Atsukot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Ilankovan

Caption: A photo of Local Guide @IlankovanT standing in front of blue, red, green, and yellow balloons taken outdoors at Connect Live 2018. (Local Guide @IlankovanT)Caption: A photo of Local Guide @IlankovanT standing in front of blue, red, green, and yellow balloons taken outdoors at Connect Live 2018. (Local Guide @IlankovanT)

From sustainability to accessibility, Ilankovan Thushyantha (@IlankovanT) has many different passions as an active member of our community. Recently, the Local Guide from Colombo, Sri Lanka was even given an award for his eco-mapping efforts by e-Swabhimani, an initiative created by the Information Communication Technology Agency of Sri Lanka to recognize excellence in digital applications across the country.

Now, we’d like to recognize Illankovan for his efforts to make the map more inclusive for all through his Local Guides contributions. He creates lists to help others find accessible places in his area, includes accessibility info in his reviews and photos, and has hosted accessibility meet-ups in his area.  

We caught up with him to learn more about his experience improving the map for all.

First, could you tell us about winning an e-Swabhimani award for your eco-mapping efforts?

The award is under the Environment and Green Energy category for planting and mapping trees. I help to show the world where the tree has been planted based on the location and upload a photograph at the beginning as well as throughout the progress of the plant. I have now undertaken a challenge of planting 1 billion trees for this campaign and there are many Local Guides and volunteers who have joined on this mission.

As my next step, I have started educating school children and students about tree planting, the use of Google Maps, and other free tools available. This can enhance kids knowledge about IT and the environment and encourage them to do more using Google Maps and related products.

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps?
I have been a passionate volunteer to the community since my school days. Apart from what I have done for my community, the Local Guides program gave me a path to do quite a lot through a digital platform for almost everyone out there whenever they travel. Doing this for a considerable period, I realized the existence of a separate component of the community, those with the real need, the differently-abled people. Helping them through Google Maps to navigate easier gave me a contented feeling which I started nurturing being a Local Guide.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?
I often add information about accessibility on Google Maps. Even though we add things to the map, people who need accessibility features should get introduced to the technology. Considering this, I started reaching out to them and letting them know that there are these features they can use for navigation.

Are there any posts on Connect or meet-ups you've hosted that help demonstrate your contributions around accessibility to Local Guides, Google Maps, and your community?
I have had a remarkable experience hosting meetups for differently-abled people and have now connected with some non-profit organizations to support them.

Here are a few of my posts about them:

Join hands to help millions in Sri Lanka - Accessibility Meet-Up

Satisfaction is when you give the right thing for those who are in the real need!

Master RECAP - Worldwide - Meet-up to help others get around in October

What's your favorite Google Maps feature?
When I talk about accessibility, my favorite feature is voice search. At a meet-up I hosted some time ago, I saw the power of voice search firsthand. A few visually impaired participants of my meet-up struggled to input what they wanted on Google Maps. So, I taught them the voice search feature and it made their task easier. The voice search became my favorite feature then after.

Are you passionate about making Maps more inclusive? Tell us how you’re making a positive impact in the comments below.

41 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Ilankovan

@IlankovanT I loved reading more about your interests and goals. I agree that it all stems from education - whether you are educating young people about how to use technology for good, or educating differently-abled people about how Google Maps can help them! Well done, Meet-up Superstar! 🌟

Connect Moderator

The meet up superstar @IlankovanT! You are really inspiring. Glad to meet you in person last year 😉

Indonesia Local Guides
Connect Moderator

The meet up superstar @IlankovanT! You are really inspiring. Glad to meet you in person last year 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Connect Moderator

I completely agree @brittym @IlankovanT is truly a Local Guides superstar with all his interests and his abilities to put them up on Google Maps to help his community (and the rest of the world) be aware of them.

it’s amazing Ilankovan has the time and energy to do all of this, plus be a Local Guide Community Owner, Connect Moderator, work full time, and be a husband and a father. Ilankovan is definitely someone to learn from and be inspired. He falls under the very special, tiny group as a member of  what @AvelManansala calls “Local Guides Living Legend.”

@Atsukot, thanks so much for showcasing Ilankovan here on Local Guides Connect as an Accessibility Champion.

As for me, what I like to include in my Local Guides reviews, in particular, are mentioning whether there are diaper changing tables in public restrooms for parents or caregivers like me, including photos, in the places I patron or visit:

Found at The Girl and the Fig, a Sonoma, CA restaurantFound at The Girl and the Fig, a Sonoma, CA restaurant

Found at The Girl and the Fig, a Sonoma, CA restaurantFound at The Girl and the Fig, a Sonoma, CA restaurant

I am fortunate to live in an area that these essential items can be found in women’s restrooms and more and more in men’s restrooms (say it for the Dads out there who want and have to change diapers).  Having these tables mean I can leave my house with my wee ones and not have to change them literally in the trunk of my car or on a public park's table or on the grass  I wonder how mothers of the past handled this and how homebound one can be because of this.  I also realize not everyone has access to these tables in public restrooms. Sometimes, I am quite surprised to not find them even though the restaurant has high chairs. 

Personally, I never thought about stuff like this and how it can impact my mobility. Hence, this is the reason why I include this in my reviews for all the parents and caregivers like me who face this challenge everytime I leave my house with my kids.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Atsukot for this important post about @IlankovanT, a friend, a fellow Connect Moderator, and a great Local Guide. I am very proud when I can say "Hey, I know this great Local Guide".

I have learned a lot from him, thanks to Ilankovan and to Local Guides program in my contributions on Google Maps I put more attention about environment and accessibility

Caption: accessible bathroom at SFA - Local Guide @ermestCaption: accessible bathroom at SFA - Local Guide @ErmesT

Caption: Accessibility at Muir Wood National Park - California - Photos by Local Guide @ermestCaption: Accessibility at Muir Wood National Park - California - Photos by Local Guide @ErmesT

Congratulations Ilankovan, you deserve it

Caption: Selfie in the morning for three Connect Moderators: @FaridMonti - @IlankocanT - @ermestCaption: Selfie in the morning for three Connect Moderators: @FaridMonti - @IlankocanT - @ErmesT

Level 10

I know that you are very passionate about this @IlankovanT

It is quite right for you to be evaluated👏

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 8

You ate the Champion, @IlankovanT!

Thank you very much for making Maps better for everyone!

Level 8

Congratulations @IlankovanT. You are a champion and inspiration for us.

Level 10

@Atsukot

Yes off course he deserve million Kudos for the unrelenting determination, making it pragmatic. Yes certainly he is a .

Thanks & Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev