Aа's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3
Level 3

Most of my changes get automatically rejected. Even though I enter the correct, and verified data.

So I visit my hometown quite often, and I know the local businesses. I visit them fairly often.

Plenty of them had missing or wrong opening hours, wrong website, incorrect phone number, and so on.

I have corrected all of these mistakes carefully - triple checking each.

Now I checked a business that I corrected a week ago, and I saw on my phone that it has the wrong hours again.

So I checked my "contributions page", and behold: 50-70% get "Not Applied". Basically auto-rejected.

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/ (the Edits section)

Is there an official word about this?

My edits got hand reviewed - some of them - and all of them got approved.

So why do the system keep rejecting my changes?

What can we do, to get accepted?
Or is the whole project doomed from the beginning and people should just stop caring about it?

27 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 5
Solution

Re: Most of my changes get automatically rejected. Even though I enter the correct, and verified dat

Hi Aa,

I have encountered this update of correct new info problem and sometimes even with an initial listing of a prominent new business.I get the impression based on the limited feedback I get from Google that they have not mapped the area completely.This response usually dumfounds me because the new business is as big as a football field and has already been reviewed numerous times on Yelp.There also seems to some conflicting views by Google on the correct common name for a business which I find hard to fathom.I guess Google is a very large business with pre-determined criteria for what should be so.I usually just keep posting edit after edit until eventually one of us gives up...Google or me.......and I am a very persistent person.Yes denied in the edit column is very frustrating.Keep on Googling!

Cheers,

Zed Star.       

View solution in original post

Level 3
Level 3

Re: Most of my changes get automatically rejected. Even though I enter the correct, and verified dat

I have submitted a second modification request, again, got auto rejected.
I am clueless.

Level 5
Solution

Hi Aa,

I have encountered this update of correct new info problem and sometimes even with an initial listing of a prominent new business.I get the impression based on the limited feedback I get from Google that they have not mapped the area completely.This response usually dumfounds me because the new business is as big as a football field and has already been reviewed numerous times on Yelp.There also seems to some conflicting views by Google on the correct common name for a business which I find hard to fathom.I guess Google is a very large business with pre-determined criteria for what should be so.I usually just keep posting edit after edit until eventually one of us gives up...Google or me.......and I am a very persistent person.Yes denied in the edit column is very frustrating.Keep on Googling!

Cheers,

Zed Star.       

Level 3
Level 3

Haha, so basically the solution is to spam edit one way or another until you win.

Thanks!

Now my edit went into Review, once I only edited the opening hours.

I will edit something else once that gets approved.

Google should step up it's game. Local Guides is a good program.

I think human review should be added randomly, and people should have a hidden score.

If said individual is posting correct edits, he/she should get more "trust" from the system. (i.e.: less auto rejects).

Level 8

@Aа,

I suggest you to post at Mapmaker forum, to ask why your edits are mainly auto-rejected.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Aа There are many reasons why an edit may be rejected and the system doesn't always get it right. We do actually have a trust score for each person. A low trust score is typically what results in lots of auto-denials (and no, I can't see nor tell you your trust score). 

We are actively working on improving the approval/deny process with map edits and how we can better empower our Local Guides. 

Level 3
Level 3

Wow, thank you guys for chiming in. No problem, I didn't want to know, just wondered why it gets rejected.

@YK1001 Thank you for the tip! Though it seems that will be unnecessary. Looks like I will just have to keep editing and wait until the score goes up, or Skynet gets better.

Thanks everyone!

Level 6

@YK1001 wrote:

@Aа,

I suggest you to post at Mapmaker forum, to ask why your edits are mainly auto-rejected.

Map Maker and its forum is going away soon, right? We are supposed to be using these forums instead, right? Because I have a few that I am asking about. My edits were denied by an anonymous beginner. I don't understand why they are trusted more than me. I have already posted a question here about that, I hope that is what I am supposed to do. Now if I am wrong and we are supposed to be continuing to use the Map Maker forum then I think Google is misleading us in some instructions I saw elsewhere.

Level 2

Very frustrating.

I entered my very first place on maps yesterday, and I double checked phone number, and hours, yet the information didn't take right. It moved my 6 am - 9pm monday thru saturday to 7 am - 9pm 7 days a week, and totally ignored the phone number. Went into edit the business and it still wouldn't take that information correctly, but after this I stopped getting replies saying that my edits were being applied (ie ran out of trust).

Very frustrating, and particularly frustrating to an OCD kind of person, like myself.

Level 5

Hi chucko,

I used to have a few problems like what you are experiencing when I first joined Local Guides a few months back.I tend to add every new business I can find and also submit edits for anything that needs to be added or corrected for an existing business.My downfall was adding too much new information all at once......the dude at the other end must have been having a meltdown.I would get a lot of not applied or pending and sometimes denied.These days I seem to have everything approved and applied immediately.......it might have something to do with me sitting on 3240 points with 1,376 reviews,8,339 added photos and 30,225,042 views but not totally I decided.I went back into my submitted edits that were still pending or not applied...some were a few weeks old.I was able to remember what info needed to be added but this time I submitted only one new piece of info at a time...bingo!!! ....they all came back approved and published straight away.So my advice is don't try to do too much in one big edit.....chip away with one piece of info at a time......add the phone number.....get approved......add the hours....get approved and so on.It sounds like a lot of unnecessary work but if you get the results I now do then it will be worth it.Adding photos first of a new business listing seems to add a lot of credibility.Best of luck mate.

May the Google be with you.

Cheers,

Zed star.