Atsukot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet a Connect Moderator: Nunung Afuah

Connect Moderators are Local Guides just like you and me, moderating Connect side-by-side with Googlers to help improve the experience for everyone. You may see them welcoming newcomers, explaining the program, answering questions, and sharing their knowledge with others.

Each month, we share some personal insights from one of our amazing Connect Moderators. This month, meet @NunungAfuah from Indonesia. Nunung lived in Malang, a city in East Java, Indonesia, for four years as a student and loved joining their Car Free Days. She enjoys solo travel, like when she went to Bali for two days this past April, and connecting other Local Guides. Learn more about her below.

Caption: A photo of Nunung in front of a statue of Bung Karno (one of founding fathers of Indonesia) at Bung Karno Museum in Blitar, Indonesia.Caption: A photo of Nunung in front of a statue of Bung Karno (one of founding fathers of Indonesia) at Bung Karno Museum in Blitar, Indonesia.

Name: Nunung Afuah

What I love about being a Local Guide: I rely on Google Maps every time I travel. As a Local Guide, meeting new people and feeling how awesome it is to [feel like a] “local” in new places is the best thing I’ve found. I can connect with people all around [the world] without any borders (e.g., languages, cultures, etc.). One unforgettable moment of being a Local Guides was connecting Indonesia Local Guides. Batu Local Guides and I hold a national meet-up with over 100 Local Guides from Indonesia called Meet Up Nusantara. (The second Meet Up Nusantara is coming this August 2018!) My most favorite thing about being a Local Guide is that I was invited to the Local Guides Summit 2017 last year!

Why I'm a Connect Moderator: I do not know why I am a Connect Moderator (seriously). I just got addicted to reading all of the Connect posts made by fellow Local Guides. I found many inspiring stories and wonderful perspectives. I'm happy to see all the pictures uploaded as well. I love to answer questions from fellow Local Guides and I am glad that people are benefitting from the information I share. Helping people is exciting.

My favorite thing to explore: During my travels, seeing how local people interact [with each other] is my favorite thing. I am a picky eater, so finding food is not my favorite, but I do love to take pictures of places, foods, and historical buildings. Sometimes, I just want to explore places by walking around the city to find signs and take pictures. I did that when I was exploring in Singapore for four days last year.

My favorite type of contribution(s) to make on Google Maps: I do love writing reviews since I always search for reviews of new places I would like to go myself. To me, describing places can be really helpful to other people. You can help them imagine what it will be like to go there just by reading your reviews. As an organized person, I have to research something before traveling, like the transportation I should take, the money I should prepare to bring, etc. Google Maps gives me all I need as a traveler.

Languages I read/write/speak fluently: I was born in Java and Javanese is my mother tongue. I also learned a little bit of Arabic in school when I was a kid. Mostly, I speak and write Bahasa Indonesian. My major was English in college, so I'm comfortable speaking and writing in English for special occasions (such as communicating with Local Guides on Connect!)

Places I'd like to visit: I want to sleep in every place I visit. I want to know how it feels to sleep and wake up in a different environment. I want to visit Japan and Korea! Why? Well, it is because I love their TV drama series. 🙂

Fun fact about me: I could sleep for hours a day! I don't like to eat durian (as a fruit), but I like to eat durian pancakes!

Caption: A photo that shows attendees at the first Meet-up Nusantara hosted in Batu, Indonesia in August 2017.Caption: A photo that shows attendees at the first Meet-up Nusantara hosted in Batu, Indonesia in August 2017.

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know @NunungAfuah. Say hi or ask her a question below as she has a lot to share about Google Maps and Connect.

Interested in becoming a Connect Moderator? Learn more here.Want to learn about other Connect Moderators?

Learn more about Ermes - ermest @ December 2017

Learn more about Ivan -  iyudhi @ January 2018

Learn more about Karen - KarenVChin @ February 2018

Learn more about Ludwig - LudwigGermany @ March 2018

Learn more about Farid - FaridMonti @ April 2018

Learn more about Shirley - Shirley @ June 2018

Blitar, Blitar City, East Java, Indonesia
87 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet a Connect Moderator: Nunung Afuah

Well come Mam @Atsukot.

Level 8

Hi @Atsukot

Thank you for bringing our star of this month @NunungAfuah

Hello Nunung. :)))

Cheers

Level 10

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Atsukot, for another nice post. Through this post we got to know a little more about @NunungAfuah. I had a chance meeting her during last year summit. I found her really nice and very down to earth. 

Nunung, I was laughing reading about your fun fact. I can sleep for hours too. My longest sleep was for about 16 hours. Lol.

And yes, I don't like durian too or the similar fruit that we have in our country called jackfruit. But I like durian cakes. 🙂

Can't wait to meet you again in a few months. 🙂

Former Google Contributor

I feel so empowered by female solo travelers! 💪🏼

Connect Moderator

Nice to learn more about you @NunungAfuah!

That's interesting you don't like eating fresh durian, but you like eating if it is cooked?! Is it because of the texture and/or the smell when it is uncooked? Do you like durian ice cream, cake, popsicle, or cookies?

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Great to know more about  you @NunungAfuah

It seems yesterday when we met in San Francisco, together with the Indonesian team.

Caption: First day at Local Guides Summit '17Caption: First day at Local Guides Summit '17

So happy for the great opportunity of meeting you soon again

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Twinkle little star @Badruddeen 🙂

Hey @LucioV, you are my favorite Italian Local Guides! I love the way you share your stories with your 360 camera. Hope meet you in person someday 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Connect Moderator

@SoniaK loves to sleep too? Should we do pyjamas party then? LOL. Ah..ya jackfruit, we have it here.. last summit we didn't have anytime to talk, hope this year we can make it 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides