have a time to talk about this Program.

Sharing experience from #LGSummit16Sharing experience from #LGSummit16

Throughout 2017, it was the year of traveling for me - a lot of trips both domestic and overseas.

Local Guides - 006.jpg 

Meet-up with Bangkok/Thailand Local Guides in Map Your World Week eventMeet-up with Bangkok/Thailand Local Guides in Map Your World Week event

Food Crawl Walking tour with Ianju Chant, Local Guide from Taipei and other peopleFood Crawl Walking tour with Ianju Chant, Local Guide from Taipei and other people

Meet-up with Ayaka Ohkawa, Local Guides from Tokyo and her friendsMeet-up with Ayaka Ohkawa, Local Guides from Tokyo and her friends

Meet-up with Anna, Christina and their team during the trip to Tokyo. It was privileged for me to visit Google Japan Office, thank you both for this once-in-a-lifetime experience!Meet-up with Anna, Christina and their team during the trip to Tokyo. It was privileged for me to visit Google Japan Office, thank you both for this once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Local Guides Summit 2017 with other 150 attendees from 62 countriesLocal Guides Summit 2017 with other 150 attendees from 62 countries

Qualifying to be one of 150 attendees around the world in #LGSummit17 is another milestone in my life. It was my pleasure to be selected again alongside the other two representatives from Thailand (Khun Sutheera and Joseph). 2.5 days in SF had gone so fast with full load of activities and a lot of people to engage during the summit. It was great to expose new attendees, Googlers and some #LGSummit16 friends again.

LGOG Alumni from #LGSummit16LGOG Alumni from #LGSummit16

By the way, before the #LGSummit17, Local Guides Team had a visit to Bangkok once again for “Eat Like A Local” campaign. They came here to arrange a mini Food Photography workshop cooperated with BKKMenu Thailand’s famous food blog. From this, we have learned a lot about how to prepare dishes for photo-shooting, how to set my own camera, etc.

“Eat Like A Local” Food Photography Workshop @ Mother May I Kitchen“Eat Like A Local” Food Photography Workshop @ Mother May I Kitchen

Recently in January 2018,  I just arranged a meet-up with Local Guides in Thailand to share what I have learned from #LGSummit17 as well as allow the fellow Local Guides to share feedback and what they would like to see in Google Maps in the future. More details, click here

Bangkok/Thailand Local Guides Feedback Session @ The Burrow, Rabbit Digital GroupBangkok/Thailand Local Guides Feedback Session @ The Burrow, Rabbit Digital Group

I would say Google Maps along with Local Guides around the world are key success factors to develop global geographic information much better and promote local businesses. Along with Local Guides Connect, this is a great platform that allows passionate explorers/local guides in communities to connect with each other. 😊

Thank you and hope to see you all in October !

Sun

10 comments
Level 10

Re: My Local Guides Journey (2018)

Great to know that you are the active member of local guide program from the beginning and participate in first summit. Thanks for sharing the info.

Wish you all the best for connect live! 😃

Level 7

Hey @SunPanupong,

That was a refreshing article about your journey as a local guide. Thanks for sharing

Best,

Avinash

Level 10

Connect Moderator

What a great local guide journey. Great to know about you @SunPanupong

Thanks for sharing with us.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

@SunPanupong Sawaadeekraap Khun Sun! Such a wonderful write up! Hope we will meet again in SF, otherwise definitely in Bangkok. All the best for you application. 😊

Level 10

Level 10

Wow!! @SunPanupong such a beautiful post and amazing video with lots of pictures and incredible moments. Best of luck!! for Connect Live 2018