Atsukot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet a Connect Moderator: Stephen

Connect Moderators are Local Guides just like you and me. They apply the knowledge they’ve gained as active members of our community to moderate Connect and help improve the experience for everyone. You may see them welcoming newcomers, explaining the program, answering questions, and sharing their knowledge with others.

Each month, we share some personal insights from one of our amazing Connect Moderators. This month, meet @StephenAbraham. Stephen lives in Malaysia and speaks many Asian languages such as Malay, Chinese, Malayalam, Tamil, and Bahasa Indonesia. Stephen enjoys helping other Local Guides and meeting new friends on Connect.

Caption: A photo of Stephen at Local Guides Summit 2017 sitting in a chair outside of Googleplex in Mountain View, CA.Caption: A photo of Stephen at Local Guides Summit 2017 sitting in a chair outside of Googleplex in Mountain View, CA.

Name: Stephen Abraham

What I love about being a Local Guide: I feel happy when I can find accurate information, read informative reviews, and navigate using Google Maps. Being a Local Guide is a way for me to contribute back to the platform and others collectively. I hugely support crowdsourcing public information. My greatest reward for being a Local Guide is to continually meet wonderful people  around the world who I feel like are my family and friends for life.

Why I'm a Connect Moderator: As more and more contributors take part in this wonderful program, it has been a privilege for me to help anyone along the way. I spend a lot of time on Connect reading posts, and I try to help to make Connect a conducive place for all members to interact. I feel happy when I can provide solutions to questions or point users in the right direction if I am unable to help directly. I try my best to encourage contributors to share information, experiences, and photos on Connect, so it becomes a great place to learn about different location, cultures, celebration, food, and most importantly, meet new friends.

My favorite things to explore: In my free time, I like to pack a light backpack and travel some place far and remote. I love fresh air, wide open spaces, historical places, and places where close friends are. I appreciate wonderful flavors and aromatic spices. I love local ethnic food and am willing to try all kinds of food. I love local food markets where lots of varieties of fresh produce are sold. Just so amazing seeing all the fresh colors of fruits, vegetables, seafood, meat, etc.

My favorite type of contribution(s) to make on Google Maps: I usually try my best to write thorough and informative reviews, post relevant and useful photos, and editing Maps information. If I had to pick one favorite, then definitely uploading and sharing delicious food photos. My focus this upcoming year will be to showcase small local businesses, to help promote and sustain them.

Languages I read/write/speak fluently: English, Bahasa Malaysia (Malay), Chinese Mandarin and Cantonese, Malayalam, Tamil, and Bahasa Indonesia.

Places I'd like to visit: So many places! One in mind will be to backpack through small towns in Japan, experiencing the slower local life and culture (after I learn the basics of the local language, that is). It would be amazing to spend time amongst native farmers or fisherman and be a part of their daily life in nature, eating the natural produce of the land. And also definitely see visit and see the whole of India and China.

Fun fact about me: I love to visit places and shoot 360 videos along the way. It is such a compelling platform to showcase locations and destinations when viewed on a big screen or a VR headset. I am always excited to read about new developments in the consumer VR and AR space. The other thing is, I'm generally a quiet person and possibly slow to warm up to new friendships, but I am always keen to know everyone as much as I can, so do be patient with me.

Caption: A photo of Stephen with his Local Guides friends: Alam, Rahul, and Deep at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco during Local Guides Summit 2017.Caption: A photo of Stephen with his Local Guides friends: Alam, Rahul, and Deep at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco during Local Guides Summit 2017.

----------------------------------

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know @StephenAbraham. Say hi or ask him a question below as he has a lot to share about Google Maps and Connect.

Interested in becoming a Connect Moderator? Learn more here.

Want to learn about other Connect Moderators?

Learn more about Paul Pavlinovich - October 2018
Learn more about SampsonF - September 2018

Learn more about Sonia - August 2018

Learn more about Nunung - July 2018

Learn more about Shirley - June 2018

Learn more about Farid - April 2018

Learn more about Ludwig - March 2018

Learn more about Karen - February 2018

Learn more about Ivan - January 2018

Learn more about Ermes - December 2017

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
130 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet a Connect Moderator: Stephen

@StephenAbraham, one of the kindest Local Guides I "met" in Connect! 🙂

My postcard from #localguidesconnect live 2018 is one of my greatest perk in my Google shelves: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Special-gift-from-localguidesconnect/m-p/11...

And I can remember all the times we discussed about issues on SV and tested both new cameras sharing our results.

Seems to me that we know one each other since long time.

It's really great to read your feature, finally!

Thanks @Atsukot

Thank you for everything you do, @StephenAbraham. It was really nice to finally meet you in person last month. I loved reading more about you. The part about aromatic spices made me kinda hungry!

Connect Moderator

yayy

Loved to see you brother @StephenAbraham

Hi @LucioV, I really l ike your post. It is very nice to know a Local Guides friendship 🙂 Thank you for sharing the story with us!

Connect Moderator

@Atsukot Thanks for this new featured for our dearest Connect Mods. 

@StephenAbraham Congratulations and best wishes for your all good jobs and dedications for this community.

Happy Guiding !!

Level 8

Hi @StephenAbraham, apa khabar! It's cool to see fellow Malaysians featured in this forum. I'm quite amazed that you actually know Tamil and Malayalam too! Where did you pick it up?

Level 10

@Atsukot Thanks for sharing this and for your support always.

@brittym It was amazing meeting yourself and everyone in the team there. Felt so blessed to be part of the family. 

@LucioV I am glad you were the first to receive a postcard this year from me. And hopefully we can be there together next year. 

@OmerAli Mera bhai.. Aapse mil kar bahut kushi hui..  thanks for being our brother here in Malaysia.. and meet  you soon.. 

Thanks everyone for your kind words, friendship and support.

Level 8

Level 10

Thanks dear @Atsukot for sharing about beloved @StephenAbraham.

Indeed such a wonderful personality, extremely talented and having good team spirit,  simply and easy to assess.  

Even before get into official moderator,  he is been moderating many of WhatsApp group including our Chennai group.  

On behalf of our group I wish him all success. 

I too thank all other moderators for your selfless efforts. 

With regards

John Peter