TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Emeka

Great @EmekaUlor

Thanks @TraciC for bringing us this story.

Cheers

Level 10

Yipee!!! Thanks a million @TraciC for this lovely post - "Meet Accessibility Champion, Emeka". @EmekaUlor is no doubt an Accessibility-freak Local Guide. Below are 2 of several photos from Lagos Transit Tour meet-up (hosted by @EmekaUlor) - during which we agreed to look out for accessible trails #wheelchair #auditory #visual and others. 

Emeka during Lagos Transit Tour Meet-UpEmeka during Lagos Transit Tour Meet-UpSanya, Matilda, Emeka & Ahmed - during Lagos Transit Tour Meet-UpSanya, Matilda, Emeka & Ahmed - during Lagos Transit Tour Meet-Up

@TraciC wrote:

Black and white image of Emeka (top right with glasses) and fellow Local Guides at a meet-up.Black and white image of Emeka (top right with glasses) and fellow Local Guides at a meet-up.

Meet Emeka Ulor (@EmekaUlor) , a Local Guide from Lagos, Nigeria who cares deeply about accessibility. Emeka hosts meet-ups and shares posts on Connect that inspire others to care about accessibility.

We recently caught up with Emeka to learn more about his passion. Below are his responses which have been lightly edited for clarity.

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps?

I have a close friend who's physically challenged. We attended the same high school and did so many things together. His desire is to move around the world, independently, but he faces accessibility challenges. It seems people with accessibility needs are not being considered in urban development project designs. So, when I found out that Google Maps has features to help people with disabilities and special needs, I told him about it and began to highlight accessibility in my contributions. I hope to one day see people with physical, mobility, visual, auditory, or cognitive disabilities move around unassisted [by others] in our society.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?

Since I discovered Google Maps provides accessibility information, I have made several reviews that include information about wheelchair accessible parking, entrances, restrooms, and seating. Answering questions about wheelchairs is a regular for me. It has become compulsory to take photos of accessible trails, where available, and adding them to my reviews. Also, I have talked to some managers at various public facilities to consider accessibility.

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I wish every Local Guide understood that people with disabilities want to be independent and free like any other person. They feel happier getting things done without [other people’s] assistance. Secondly, all Local Guides should know that the United Nations recognizes the rights of people with disabilities to live a fulfilled life withou.... Local Guides should take it as a duty to help our communities make it a reality.

What has your experience with the Local Guides program been like so far? Any words of wisdom for other Local Guides  looking to find their passion through the program?

Wow! So, I became a Local Guide by coincidence: happily answering questions and see where I am right now [a Local Guide Level 9]? I love traveling, writing and inspiring young people. I am also passionate about the environment, sports and I love sharing information. A combination of these interests makes me feel joyful and Local Guides program has given me such a platform.

I would emphasize these major tips for finding your passion as a Local Guide:

• Be ready and open to meet new friends. Local Guides boasts a large array of professionals from various backgrounds, so you could find some who shares in your zeal. I met some Local Guides who are drone experts, graphic designers, and digital media strategists.
  • Organize different meet-ups like a food crawl, photo walk, map editing, geo walk, and fun activities that can bring people together. You’ll definitely find one that will bring you joy.

Anything else you’d like to share?

At the recent Lagos Local Guide Forum, I was given a topic to present. The topic was “Going Green with Google Maps.” I couldn’t wait; I did some research and discovered wonderful new things. I got to learn about Google Earth projects on pollution, accessibility meet-ups, and other environmental initiatives across the world. Local Guides is a place to gain new knowledge.

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know Emeka better and are inspired to find your passion, whether it’s accessibility or something else. You can check out Emeka’s Google Maps contributions here.

Are you a Local Guide passionate about accessibility? Do you have another passion? Let us know in the comments below!

Level 10

Truly @EmekaUlor is one of the most gentle, free spirited, caring and low voiced local guides I've met. I can't begin to enumerate other things you do make life better for others on Google maps that I've witnessed first hand. Let's keep up the good work bro. Congratulations and you deserve so many  accolades! 

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Connect Moderator

Thank you for this post @TraciC

I know very well the tireless support that @EmekaUlor is putting in several initiatives in his country, and I am a big supportes of him.

So good, and all the time smiling. Hios smile is contagious, Traci, because everything seems to be easy, whidh a smile, while I very well know the hard job that is behind this kind of activities.

High five to you, my friend

Ermes

Level 2

sistem app stores

Level 7

Wow. This is inspirational indeed. I'll start paying more attention to accessibility issues so that next time I write a review I can add info on this matter. 

Connect Moderator

@EmekaUlor, no need to thank me. = ) You are doing all the hard work in your city, not me! You deserve this recognizition and wish you much luck turning your accessibility dreams into reality. 

All I ask is for you to please keep posting here about your Lagos Local Guides experiences on Connect.  We can follow your personal journey into making accessibility, a given, a right, to all those who need it to be independently mobile on their own 8n your city. Sound like a plan? 

Cheers,

Karen 

Connect Moderator

@KarenVChin thank you. 

Of course, I'll keep this going and hopefully it will transform and kickstart a movement.

We got a plan! 

💚

Emeka 

Connect Moderator

@Pao-Argentina you are awesome, glad to have you take this decision. Thanks 

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT you inspire me. I wish, I could do so much like you do.

I will keep watching and learning.

Emeka