TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Meet Accessibility Champion, Emeka

Black and white image of Emeka (top right with glasses) and fellow Local Guides at a meet-up.Black and white image of Emeka (top right with glasses) and fellow Local Guides at a meet-up.

Meet Emeka Ulor (@EmekaUlor), a Local Guide from Lagos, Nigeria who cares deeply about accessibility. Emeka hosts meet-ups and shares posts on Connect that inspire others to care about accessibility.

We recently caught up with Emeka to learn more about his passion. Below are his responses which have been lightly edited for clarity.

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps?

I have a close friend who's physically challenged. We attended the same high school and did so many things together. His desire is to move around the world, independently, but he faces accessibility challenges. It seems people with accessibility needs are not being considered in urban development project designs. So, when I found out that Google Maps has features to help people with disabilities and special needs, I told him about it and began to highlight accessibility in my contributions. I hope to one day see people with physical, mobility, visual, auditory, or cognitive disabilities move around unassisted [by others] in our society.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?

Since I discovered Google Maps provides accessibility information, I have made several reviews that include information about wheelchair accessible parking, entrances, restrooms, and seating. Answering questions about wheelchairs is a regular for me. It has become compulsory to take photos of accessible trails, where available, and adding them to my reviews. Also, I have talked to some managers at various public facilities to consider accessibility.

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I wish every Local Guide understood that people with disabilities want to be independent and free like any other person. They feel happier getting things done without [other people’s] assistance. Secondly, all Local Guides should know that the United Nations recognizes the rights of people with disabilities to live a fulfilled life withou.... Local Guides should take it as a duty to help our communities make it a reality.

What has your experience with the Local Guides program been like so far? Any words of wisdom for other Local Guides  looking to find their passion through the program?

Wow! So, I became a Local Guide by coincidence: happily answering questions and see where I am right now [a Local Guide Level 9]? I love traveling, writing and inspiring young people. I am also passionate about the environment, sports and I love sharing information. A combination of these interests makes me feel joyful and Local Guides program has given me such a platform.

I would emphasize these major tips for finding your passion as a Local Guide:

• Be ready and open to meet new friends. Local Guides boasts a large array of professionals from various backgrounds, so you could find some who shares in your zeal. I met some Local Guides who are drone experts, graphic designers, and digital media strategists.
  • Organize different meet-ups like a food crawl, photo walk, map editing, geo walk, and fun activities that can bring people together. You’ll definitely find one that will bring you joy.

Anything else you’d like to share?

At the recent Lagos Local Guide Forum, I was given a topic to present. The topic was “Going Green with Google Maps.” I couldn’t wait; I did some research and discovered wonderful new things. I got to learn about Google Earth projects on pollution, accessibility meet-ups, and other environmental initiatives across the world. Local Guides is a place to gain new knowledge.

We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know Emeka better and are inspired to find your passion, whether it’s accessibility or something else. You can check out Emeka’s Google Maps contributions here.

Are you a Local Guide passionate about accessibility? Do you have another passion? Let us know in the comments below!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
90 comments
Level 9

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Emeka

@EmekaUlor is indeed a great Local guide,

i am intrigue by his humble personality yet eager to help contribute more on google maps with respect to accessibility.

I have attended one of such meetup here in Lagos and i learnt a lot from him. 

Nigeria  
Level 9

Wonderful & a very thought provoking story.

Best of luck for all your future endeavours @AustinCO

Thanks for sharing it with us Traci 

Level 7

Thanks @TraciC for sharing.

Indeed he is a great environmentalist.

@EmekaUlorhad volunteered to clean up the Kids Beach Gardens by collecting plastic trashes on the seashore also planted trees. They have uploaded some Photos.

WellI I can say he care for both Digital World and real World. 😛

Level 10

He is definitely an accessibility champion @TraciC.  Emeka well done man and keep up the good work you are doing in making an impact in our community to help people make informed decisions of places. He is very passionate in making an impact in our community. Here is a photo I took for him during our Nigeria Local Guides Volunteer Day.

SRP_3145.JPG

Level 8

thanks so Inspirational....

MaxMaz08
Level 10

@TraciC Thank you for sharing. @EmekaUlor is indeed passionate about accessibility on Google Map. He’s come to me severally to pick my brains about the accessibility campaign as regards the Local Guides Program. I’m immensely elated to see him featured today as Accessibility Chmapion. 

Keep up the good work bro. God bless you. 

Connect Moderator

You are always inspiring @EmekaUlor 

You are Go Green champion that care about environment... keep up the good work...

Thanks for sharing with us @TraciC

As usual we will continue to do more for the accessibility of places in Lagos and around Nigeria.

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 8

@TraciC, Thanks for acknowledgement of writings of Emeka and also thanks @EmekaHouse for this important article. It is true that disable people is always deprived in our society. So, helping of them is really a noble work. I had a friend, named Belal, when I was a student of University of Dhaka. He was blind. We all were helpful for him to complete his study. But now when I see that google family is playing a vital role for disable people I feel really proud of this platform as a small member. Moshtak Ahammed, Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is so great. Emeka is quite known here in Nigeria for his accessibility drive. It's good to see him get recognized here. Thanks @TraciC . Well done @EmekaUlor