TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

[Meet-up Recap] Accessible Brooklyn

Photo Caption: A multi-colored Christmas ornament display inside a shop.Photo Caption: A multi-colored Christmas ornament display inside a shop.

This past Saturday, December 1st, I participated in @EmekaUlor's Worldwide Accessibility Walk effort. I organized a meet-up in a neighborhood I love and know very well, Park Slope, Brooklyn. I picked this location as I knew it would have interesting scenery and opportunities to add accessibility information and also, as my rule for all meet-ups I organize, not too far from my home as I know I prefer not to commute on the weekends. Another one of my "rules" for meet-ups is to do something I want to do, so if no one else comes, it's amazing! Luckily, I was joined by my brother and my friend/former co-worker as they both love accessibility, too. 

Photo Caption: A "groupie" of Traci, Victor and Ana outside a shop window.Photo Caption: A "groupie" of Traci, Victor and Ana outside a shop window.

I planned a pretty straightforward route for the walk starting at one end of Seventh Avenue and ending at the other. I knew we'd see a wide variety of businesses and a mix of accessible and inaccessible places as this street is in a historic district and some places haven't caught up yet. 

Some things I noticed:

• I've been going to Smiling Pizzeria for 30+ years and just confirmed that they have an accessible entrance as the one I usually enter through is not at all AND they have high chairs. Hooray, Smiling Pizzeria!
    • John Jay High School which is now known as a number of smaller schools (like this one) is very old, but they have a fully-accessible entrance.
    • Newer, popular "chains" like Blue Bottle Coffee are not only wheelchair-accessible in every respect, but they also have high chairs. Kudos!
    • We discovered a new business with only three reviews which was TINY and so not accessible called Brigid's Well. I have no doubt, however, that the store would bring items out for display as the salesperson was so friendly.
    • Purity Diner, which is a Park Slope staple, relocated a few years ago to a new location and while on first glance, the entrance isn't accessible, they do have a side entrance, which is great! The bummer was that a stroller was blocking the entrance. I understand using space if it's free but it doesn't feel very welcoming when you have to ask someone to move something. See my photos: Photo Caption: A man carrying his child and stroller into the entrance of Purity Diner.Photo Caption: A man carrying his child and stroller into the entrance of Purity Diner.

Photo Caption: An accessible side entrance with a stroller inside blocking the door.Photo Caption: An accessible side entrance with a stroller inside blocking the door.

All in all, it was a fun stroll to see so many businesses and I admit, I got a few things for myself and for Christmas preparations at places like Artesana Home and Barnes & Noble, but didn't waver from looking for accessibility information at any point. 

I was able to edit older reviews of mine for places I already love and know well to add accessibility information, like our starting place, Smiling Pizzeria. I got to explain about accessibility to my brother and friend and we had a lovely time. Now, to finish adding all information to Google Maps! 🙂 

Photo Caption: An accessible entrance to a gift shop.Photo Caption: An accessible entrance to a gift shop.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA
22 comments
Level 9

Re: [Meet-up Recap] Accessible Brooklyn

Inspiring post @TraciC nice recap thank you for sharing with us...

Level 10

Congratulations for your meet-up @TraciC

It is always a good thing to check the accessibility and above all to make it present to the owners!

Bye,

David

PS: I added "your" Smiling Pizzeria to my list ! 🙂

Level 8

Hello @TraciC

Wow 🙂  Congratulations for your meet-up, Thanks For Shearing.

Level 8

Thank you @TraciC. It was a wonderful day and  I will definitely come back to Smiling Pizzeria and Blue Bottle Coffee.brooklyn.jpg

Googler

@AnaCris You caught fun pictures, thanks for sharing those and I'll gladly go back with you any time!!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

@TraciC Thanks for this RECAP about Accessibility on your own style! We have so many things to learn from your Meet Up. Hope one day we will get a chance to meet you directly.

Happy Guiding! 

Connect Moderator

Excellent meet-up and recap @TraciC - really loved reading the details of your accessibility meet-up. Your brother is so awesome!

I share the same thoughts with you on finding out those accessible details for places we frequent that we may not have thought about before - it really is eye opening. 

Brigid's Well really does look so tiny but the photos you've added show great detail and I'm also sure they wouldn't mind taking an extra step to help those who may need it. 

Unfortunate situation in regards to the stroller - I also would feel weird having to ask someone to move it in order to allow a pass through. I also noticed on my walk that some mothers had to lift their strollers to get into non-accessible ramps. 

Thanks for sharing!😊

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

Wow Ma'am @TraciC It is a great recap that you are giving here a great description with details information that you have seen.  I just love it.  You are really inspiring and increasing our spirit of activities. In short, it is a good detailed description. Thanks for sharing this recap with us. 

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 10

wow Excellent. We are planing Bangladesh 4-5 city arrange this 3 week long program already 1000 Sticker we print  December 7-31  camping about this awareness .  set sticker and photo walk same time  , Our Meetup Let's Make Roads Easy For Everyone  hope you like this  @TraciC

Mahabub Hasan