AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Jesica

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Jesi posing in front of a fountain while wearing her DSLR camera around her neck. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Jesi)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Jesi posing in front of a fountain while wearing her DSLR camera around her neck. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Jesi)

As a Level 10 Local Guide, Jesica Lichtensztein (@Jesifrom Buenos Aires, Argentina has helped many, many people decide where to go through her contributions. She often shares reviews and photos that give a clear picture of what you can expect from a place before you actually get there. Crucially, Jesica also includes accessibility information in her contributions.

“I believe that showing accessibility information on Google Maps can make a great impact in the lives of people that need that information regularly,” Jesica told us. “And because Maps is pretty much the go-to mapping service for millions of people around the world, the accessibility information we add can reach a great number of people that need it.”

In addition to the photos and reviews she shares on Maps, Jesica has shown she is an Accessibility Champion by hosting and participating in many accessibility meet-ups and encouraging others on Connect to do the same. We recently caught up with her to learn more about her passion for helping others with accessibility needs. Check out our interview with her below.  

Why are you interested in accessibility?

I became interested in September 2017, when we were encouraged to add accessibility information on Google Maps. That month, @TraciC came to Buenos Aires and organized an accessibility meet-up where, among other things, we watched some videos that showed the difficulties some people face regarding wheelchair accessibility, and how having access to that kind of information on Maps can improve their lives. We then walked through the San Telmo neighborhood, which was mostly not wheelchair accessible.

That month and that meet-up made me realize how unnecessarily hard it can be for some people to move around their cities or, for example, find some restaurant to have dinner. At the same time, I realized how simple it is to make their lives a little easier by adding accessibility information on Maps.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information on Google Maps?

I have organized many accessibility meet-ups in my city. One of the accessible meet-ups I have hosted was Accessible Puerto Madero, which took place in one of the most touristic areas of the city. Still, most of it wasn't accessible. After that meet-up, I contacted the organization that makes sure the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities is obeyed in my city, letting them know about the problem. I plan to do the same with every similar issue we encounter in the future.

I've organized the first of these meet-ups as part of @EmekaUlor's  Worldwide Accessibility Walk, and the following as a One Accessibility member. The One Accessibility team is composed of Local Guides around the globe whose main objective is adding accessible information on Maps and encouraging the decision-makers of our communities to implement policies regarding accessibility. Each of us organizes at least one accessible meet-up a month and we create an Accessibility Uncovered post on a weekly basis.

Caption: A group photo of Local Guides @Jesi, @DanielEspinoza, @AdroGran, @CeciliaRatto, and a young boy during an accessibility meet-up Jesi organized in Barrio Chico, Buenos Aires. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Jesi)Caption: A group photo of Local Guides @Jesi, @DanielEspinoza, @AdroGran, @CeciliaRatto, and a young boy during an accessibility meet-up Jesi organized in Barrio Chico, Buenos Aires. (Courtesy of Local Guide @Jesi)

What area (mobility, vision, hearing, etc.) are you most interested in improving?

I'm interested in improving all areas, but I have been putting more effort in improving mobility. I've also been trying to improve the data regarding vision impairment on Maps. Whenever I come across a restaurant with a Braille menu, I make sure to include that information in my review. I would love if it was common for places to be wheelchair accessible, for restaurants to have Braille menus, and that my country and others that don't implement tactile paving in the streets.

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I wish other Local Guides knew how effortless it is to add accessibility information on Maps, and how much it can help. I wish everyone knew about the many ways you can contribute accessibility information to the map. To name a few, you can edit places, take photos of a place while focusing on its accessibility (such as entrance, seating area, and bathrooms), write how accessible it is in your review, and use the hashtag #accessible.

What's your favorite Google Maps feature?

Lists are my favorite feature. I mostly use them to organize and share the different kinds of great restaurants in my city and to plan which places to go to while on a trip. I’ve also created other kinds of helpful lists like kid-friendly restaurants and accessible places in an area. I plan to create more lists related to accessibility as I get more information. I always make sure to set every list with a distinctive topic to public, so others can benefit from it.

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program?

Just to browse Connect, check what others are sharing, and, if you're interested in any activity, try to do it yourself. You might end up liking it more than you imagined. I probably would have never thought of hosting an accessibility meet-up if I hadn't seen so many successful recaps of the sort before.

Besides accessibility, photography has also become one of my passions after looking at so many amazing photos in posts, and reading photography techniques by both Googlers and Local Guides.

How are you making an impact for people with accessibility needs? Tell us in the comments below!

216 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Jesica

@AriMar thanks for sharing.

Congratulations @Jesi , you deserve being highlighted.

See you around

Jul

Level 6

Great work dear Jesi. Keep it up. 

Level 10

Genia @Jesi siempre con su buena onda y organizando los Meet Up. Una persona destacada de la comunidad de Local Guides de Buenos Aires.

Instagram  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Web Page  |

Connect Moderator

Woohoo, @Jesi ! So glad to see you featured for your contributions, especially in the realm of accessibility. 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

@Jesi! is one of the best local guides ever, keep guiding and keep inspire all of us, thanks for sharing this inspiring post @AriMar !

Level 6

So good to see your post, from a new guide in a wheelchair, this is where I hope to "enlighten" people, make them aware of the obstacles I strike in every day Life. This can be from simply crossing the road in having to "wheel" a longer route as there is no where to get down/up on the foot path. I quite often have to wheel down the road simply for this reason, and some think I am crazy, until they realize why I have to do it.

To taking my dog for a walk and told to use off lease dog areas BUT where there is no access for my wheelchair and getting official complaint until explain why. All extra work and energy that I don't have.

To now being 11.00 am and still no Caregiver, so been up 3 hours but can't leave the house and carry on with my day, and do like my 1 minute video for the competition entry due in tonight.  I will get there but is frustrating. Alot more to share, and thanks for your post.

Level 8

Wow! what an amazing read @Jesi! You are a hero and so inspiring. From now on I will add more accessibility details in my reviews. Thank you both so much @AriMar  

Level 10

This is very cool, an attitude of genius. Sometimes we get the feeling that 'we can do a lot more for other people.