brittym's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet the Connect Live attendees making the map more accessible

Caption: A group photo of Local Guide attendees and Googlers taken after they participated in an accessibility breakout session during Connect Live 2018.Caption: A group photo of Local Guide attendees and Googlers taken after they participated in an accessibility breakout session during Connect Live 2018.Last year, we launched a campaign asking Local Guides like you to add accessibility details about places on the map. Thanks to your contributions, more than 40 million places on Google Maps now have accessibility information—and this is just the beginning!

At Connect Live 2018, Googlers Sasha Blair-Goldensohn, a software engineer on the Local Guides team, and Kyndra LoCoco, an accessibility partner and community programs manager, invited attendees to share their tips on how we can make the map more inclusive for all.

Over on The Keyword (Google’s official blog!), Sasha and Kyndra revealed some of the things they learned about accessibility during the event. They spotlighted amazing contributions and ideas from Local Guides Illankovan Thushyantha (@IlankovanT), Emeka Ulor (@EmekaUlor), and Paul Gerarts (@Pauleke). 

Check out the full blog post to find out more about their commitment to accessibility, and if you have an idea for making the map more inclusive, share it in the comments below!  

19 comments
Level 9

Re: Meet the Connect Live attendees making the map more accessible

Thank you @brittym for this outstanding post and full blog post!

It is great that these Local Guides made the great contribution on Google Maps.

Their contribution is a good example for every Local Guide, it gives us huge inspiration.

We can proud these Connect Live attendees!

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this great post with us! @brittym

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator

@brittym Its a good news about accessibility and our Local heros who are well known for accessibility guides on Maps. @Kamalhasnainee Glad to see you there. @ 

Happy Guiding" 

Level 9

Great post @brittym

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 10

Rif.: Meet the Connect Live attendees making the map more accessible

Thank you @brittym for sharing! I met Sasha in person and I admired his dedication to make this world more accessible to everyone ! And thanks to all the Local Guides who do their best every day to contribute to this!

Bye,

David

Level 9

Thank you @brittym. accessibility is something we all might be concerned of, which also reveals the respect we give to our fellow human beings and to help them navigate with less hassle while encouraging others to do the same. Let's all join hands to create "A better world for wheels on Google maps" 🙂

Level 9

@brittym thanks so much!! accessibility is so important! 

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile
Level 10

Connect Moderator

@brittym Had the opportunity to attend this session on the second day and was blown away. Although I hadn't selected this session, it proved to be a worthwhile one and really got many of us thinking about how to contribute to accessibility and how this can be improved for users of Maps. Accessibility, as we learned, is much more than what may be directly apparent just through initial observations, and we all must be conscious of that. 

P.S. It was such a pleasure meeting Sasha Blair-Goldensohn - a great guy!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall