DeniGu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Meet Accessibility Champion, Ermes

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Ermes Tuon holding a model of the Earth and giving a speech during Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Local Guide Ermes Tuon holding a model of the Earth and giving a speech during Connect Live 2018.

For December 3, the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, we want to tell you more about one Local Guide, who champions accessibility across different platforms: Google Maps, Google Earth, and Google Crowdsource. 

Meet Ermes Tuon (@ErmesT), a passionate mobility advocate who lives in Treviso, Italy. Ermes has a lot to say about mapping accessibility and his unique project, Accessible Life, so read along to learn more.

Why are you interested in accessibility?

My mom was disabled and in a wheelchair. Taking care of her, I learned to pay attention to places accessible for a wheelchair.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information on Google Maps?

Apart from responding to all the accessibility questions, I am highlighting ramps and accessibility indications through my photos and reviews. Of course, I also [say] when a place is not accessible. Here is my review of a place I added. 

What accessibility projects are you involved in?

The project is called Accessible Life. It aims to create a map of accessible paths and natural places around the world, and in this way, to give the opportunity to a person to find accessible places in nature and explore them [virtually] before visiting.

On May 5, 2019, Summit Alumni were invited to test a tool for creating a story on Google Earth. I fell in love with it, as it was what I was looking for to make my project more effective. The project on Google Earth is a work in progress, but it was featured by the team on all social channels when the tool became public. I'm volunteering with a non-profit association, too, and we created a specific area for the improvement of this project

I recently joined the Geo For Good Summit 2020, and I was greatly surprised to have a Google Earth developer join my meet-up [during the event]. I think this is a good way to get motivated to continue. The final result will be a puzzle of single places, all linked on Google Earth, starting from continents down to countries, regions, provinces, and towns.

Caption: A photo of Ermes holding a model of the Earth and giving a speech during Connect Live 2018.Caption: A photo of Ermes holding a model of the Earth and giving a speech during Connect Live 2018.

What's your favorite Google Maps feature? What one feature would you like to see on Google Maps?

If I have to make a choice, I’d say lists. My Accessible pathways and beaches list is featured in Google Maps.

I would like to see on Maps a link to our public projects on Google Earth. That would push more people to work on [such projects].

[Also,] I think that the business listings on Maps should be improved [by] creating a specific tab for accessibility information. In the "About" tab, you can find some information, but the photos in the “Photos” tab are all mixed up, and there is no way to make sure that photos of ramps are easy to find. That will help a lot both the Local Guides who contribute and the users who look for those contributions.

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

As I’ve said many times, disability is not a choice. I think Google and the Local Guides, especially through the tireless efforts of the One Accessibility team, are learning the importance of highlighting accessible features and places on Google Maps. 

What many Local Guides seem to forget is that a different, and much more common experience—that of parents with children [in strollers], can help them understand the difficulties of a person with reduced mobility. I would love to see the phrase "and/or a stroller" follow the word "wheelchair" in most of the accessibility questions on Google Maps.

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program?

Be yourself and follow your instinct. I joined Local Guides because I wanted to help my country after the earthquake, and through the program, I discovered a way to contribute, help others, and be creative.

Are there any posts on Connect or meet-ups you've hosted that help demonstrate your contributions around accessibility to Local Guides, Google Maps, and your community?

I have written several posts related to Accessible Life. I will host my first Local Guides meet-up to present Accessible Life during the Community Live event. 

Apart from that, I presented the project together with @Kwiksatik during the Geo For Good Summit 2020, and I hosted a meet-up with @KarenVChin in Crowdsource about signs for people with vision impairment. Behind the gamification, we are doing something important and helpful. On September 28, Accessible Life was also presented at the Italian Sustainable Development Festival.

Is there anything else we should know about you?

I love to take photos, and all the content published in Accessible Life is mine. All Local Guides who want to contribute will be asked to use only their original content.

Are you or someone you know an Accessibility Champion? Tell us how you’re making a positive impact in the comments below or nominate another Local Guide using our nomination form.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Treviso, Province of Treviso, Italy
79 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Ermes

Congratulations, @ErmesT!

You are such a generous source of inspiration, I am now adding all of your Accessible Life posts to my reading list. 🙂

I also love lists and I would love to see more of them. When I visit a new place I always look for itinerary suggestions and lists are very useful. For anyone else interested in knowing more about it, I suggest the following pages:

Create a list of places

Helpful tips for making a good list

Keep rocking, @ErmesT, and happy guiding! 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

@ErmesT Congrats! So deserving of this mention.

Connect Moderator

OMG, @DeniGu 

I am speechless. Many things happened in the latest weeks, and impacted strongly my personal life. However, this is motivating me mo move forward faster, because, especially during the pandemic, the life was becoming harder for people with disability.The lockdown impacted the life of people with limited mobility more then the life of the other people, because they had less, limited support.

So I hope that I can really move forward in a fast way.

Every Local Guide is welcome to contribute to the project.

I am working on the specifications right now, to be able to give to everyone a master document to work with.

I hope a lot of people will join during Community Live, for letting them know more about the Accessible life program.

In any case, more meet-ups will be hosted on 2021 about Accessible life

Caption: A walkable bridge with a person in a  wheelchair, and the text "Accessible Life - on Google Earth" - photo and graphic @ermestCaption: A walkable bridge with a person in a wheelchair, and the text "Accessible Life - on Google Earth" - photo and graphic @ErmesT

The photo below is one of my photo of accessibility, and has been taken during our activities related to the Earthquake. Everything is always connected in our life

Accessible Life Main Cover.png

I want to add a special thanks to two persons who deeply contributed for making this possible.

• My mom. She passed away a few days ago. She's the person who gave me the possibility to learn how difficult can the life be, when you can't move without an help
  • @sashabg77 , who always pushed me to move forward. Thanks for this

Caption: Sasha and Ermes at Connect live 2019Caption: Sasha and Ermes at Connect live 2019

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT!!! One of the person who not only inspired me but motivated me whenever I need it. I love the title of Accessibility Champion with his name, because many of his actions and articles thought me how we should contribute for the people with different abilities.

I m so happy today and want to say  Heartfelt Congratulations to you my Mentor Ermes Toun 😍

Thank you @DeniGu, You made my day 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

huge respect. @ErmesT is among the few passionate influencers who steered a majority of us in the right direction. With Accessibility and clean the world campaigns, ermes enlightened the entire local guides community and I am personally so happy that I met him in person, followed his lead and now try to work on these causes in my capacity. 

Thank you for being so kind and helpful to everyone in this community and thanks once again for giving us reasons to think about what really matters.

Connect Moderator

Congratulation @ErmesT with this nomination! Truly Accessibility Champion! You are great inspiration for Local Guides community! I'm learning a lot from you and will be happy to learn more and more!

Thank you! A big hug from Ukraine!

Connect Moderator

Congrats @ErmesT and great to read up about all the amazing things that you've accomplished! And I'm looking forward to even bigger successes in the future! 

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 8

@ErmesT, Congratulations..!!!

You are one of the best LGs we always look up to.

Well deserved..

🤩🎉🥳🥳🥳👏👏👏

Cheers...!!!!

Level 9

Congratulations @ErmesT ....