Atsukot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet a Connect Moderator: Shirley

Editor's Note: This post was written previously and the featured Local Guide is not currently an active Connect Moderator.

Connect Moderators are Local Guides just like you and me, moderating Connect side-by-side with Googlers to help improve the experience for everyone. You may see them welcoming newcomers, explaining the program, answering questions, and sharing their knowledge with others.

Each month, we share some personal insights from our Connect Moderators. This June, meet @Shirley from Canada.

Name: Shirley

What I love about being a Local Guide: I found that I was relying on Google Maps a lot for my travels and just general exploration. It often frustrated me if the information about a place or business was incorrect, so I'd correct them. Similarly, I wanted to see honest reviews and photos that were helpful to me when I research places on Maps and felt that my contributions would be useful and relevant to others. -- (Editor’s note: Check out Shirley’s Chronicles of a Vancouver Local Guide.”)

Why I'm a Connect Moderator: There is a very vibrant community here on Connect. I really enjoy reading inspiring posts and also assisting others when a question arises.

My favorite place to explore: Whenever I travel, I often find something that is somewhat unusual to see or do. For example, in Iceland, I walked 8km (return) to see an old plane wreck. In Zagreb, I went to the Mirogoj Cemetery. In Tunisia, I wanted to go to a wedding. -- (Editor’s note: Learn more about Shirley’s travels in her post, “Your Most Adventurous Under 24 hour Layover?”)

My favorite type of contribution(s) to make on Google Maps: I don't know if I have a favourite type of contribution. I generally do what is conducive to what I am doing. For example, if I am out wandering and notice a new business or closed business, I make edits on Maps. If I'm reading about a new and upcoming restaurant, I check to see where they are on Maps and add them if they're not already there. I do enjoy eating out and will often take photos of my food to add onto Maps as well. I try to do reviews as I visit various places but sometimes that gets backlogged!

Languages I read/write/speak fluently: My mother tongue is Cantonese Chinese. I can speak and read fluently but writing takes a bit more time. I can also speak Mandarin Chinese. Taking reading, writing and speaking all into consideration, I'm most comfortable in English. I've learned 5 years of French and most of what I have retained are numbers, colours and random phrases/words.

Places I'd like to visit: Probably a tropical island, like Bora Bora, Turks & Caicos, Fiji. I want to explore more of Southeast Asia as well. Then back to Europe. Australia as well. There's no easy answer for this question.

One thing I'd like everyone to know about me: I love eating and trying new dishes and cuisines. Sometimes I think I would turn into a ball!

Caption: A photo of Shirley at Museum of Ice Cream in San Francisco during October 2017.Caption: A photo of Shirley at Museum of Ice Cream in San Francisco during October 2017.

Caption: A photo of Shirley at vacation in Tegallalang Rice Terrace - Bali during April 2018.Caption: A photo of Shirley at vacation in Tegallalang Rice Terrace - Bali during April 2018.

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know @Shirley. Say hi or ask her a question below as she has a lot to share about Google Maps and maps in general.

Interested in becoming a Connect Moderator? Learn more here.Interested in learning about other Connect Moderators?

Learn more about Ermes - ermest @ December 2017

Learn more about Ivan -  iyudhi @ January 2018

Learn more about Karen - KarenVChin @ February 2018

Learn more about Ludwig - LudwigGermany @ March 2018

Learn more about Farid - FaridMonti @ April 2018

Vancouver, BC, Canada
70 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Meet a Connect Moderator: Shirley

Hello @Atsukot, I think the sentence at the end needs 2 extra changes (him --> her and he --> she). Copy/paste is convenient but can be dangerous 😉 

And of course; hi @Shirley, hope to meet you in person in October!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Former Google Contributor

Fixed! You are totally right @JanVanHaver, I should be careful;) Thank you for catching! 

Level 9

Hello @Atsukot

As usual a very nice introduction post of another great member & connect moderator.

Hello @Shirley nice to know a bit more about you 🙂

I invite you to explore the beautiful tropical islands of Malaysia.

Level 10

Hi @Atsukot,

Thanks for sharing the star of this month!

Hi @Shirley

It is good to learn more from you.

See you both around

Jul

Level 9

Wao nice intro @Shirley

Thank you for sharing @Atsukot.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

Hi @Atsukot Thanks for introduce another great moderato Shirley. Hi @Shirley Nice to meet you. Best of Luck!

Dahlia flowerDahlia flower

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 9

Feels good to meet you again @Shirley, this time reading and knowing you more..... 

Thank you @Atsukot For sharing with us... 

Cheers!

A-Beta
Level 10

Hi @Atsukot it's a nice introduction about series of introduction of connect moderators,

Hi @Shirley it's great to know your thoughts and some fun facts about you,

Have a great time