AslamMo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

My Journey with Local Guides!

I am a foodie and a traveler. I enjoy cooking and eating Mexican fajitas to Japanese sushi and everything in between. At GoogleplexAt Googleplex

My love for travel has taken me to many countries in Asia, Europe and Americas.Golden Gate BridgeGolden Gate Bridge

I traveled more in Spain than in any country and learned Spanish there, then lived in London, United kingdom where I studied for my MBA and enjoyed meeting people from every nook and corner of the world (no wonder I have read 50k+ messages on local guides connect, mostly LG's introductions).  

Google maps has been a reliable friend during my travels and with Local guides, I have the opportunity to give something back, I love doing it by putting small and medium businesses literally on maps. My focus has been on Arts and culture and was honored to receive the below email from Local Guides:  Screenshot_2018-04-14-13-43-56~2.png

By living in the west, I realised how important it is for local businesses to develop their digital footprint, especially when india is going through an digital revolution with usage of smart phones next only to China.   Being a local guide has allowed me to help small businesses like putting the local cobbler in my area on google maps who has been sitting and doing his excellent work for many decades and has only hand painted the signage on his small shed which he calls his workshop, when I told him that it is important now a days to have a presence on maps so that people will know about his quality work, he just nodded. Now when I see him, he tells me the the instances of new customers telling him that they found his shop on google maps, his eyed light up!

Experiences like these motivate me to continue being a local guide and I just love to meet like minded local guides on connect.  

My contribution to maps has earned me 37000+ points and my 4000+ photos have accumulated over 9+ million views.

I want to share my discoveries, local favourites, hidden gems and put small businesses on maps which will give them much needed exposure to survive and thrive in this fast changing digital world. I want visitors to my city enjoy traveling as a local, and know the best places to visit and to be able to make informed choices before they visit any restaurant, shop etc. It is after all, all of us want to do, and all the information on maps doesn't come by itself, someone and all of us have to contribute to make it better for everyone!

I am one of the most active local guides on connect, earning me 34 badges by posting over 650+ messages and getting over 2500+ kudos for it.Screenshot_2018-04-14-14-19-27~2.png

Screenshot_2018-04-14-14-19-09~2.png

I love interacting with local guides from around the world and made friends with many of them.    

Summit attendees visiting Google San Francisco office!Summit attendees visiting Google San Francisco office!

After reaching level 8, my goal has been to mentor other local guides in improving maps and shading ideas and knowledge to grow the community here in Hyderabad as there is a lot to be done to make information more relevant and timely For which  have created a group on one of  India's favourite social media App 'whatsapp' to connect with Local guides from Hyderabad. Most active local guides in India :)Most active local guides in India 🙂Screenshot_2018-04-14-13-29-24~2.png

Screenshot_2018-04-14-13-29-24~2.png

Hosted multiple meet ups themed around Geo walk, Photo walk, Food crawl and Map editing in Hyderabad. Nehru Park  Geo  walkNehru Park Geo walk

Inorbit mall Map editing meet-upInorbit mall Map editing meet-up

Ramadan food crawlRamadan food crawl

Haleem @ Shah GhouseHaleem @ Shah Ghouse

LGSummit17 brainstorm meet-upLGSummit17 brainstorm meet-up

Got the opportunity to attend study group in Hyderabad and meet @YanniY @BellaWi @AradhanaB

Screenshot_2018-04-14-13-06-41~2.png

Screenshot_2018-04-14-13-07-36~2.png

Also got the opportunity to be part of local guides videos on YouTube:  

Where to eat Biryani in Hyderabad  https://youtu.be/sJ4nq4elcPQ  

Shopping for Biryani  ingredients for Hyderabadi Biryani  https://youtu.be/LvaOmUoREK0

Pet adoption at SF SPCA https://youtu.be/2oaxoOMi8KM  

Featured in article titled 'Putting Biryani on map' https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/Putting-Hyderabad-s-famous-biryani-on-the-Map/ba-...

With my contribution to maps and my interaction with local guides from around the world on connect, I see more opportunity of growth and improvement of maps and Local guides Connect live will provide that perfect opportunity for us volunteer local guides to meet with the leadership and brainstorm and share ideas to chalk out way ahead, congratulate one another for our achievements, and most importantly see each other in person.Sharing ideas with #LGSummit17 attendeesSharing ideas with #LGSummit17 attendees

Presenting ideas to improve meet-ups @ LGSummit17Presenting ideas to improve meet-ups @ LGSummit17

@HelloJess was an amazing moderator for that session    With TraciWith Traci
@TraciC was one of the most energetic and gracious host managing the summit.

Local guides Connect live 2018 will showcase our growing movement and my expectation is that it will bring up ideas to take maps to the next level, by making it more interactive.

Hyderabad, Telangana, India
47 comments
Level 10

Re: My Journey with Local Guides!

@AslamMo It was certainly a pleasure meeting you in LG Summit 17. Hope we will meet again soon, in Hyderabad!

The video featuring yourself, Arati, Naren, Daniel and Lenin is amazing.. 

Level 9

@AslamMo what a wonderful post bro 🙂
wish you best of luck for your connect live application.

Level 10

Level 10

Hi @AslamMo,

Thanks for this great post.

As we can see your journey with local guides is active!

Congratulations and all the best for the event.

Jul

Level 10

@AslamMo Nice to see you again :). Nice post on your contributions. Good Luck!!!

Level 9

Nice post bro. Best of luck .

@AslamMo

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

@AslamMo wonderful post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like it very much!!!!! 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @AslamMo,

That's an awesome summary of your life as a Local Guide. It's so amazing to see the numerous activities you've been part of and the great people you've met. I wish you lots and lots more adventures and happy connections in the years to come!

See you!

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

That was wonderful post @AslamMo, You are a gem for the LocalGuides Family.

I wish you all the very best for LocalGuidesConnectLive Event, and I hope you will make most out of it.