RomeNicolas's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Meet the Women Local Guides in Cebu, Philippines

cebuanas.png

Here in Cebu, I am lucky to be surrounded by active Local Guides in the community. Our small metropolis is located at the center of the Philippine islands and technology is empowering communities and people here. As Filipinos, we have always been actively engaging and empowering the digital world with our experiences and discoveries. 

Last March, since the Philippines celebrated Women's Month, I asked several women in our community to share their experiences. I was inspired by 2018 IWD: Meet Lagos Local Guides Women post by SanyaOdare. While I may have posted this a little late, allow me to share with you the active, engaged, and empowered women who are helping us improve Google Maps. I am proud of these Cebuanas for spending their time in making sure that the information in our city is correct and updated. 

Without a further ado, here are the faces of the women in Local Guides Cebu community:

Rea Alducente

What I love about being a Local Guide... I'm a very frequent Google user, and Google has been very helpful when I research about anything. I love being a Local Guide because it allows me to give back to the community by helping other people find relevant and credible information about different places. 

My favorite thing to explore... I love exploring quaint corners and places, or those places that have an interesting history. I'm also drawn to places that have colors! 
Fun Fact about me... I don't drink coffee and I cry when I'm very hungry. 

Margaux Camaya

What I love about being a Local Guide... the connection that you can have with other people; whether through your pictures, the reviews that you write or even by simply answering questions coming from other Google map enthusiasts or users.
My favorite thing to explore... are places that have historical and cultural significance. And of course, food places. 
Fun Fact about me... I'm a Funko Pop Figurine Collector. I have more than 60 pops. 

Catherine Pepino 

What I love about being a Local Guide... I love to discover places, the history and like what Rea said you are able to share tips on going to a place, what you can expect in a place. 

My favorite thing to explore... anything that peaks my interest may it be a historical spot, a new restaurant, mall or hotel, and events that you can do outdoors

Fun Fact about me... I love taking pictures of places and I like to travel and discover places, language, food and other stuff. 

Jeane Louise Mainit

What I love about being a Local Guide... There are things that only a LUMAD can explain and show. This is why I love being a Local Guide. I am able to show the culture, history and culinary heritage of Cebu in a manner that only locals can understand. I am also able to show the shortcuts and the roads less traveled and get them engaged in a learning experience. I have created my own Heritage Trail which I give to deserving guests and retell the stories attached to these areas. I am an avid lady mountaineer and I have been into the worst cases outdoors. It helps to know your own self when you are outdoors and at the mercy of Mother Nature. 

My favorite thing to explore... When in the city, I explore the museums, old houses [heritage houses] and the churches. I am also an outdoor enthusiast who explores islands and mountains and every terrain but not so much on vertical heights and caves. I am also an avid Foodie and though I have aversion/allergic reaction to vegetables, I still push myself to eat it sometimes. I am into mobile and camera photography as well.

Fun Fact about me... I cannot SWIM! But I can SCUBA DIVE. 🙂 Hehehehe. I learned how to snorkel at age 27 at scuba dived as well. I can do abstract painting as well [oil pastels and sometimes watercolor. but for some reason never on oil and acrylic.

Dannea Moneva

What I love about being a Local Guide... sharing reviews and photos of places within the Google Maps ecosystem is a great way to help each other make informed decisions no matter if we are sightseeing, shopping, looking for food places, etc. It's just helpful to people and that makes it worth the time

My favorite thing to explore... cultural/historical spots, nature spots, night markets

Fun Fact about me... I love anime and think about fantasy stuff almost every day! Since I cannot explore magical realms in real life, I make sure to travel this world as much as I can. Turns out there are a lot of magic on our earth, too!

Jhanis Villadolid 

What I love about being a Local Guide... I get to share our experiences with people and I hope that the reviews that I posted will be useful to them somehow.
My favorite thing to explore... kid-friendly places and adventures. Places that offer a fun learning experience for the family.
Fun Fact about me... I love musicals and I play the Kulintang!

After talking to them, I realized that we have actually powerful women in the community. If more people will understand the importance of Local Guides and correct information on Google Maps, I'm sure that we can build a better digital guide of the world we live in.

This 2018, we might work together with these women in hosting events for the community. For now, please join me in celebrating their femininity! 

Filipino Local Guide from Cebu, Philippines | Local Guides Cebu | Yes, I love Google products!
Cebu, Philippines
9 comments
Level 7

Re: Meet the Women Local Guides in Cebu, Philippines

Oh wow @RomeNicolas these are gracious women, Quite an interesting and entertaining read. I find it particularly interesting and funny that Jeane Louise can't swim, but can scuba dive! Lol. Nice meeting these amazing Cebuanas. Thanks for sharing. 

James Edeani - Lagos Local Guide
Level 8

Hi! I'm also from Cebu. 

Do you do meet-ups?

Level 8

Yes, we have upcoming Local Guides meetup. Check our Facebook group for updates.

Rome

Filipino Local Guide from Cebu, Philippines | Local Guides Cebu | Yes, I love Google products!
Level 8

Good list Rome

Level 4

Thanks for the shoutout, Rome! It's great to share useful information to others. You actually are one of the people who encouraged me to continue being a local guide! 💕

Level 9

Nice meeting the beautiful ladies from Philippines.

I find Rea's fun fact hilarious; crying when hungry.😂😂😂

Nigeria  
Connect Moderator

@HANEN_

@RashmiM

you have already seen?

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 9

@RomeNicolas

Wow this is really amazing and a great way to introduce yourselves. Liked the way you have presented it:)

Level 6

Hi, 

I am planning to visit Cebu in 14th of Jan 2019, looking to see the whale shark and do some diving in ABO

Any other ideas where and how to spend the time there, I guess my vacation is about 10 days

any recommended travel agency that can help in coordinating the trip and transportation.