DrShaunak's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

My Journey With Local Guides

Hello Local Guides, My name is Shaunak Das and I am from West Bengal, India. I was born and grew up in Serampore, a small town in West Bengal. I started contributing to online maps around 2004 when there was a platform named Wikimapia and I remember I used this platform to map my local areas. When Google maps was launched I started working with it because it was better than other similar platforms.

I joined Local Guides since it's beginning in 2015. Within a few days I felt something special in this program and I loved contributing to maps. It feels great when I write review of a place and upload a photograph. My uploaded photo views have crossed 14.6 million now.

I studied at Nandalal Institution from 1994 to 2002. I am proud of my school. I have many childhood memories there. I miss my school friends and teachers and I am happy to share my school’s 360 photos with everyone via Google maps.

I am a doctor by profession. As a doctor I know how important it is for someone to access a doctor in an emergency situation. So I started contributing emergency medical information of my locality on Google maps such as doctors offices, hospitals, blood bank, clinics and also corrected wrong information about them. Thank you Google for featuring me on Local Guides Hero seriesIt’s awesome to work with your video team members during the shooting of ‘Join the Movement to map India’s Hospitals' campaign at streets of Calcutta.

My passion is travelling to new places and I love to take photos wherever I go. There are many tourist spots in Kolkata like Alipore zoo, Eden Gardens (I love watching Cricket), Victoria Memorial, Millennium Park, Prinsep Ghat, Floating Market, Seven Wonder Park etc, and I love to take photos of those. Apart from these, I added/corrected many local listings such as petrol station, coffee soaps, ATM, restaurants, etc.

Last year two local guides from Sri Lanka and a team of Bangladesh Local guides visited our city Kolkata. I was happy to meet them in person and we shared our experience of being Local Guides. During my family vacation to Puri, Orissa last year I met the owner of Orissa Local Guides. It was an awesome experience to have a chat with him in front of Puri sea beach. Also last year after LGSummit17 I met summit attendees Julien of Singapore and Bangladesh Local guide Mahabub at our city. We had such a great time together.

It was my privilege to attend LGSummit16 & LGSummit17. I met Local Guides from different countries (37 countries in 2016 & 62 countries in 2017) and Googlers. After coming from the summit I met many people, attended meet ups in my community. Travelling around the city of San Francisco is a memorable tour for me and such city is perfect venue for events like Local guides summit.

Me with local Guides from USA, Sri Lanka and Canada during LGSummit16Me with local Guides from USA, Sri Lanka and Canada during LGSummit16With Gus Moreira , Program Manager Google Maps during LGSummit17With Gus Moreira , Program Manager Google Maps during LGSummit17Here in West Bengal, three leading Bengali newspapers Anandabazar Patrika, Bartaman and Ebela published my experience and journey with Local Guides. In January a popular Indian news channel ETv Bangla aired my live interview where I discussed about Local Guides program. Last week Digit, the largest selling technology magazine in India published my story too.

Everyday I use Google maps to know the live traffic of my city and thanks to Google for providing free wifi at Howrah railway Station.

I must say Local Guides family is simply awesome and I am sure more people will join this program every day and help make Google maps beautiful than ever.

I made Local Guides logo using Pumpkin, Gourd &  kitchen knifeI made Local Guides logo using Pumpkin, Gourd & kitchen knife

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Serampore, West Bengal, India
37 comments
Level 10

Re: My Journey With Local Guides

Now that was quite thorough and concise, @DrShaunak, thanks for setting up a standard (unfortunately not every "introduction pots" have met so far).

Level 8

Hii @DrShaunak

Thanks for sharing your Journey details as a Local Guide

It's a wonderful Journey.

I am also from India.

Level 10

Thank you for your introduction @DrShaunak i already know about you from the last year! 🙂

Hope to meet you!

Level 10

All the best

Level 8

Great...Nice to see you..

Level 9

Thank you my friends @Csaba @HareesS @LucioV @Umashankar @WaweruM `

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Level 9

Thank you for your introduction @DrShaunakD, also thank you for linking one of our meet-up post 🙂

Level 10

You are welcomed

Level 10

Good luck