Atsukot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Sovita

Caption: A photo of Local Guide @SovitaD holding up a sign with the Google Maps logo at a meet-up. (Local Guide @SovitaD)Caption: A photo of Local Guide @SovitaD holding up a sign with the Google Maps logo at a meet-up. (Local Guide @SovitaD)

Local Guide Sovita (@SovitaD) from Kathmandu, Nepal wants to help people with disabilities get around. Through meet-ups and adding accessibility info on Google Maps, she’s making her area a more inclusive place.

We recently caught up with her to learn more about her commitment to helping those with accessibility needs.

Why are you interested in accessibility?
Seeing a considerable number of people in the streets of Kathmandu who use wheelchairs or have disabilities makes me eager to find out ways to help them as much as possible in different facets of life. My cousin has mobility challenges and often I find her struggling to cross roads and climb staircases in large buildings.

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps?
I believe that everyone can benefit from accessible technology irrespective of their physical condition.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?

I’ve helped organize meetups and small gatherings for discussion on these matters. Personally, I also add and answer accessibility related information whenever I visit new places.

What area (mobility, vision, hearing, etc.) are you most interested in improving?

Being in touch with few people with mobility challenges, preference would be mobility. But I’d love to see further advancement in all other areas as well.

What's your favorite Google Maps feature?

Real-time Location sharing which turned out to be popular among my family and friends circle.

Is there anything else we should know about you?

I am a passionate contributor to Google Maps since 2012. I’m a Local Guide with a passion to improve the quality of Maps in our locality. I will keep on contributing for the accuracy and reliability of this product.

Are you passionate about making Maps more inclusive? Tell us how you’re making a positive impact in the comments below.

57 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Sovita

wow , Congratulation @SovitaD 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10
Connect Moderator

Woo hooo @SovitaD! Congrats! 

Cheers,

Karen

#LGSummit17 alumnus 

Level 9

Thanks @Atsukot and the team for this opportunity.

I will definitely keep on doing my efforts for the matters regarding accessibility.  

Level 9

Thanks @MahabubMunna wish to get your support forever 🙂 

Level 9

Level 9

Connect Moderator

Fantastic job @SovitaD

Keep it up 👍👍👍👍

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9